where to find the cheapest mbp

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gup91, Mar 16, 2010.

1. gup91 macrumors newbie

what websites besides macmall should i look for a current gen macbook pro looking for a cheaper alternative than macmall/apple store with student discount

2. runtohell121 macrumors 6502

Question: Which size and configuration of Macbook Pro?

Google for the prices is the best way to find it :) but eBay is usually cheaper.

3. SPNarwhal macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

Craigslist.
    People give it a bad rep and say it's shady but it's worked for me flawlessly up to date.
    I bought my MBP 17" on there brand new for 2,200 when it was still like 3,300 at Apple.
    Not stolen either.

Craigslist is great, just be careful.

4. Next Tuesday macrumors 6502a

Next Tuesday

Theres a post on craigslist claiming huge discounts but i think its a scam. Too good to be true. cslaptops.webs.com

5. capacity macrumors member

Probably is a scam. Only buy local (i.e., meet in person) on craigslist.

6. prodigee macrumors 6502a

Craigslist is great. Just be sure to meet in person, and check serials to make sure that its not stolen.
    I have done many craigslist deals, and have yet to be screwed.

7. Jazwire macrumors 6502a

Jazwire

I'm sure you will come across the person that just happened to have to go to the United Kingdom and will want to ship it too you. That scammer is all over Craigslist.

Listen to the others , if you can't pick it up in person , don't make a deal on CL. Because there is a 99.8% chance its a scam.

8. Wacky Jackson macrumors member

Wacky Jackson

Look for one on ebay with the bing cashback. It gives you an extra 8% off wich will be $100+. And if it is out of state you won't have to pay tax.

9. mobi macrumors 6502

mobi

Apple Refurb Store...just keep an eye out everyday until they post one with your specs, then pull the trigger.

Our most recent MBP came with a tiny ding few mm's and they refunded me $75. The machine also came with a 500gb drive instead of the advertised 250gb!

10. SpyHunter39 macrumors newbie

SpyHunter39

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

I've been looking at buying a new MBP, so I'll just share my research.

MacMall - Usually the best price

MacConnection - Had great proves, if you don't mind rebates

Amazon - Usually pretty good prices

Apple - You'll pay full retail (plus tax) here, unless you have a gov or educational discount (those discounts are usually on par with MacMall prices)

eBay - Your can find anything here. Just make sure you trust the seller

if you don't want (or need) to go brand new

eBay - Same as above

Craigslist - Good, but be careful

Apple Refurb - Usually good machines at a good price

Basically, you won't find a new MBP at a better price than the student discount/MacMall unless you go eBay/Craiglist.

11. o'malley macrumors newbie

If you're near a Microcenter they're doing a $999 deal for the base 13" model.

12. nelsencaleb macrumors regular

Try out pcconnection.com, I got my MBP for 1499 I got like $150 off because they were having a good deal.

13. runtohell121 macrumors 6502

CA tax kills it :D

14. vong macrumors 6502a

vong

how do you check if it is stolen? register the serial # online or something?

15. sean.jost macrumors newbie

I just purchased a new-in-box 17" mbp from electronic-king-inc on eBay, it was definitely the best deal I could find. He has a long track record of selling macs in his auction history. Fact of the matter is that prior to this sale, I actually bought one from another seller who had nearly 400 feedback and all 100% positive only to have eBay delete the auction a day later and refund the money! They said they detected fraud.

I used Bing cashback which immediately deposited 8% of the sale back into my paypal account ( I didn't have to wait 60 days). Plus I got almost $40 in eBay bucks, which does take 60 days. All in all I saved about 30% on what I would've paid had I bought it at Apple, Best Buy or Microcenter.

16. caonimadebi macrumors regular

another vote for eBay. Just bought a NIB base 15" uMBP for 1350 after cashback, which is a whopping $500 off Apple's price if you consider state tax.

17. Wacky Jackson macrumors member

Wacky Jackson

Tell me about it! Stupid nine and a fourth :eek:

18. JosX macrumors regular

eBay. I picked up my 2.8GHz 15" MBP for £1000 cheaper than it would have cost from the apple store, & the best bit? It was almost brand new with not a scratch on it (I checked the applecare & it was bought in December 2009). Just make sure the seller has 100% good reputation & accepts returns. If it includes AppleCare it's also an advantage, this way even if it is faulty & the seller refuses returns, you can probably get it sorted free of charge.

19. SPNarwhal macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

You can still buy brand new on eBay and Craigslist. Actually, a lot of the ones on eBay are brand new.
    I bought my 17" uMBP on Craigslist brand new, never opened, for 2,200.
    (When it was 3,300+ from Apple.)

Just be careful on Craigslist. It's great, but if you're not careful you could get scammed. It's easy to be safe, just use common sense.

20. Hls811 macrumors 6502a

Hls811

Another vote for eBay.. NIB 2.8ghtz model for $1756 SHIPPED after 8% Bing.. I saved $703.00 off Apple retail.

21. dacapo macrumors 6502

Microcenter tends to have good closeout specials, like the current $999 special on MB990ll/a. Only caveat is these specials tend to be pick-up only.

BHPhotoVideo is another really good site; they usually have pricing that mirrors Amazon and sometimes have additional combo rebates. (Plus, you can also do a 3% Bing Cashback on this site.) Free shipping & no Tax outside of NY I believe.

22. phrint macrumors 6502

+1. I used electronic king as well on eBay for my 2.8 15" MBP. Got it for $250 below retail, no tax and $168 in Bing Cashback. Add the student discounted AppleCare and I saved about $700.00. Can't beat that! Electronic King was great with communication and is a fast shipper as well.