Where to Buy MacBook Pro Anti-Static Orange Tape?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by sgt*pepper, May 16, 2009.

1. sgt*pepper macrumors newbie

Hello all,

I need to purchase some of the orange anti-static tape that Apple uses to cover the connections on logic boards. I recently fixed a MBP (2.4GHz SR 15") and need to find some tape for the board. I know it isn't a completely crucial component, however, I would like to make my computer look as if it were new. If anyone knows where to buy this tape, the exact tape, not another version, please post a reply or email me. Thank you.

Pepper

2. Rhalliwell1 macrumors 6502a

here or here(US)

3. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Are you trying to salvage your warranty? I wish you the best of luck

4. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

5. sgt*pepper thread starter macrumors newbie

no, this computer is out of warranty. but the casing on it was bent, so i switched the internals. had to make some adjustments in the heat-sink and stuff to get it all to fit, but it runs great now. but something about the authenticity of a new mac makes me tingle inside. plus, i feel like if apple puts it in there, there's probably a reason. ergo, i want the tape. thanks for the responses.

6. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

The tape is "Kapton" brand polyimide tape (Dupont). You can find it all over, but I purchased a roll on eBay (it was a bit cheaper).

It's much tougher stuff than plain plastic electrician's tape and has much better anti-static properties (you can Google "Kapton" for the details). Personally, I wouldn't use that, unless it were an emergency. Plain plastic tape gets a static charge just unrolling it. They're banned in static-control environments.