Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matt90036

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 9, 2010
I'm new to macs and I'm going to switch from windows.
1. where can I get a good quality refurbished MacBook (any MacBook that can detect my iPad). I don't do flea bay!
2. what's the learning curve on Macs?

fireshot91

macrumors 601
Jul 31, 2008
Northern VA
refurbished ≠ used.

For used, go to Craigslist if you don't want Ebay.

For refurbished, go to the Apple online refurb store.

Vudoo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2008
Dallas Metroplex
If you want a refurbished, then buy direct from the Apple store website. Apple stores do a once a month sale of used products, but you never know what will be available.

Amazon also sell refurbished Macs as well, but I'm not sure if they are truly refurbished.

If you're going to buy used, I would say buy it local so you can test and make sure that it is still under the original warranty or Apple Care warranty.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I just bought my Early 2011 MacBook Pro from the Apple refurb store, and saved myself about $300. It is the best place to get a refurb, and the computer looks brand new. Apple changes out the casing, battery, and any part that didn't pass quality control, so you should be good.

IMO, it is BETTER to buy a refurb than NEW, as it does go through more quality checks than a new computer.

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
I have bought every Mac I've ever owned from the Apple Refurb store - based on the recommendation from the salesman in the Apple store. I went in looking for a 17" MacBook Pro, and he told me to go online because Apple goes through pre-owned stuff with very fine tooth comb and replaces anything even remotely questionable.

In many ways, he said, the refurbed ones are in better shape than the brand new ones.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
Not to mention, the Apple refurbished models come with the same warranty that new ones come with, so should you have a problem, you can get it fixed.

-tWv-

macrumors 68000
May 11, 2009
Ohio
I would take a look on macofalltrades.com

My family just ordered a late 2008 iMac off of there and received it a couple days ago. The machine is in fabulous condition and works perfectly. The machine came in it's original box with manuals, restore discs etc. and came with a brand new keyboard and mighty mouse. If you are looking for used/refurbished macs I would check their website out, we have had a great experience so far.

Looks like they have quite a few listings for macbook/macbook pros at the moment

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
As a number of other posters have pointed out, the Apple refurbished store is the place to go.

That way, you will get an excellent computer, which is brand new, which has been individually tested and where anything remotely questionable will have been replaced; besides, you get the exact same guarantee as a "new" model - a year's warranty.

tktaylor1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
Nashville, TN
For refurbished, Apple

For used, Craigslist (just watch out for scams, only respond to ads with phone number visible)

The learning curve for me was a day or two but I had some really good help figuring everything out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.