Where to buy Snow Leopard- Apple website, Amazon, or Apple retail?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ibadukefan, Aug 24, 2009.

1. ibadukefan macrumors newbie

I will be a block away from the Apple Store (Stockton) in San Francisco on Friday the 28th. I want to get Snow Leopard as early in the day as possible. When Leopard was released in the Apple Store it was at 6pm and there was a huge line. If I ordered it from the Apple website or Amazon could it be delivered earlier in the day or could it be delivered later, possibly another day? Any insight here would be appreciated.

2. benpatient macrumors 68000

amazon is no tax and free shipping. if i get it a couple days later that's fine with me, then i won't have to worry about the .0 crashes that always happen and cause a .1 release a week later.

3. GoHack macrumors member

I just ordered mine from Apple, w/free shipping, and if ordered by Wednesday, they guarantee a Friday delivery.

You can bet that there will be long lines at the stores on Friday, so why not order it, and still get it by Friday, w/o waiting? ;)

4. ibadukefan thread starter macrumors newbie

I expect this response with a username like that! :)

5. itsallinurhead macrumors 6502

itsallinurhead

Will they be giving out shirts at apple retail?

6. MKCLLNS macrumors member

If they did this I would cancel my online order and go to the shop.

7. dborja macrumors 6502a

Same here! I ordered from Amazon but am willing to pay the 9.25% CA sales tax on the family pack for a shirt... :D

8. macfanboy macrumors 6502a

im so glad im gonna be on vacation in illinois for Aug 28

9. dborja macrumors 6502a

Lucky you! Unfortunately, it will cost me a bit more than the $4.62 to fly out to IL and avoid the 9.25% tithe...:eek:

10. uaecasher macrumors 65816

uaecasher

I would take it from apple store (not online) to feel the experience :D

11. benpatient macrumors 68000

was just told that they won't let you erase/install without having a valid copy of 10.5 running on the machine already with the non-box-set version. that means it won't be as simple as sticking a copy of 10.5 retail DVD into the drive to verify, and if you have a blank hard drive for any reason, or need to erase/install, then you'll have to completely install 10.5 before installing 10.6.

that is a big pile of FAIL, and while I have a hard time believing it to be true, I am not risking 30 dollars to find out, so I will be even more patient and wait to see if that's true later this week.

I just cancelled my preorder. seriously.

12. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Amazon is not tax free, they just do not charge it up front.

13. benpatient macrumors 68000

what do you mean?

I have never paid taxes on any order shipped from Amazon.

14. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That makes no sense, they either charge it, or they don't. If they don't charge it then they're by definition tax free.

btw, back on topic, I went with the apple store, in fact as soon as the store was back online, I threw my order in, even though they charge the sales tax.

15. teiresias macrumors regular

States that have passed legislation to tax online sales have an area on your state income tax form that basically reads:

"Have you made any online purchases this year for which you were not charged sales tax? If so, please itemize these purchases and use worksheet #1111 to determine applicable sales tax."

Basically, it's on the honor system in those states.

16. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

That's the price you pay in exchange for it being only $30, as opposed to $140 or so the last time.

In any case, considering the Zero times I've had to reinstall Leopard on my macs this doesn't phase me.

17. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

Myself and several other people who have called their local Apple Stores have been told there are no special store hours or availability times, it will just go on sale when they open Friday morning. I'm still debating whether I want to go down there or not, or order online. The whole "release day delivery" thing complicates my decision. :(

18. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Orders Subject to Sales Tax

The amount of tax charged depends upon many factors, including the identity of the seller, the type of item purchased, and the destination of the shipment.

Items sold by Amazon.com LLC, or its subsidiaries, and shipped to destinations in the states of Kansas, Kentucky, New York, North Dakota, or Washington are subject to tax.

For sales tax purposes, electronically delivered products (e-books, e-documents, and electronically delivered software) are considered to be shipped to your credit card billing address.

No sales tax is charged when purchasing gift certificates; however, purchases paid for with gift certificates may be subject to tax.

19. Richdmoore macrumors 65816

Richdmoore

I am not sure if I should cancel my Amazon pre-order (used a gift card) and go directly to the apple store. In the past, has apple had midnight launch events, giveaways, or other "extra" stuff at all of their retail outlets, or just the flagship stores.

20. ibadukefan thread starter macrumors newbie

Since it will be available first thing in the morning, I'm gonna get in line early and enjoy the people and the experience! Thanks for all the input.

21. ki2594 macrumors 6502a

Wait is that a 100% sure that it will deliver on friday if u order by wednesday? I ordered earlier this morning via the up to date program online, so i'm gonna get it by friday!? :) (atm Apple says it will "Ship by August 28th")

22. macfanboy macrumors 6502a

has anyone found out the delivery date for amazon prime users?

23. wase4711 macrumors regular

24. dborja macrumors 6502a

None yet. But, as I recall, Amazon also tried to deliver on the launch dates of previous Mac OS X versions.

25. dborja macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the tip. I'll check it out...