Where to buy mac floppies?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by laserspot1, Jun 10, 2012.

1. laserspot1 macrumors newbie

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Where can i get new mac floppies?:

A couple bundles of mac floppies.

Font disks as well.

2. Ricky Smith macrumors regular

3. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

LOL...I haven't bought floppies in a decade! Plenty of other sites though, I just posted one USA outfit...5.4's How times have changed..Now we have our 16GB sticks, Pegasus arrays etc! I remember feeding em in though!:)

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

5 1/4 are for sissies. Real computer users stick to 8 inchers.

5. gpat macrumors 6502a

That's what she said!

6. NorCalLights macrumors 6502a

If you mean 3.5" disks (not really "floppy"... but...):

I buy them from Staples... I still have to use them for work sometimes. They say they're "PC Formatted" but they work fine on my Mac.

I'll say the quality has really gone down over the last 5 years or so. They work fine for transferring data from computer to computer, but I really wouldn't suggest "storing" data on them. Don't expect to come back to a disk after a year and find the data intact.

I'm still using the USB floppy drive I bought with my 400MHz Power Mac G4. Brings back memories every time.

7. Dkrogh macrumors member

8. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

Is there any good reason to use them?

9. haze macrumors regular

No!

10. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

If you still have an old Mac that needs floppies, then yes. If I had an old Mac Classic or even a Performa, I'd probably try to get some of the old classic games running on it, and I'd probably need floppies for some of that.

jW

11. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

To OP

What kinds of floppies are you looking for. As others have asked are you looking for the 3.5" or the 5 1/4" kind?

You can usually find some 3.5" floppies at a thrift store for a buck or two. Most are still sealed in plastic. You don't need to look for specific Mac versions either. The PC kind will work just fine as long as you reformat the floppy.

12. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

Don't those machines have USB ports? Thus using a flash drive would be better. If so, just use a floppy drive to make ISO images of the floppies and then you're set to go. If no USB port, than I'm not sure what you could do.

13. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

USB on a Classic? You must be out of your mind. You must not be familiar with these, they're from long before USB was even invented.

jW

14. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

Yup, haven't seen one. I have only been a Mac guy for 10 years.

15. s15119 macrumors 65816

s15119

16. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Ah, not surprising. BTW, that wasn't meant to be insulting, and I hope you didn't take it that way. I'm hoping I'm reading from your response that you didn't.

jW

17. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

Nah, no problems man. What do you use a machine like that for though? Or is it just for your collection? :D

18. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

If you bought a synthesizer for several thousand dollars that stores samples on floppy disk, and you have the choice of throwing away a perfectly fine music instrument and replacing it by something modern that was probably built by people who don't know the first thing about music, or use floppy disks, what would you do?

19. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Oh, I unfortunately don't have one. My oldest machine right now is an iBook G3. I just wish I could get one of those, or something similar. It was more an example of what someone might need the floppies for.

jW