Where to buy cheep RAM

chaseg22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
Hey guys, So I am finally upgrading my ram for the first time!
I have the iMac G5 (iSight) 17". I currently have 512 MB of ram and I believe can upgrade to 2. I am not looking to max out this machine I just want the cheapest ram possible, its more of a project for me than anything. Any suggestions or links will be greatly appreciated, I know there have been other posts about this and I have looked for them, but I wanted to make sure it was the right ramm for the G5 iMac :) Thanks guys! (any tips or guides will help too!)

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
http://www.macsales.com is probably your best bet for guaranteed compatibility or if you are in the states, you can go to newegg.com and get cheaper ram but maybe not guaranteed to work with your model.

Sandman1969

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2007
Macsales is awesome. I ordered the max memory for our two older iMacs and I am getting ready to order the 16GB upgrade for our two soon to be arriving new iMacs. Though I am getting the 16GB. The wife can have my 4gb. I think she will be fine with 8GB... for now.

I still can't get over how cheap 4GB chips are now. :eek:

chaseg22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
Last edited by a moderator:

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
I also heard for the best performance it is good to have even amount of ram, i.e. two 512 MB instead of a 512MG +1GB. Is this true?

So I found this:
http://www.edgetechcorp.com/ram/App...710LL%2fA)-Late-2006/APLMB00002GMA369G-Memory
This might be a silly question but is this RAM any faster or slower than the ram that MAc can install (which is usually VERY expensive?) or is it all relatively the same?
apple does not sell ram that they make ! they are a middle man never buy ram directly from apple. if the link I you gave is the correct ram for your machine buy it now the price is good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.