Where to find good meat?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by phas3, Apr 25, 2012.

1. phas3 macrumors 65816

Me and my girlfriend want to start eating better meat, meat that isn't pumped with all these hormones and steroids whatever. We don't like it.

So what are some markets, preferrably those that are found in California sell good meat?

2. soloer macrumors 6502a

soloer

I believe you can find what you're looking for at Trader Joe's. And if Trader Joe's has it, probably Whole Foods as well.

3. eric/ Guest

eric/

Farmer's markets are a great place. Depending on where you live, some cities have these kind of markets as well.

You can also check labels at your local grocery store. Since it's a selling point for some people, they do a good job of letting you know that it's what you're looking for.

4. phas3 thread starter macrumors 65816

as far as labels go, what do we look for, is it the "organic" label? Grass Fed?

I wonder if Sprouts is like Whole Foods and Trader Joes.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Check if there is a Bristol Farms grocery store in your area. It is not cheap, but their meat is locally sourced with no additives etc.

6. eric/ Guest

eric/

Depends. I would just stop eating beef in general to be honest.

7. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

He requested info and sources, not opinions on eating meat.

8. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

if you want to go more natural I'd try farmers markets. it's going to be very difficult to avoid everything and it gets a lot more expensive to do so.

9. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Free-range is a good start, but no mention of 'additives' in the feed.

Still, it's a start. Well done Burger King. :cool:

10. phas3 thread starter macrumors 65816

About how much more expensive is this type of eating lifestyle compared to say Ralphs and Vons shopping?

11. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Trader Joe's has good quality organic, natural free-range meats for a good price. That's your best bet.

12. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Agreed; I get all my meat from farmer's markets - the guys who rear (organically) and slaughter the animals and fowl sell their produce to the public.

Plusses:

1) The animals and fowl have been treated far better when reared in such a manner, have lived more naturally, and eaten a more varied diet. They are happier - or, at least, much less stressed when reared in such a manner.

2) The people who did the actual work get whatever financial benefit accrues, rather than anonymous share-holders or investors.

3) Biggest plus: the meat tastes fantastic, too.

And now, for a minus: yes, it costs a lot more. It costs more money from the consumer's point of view (than does the meat purchased in a supermarket), and, from the farmer's perspective, it costs more time time, - as such animals and fowl take longer to reach maturity.

13. phas3 thread starter macrumors 65816

last time I went to trader joe's I didn't see vary many meat choices, I know whole foods has a whole section of meat, poultry and fish.

does costco offer meat like the stores mentioned so far? I'm starting to think budget and good meat is hard to have.

14. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Really? Maybe your TJ's is smaller. Where do you live?

15. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

I don't know ralphs, vons, or where you live but I'd say if you really want high quality beef with nothing added I'd expected to pay at least 30% to crazy amounts more depending on the type and cut. Ground beef would be relatively affordable and probably the easiest to attain. You can get tenderloins for insane amounts of money but there really isn't much better cuts of meat out there. I had one last night and while it wasn't anything special in terms of quality it's always amazing.

16. phas3 thread starter macrumors 65816

I live in Santa Clarita Valley in California. I've been to 4 different TJs in Los Angeles and none of them had the butcher style selection in the store, they were always all packed.

17. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

I just checked Google and there is a Trader Joe's only a few miles from me. I never knew. I will have to check it out this weekend. We have a fresh market that has a great variety of healthy foods. Not sure if they are nation wide.

18. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Ah yes, there is no butcher section, you are correct.

19. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

20. eric/ Guest

eric/

Right, and if he's going to start eating healthy, the foundations of that are realizing what you eat is unhealthy, without regard to whether it's organic or not. It doesn't matter if the potato chips you eat are organic or not, they're still not something you want to typically eat.

So, in essence, your post is just baiting.

21. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

The Costco I go to here in TX has started carrying "organic" beef and poultry that is sold at a little higher price. Advertising and reality are often two different things, so I'm not sure exactly what the "organic" tag truly means.

22. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

there's a reason Whole Foods is sometimes referred to as "Whole Paycheck" :p

23. eric/ Guest

eric/

And also why you can almost tell ones income from their weight. Poor people are getting very fat, whereas people with money are able to eat healthy food and remain thin and/or natural.m

24. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

prostuff1

Really....

The way my family does is it that we get our beef, pork, and chicken sent to a processor who will cut it how we like it. When I lived in Toledo Ohio we used this place for all of our processing needs. We had friends in the area that raised cattle, pigs, and chickens and we would have them send it off to the processors. Then the processors would call use and ask us how we wanted it cut up and the like.

With doing it this way we get really nice cuts of meat and do not end up spending all that much more than if you were to by the cheap stuff from the store. Last year we split a whole cow 3 ways and I ended up paying about 400-500 for my part. We typically end up with enough steaks, roasts, hamburger, etc to last a year or so.

The one downside to this way is that you have to have the space to store the meat. I have two 7 cu ft. chest freezers in my basement that hold beef, pork, chicken, and all the other frozen things I might get from the grocery.

25. eric/ Guest

eric/

Yes really.

Yeah I agree that's the way to do it, particularly if you arent going to relocate anytime soon. The money you save from purchasing the meat and freezer over buying it at the store is well worth it.