Where to get clearance MacBook pros?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Mowgli21, Nov 14, 2010.

1. Mowgli21 macrumors regular

Hi

I am wanting to buy a new MacBook pro 13" but was thinking that when apple release new matchbooks do they still sell the old ones in their clearance store? Brand new just old stock. Only reason being I use a cd drive a lot so if they got rid of it in the new model I may get an old one.

Just wondering where the best place to get an old one would be and are they normally reduced in price?

I live in the UK.

Thanks

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Apple tend to sell the old ones via their refurbished store but they don't tend to label them differently: you might get a new one from old stock, you might get a refurb.

3. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Older devices will usually turn up in the "refurbished" section of the online Apple Store, usually with some weeks or months delay. They will be reduced in price from the original price, but only to make them reasonable value compared to new devices. And of course the one that you buy may be _genuinely_ refurbished (bought by someone, returned for any reason, sold as refurbished) or a brand new product sold as refurbished; you won't know.

So if Apple releases a new improved MBP 13" say on March 2nd, you won't be able to buy the old model for £100 less on March 3rd from Apple. You can however check out John Lewis, PC World etc.

4. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Contrary to what seems to be popular belief, Apple does put discontinued Macs in the Clearance section of the online Store. They're usually priced less than the new model, but not as much of a discount as the Refurbished models. Usually Resellers like Amazon, MacConnection, etc. will have better discounted prices on discontinued models than Apple has in the Clearance section.

5. cz9h3d macrumors member

MicroCenter has been selling the current 13" MacBook Pro for $1199 - $200 instant off for months. I've been trying to not buy - of course as soon as I do the new i3 version will be out ;)

6. viggen61 macrumors 6502

My MBP was bought as a refurb, and It's been as good as if I'd bought it "new" in the almost 4 years I've had it (Feb 2007...). No real need to shy away from refurbs. They'd likely be cheaper than "clearance" units, and carry the same warranty, and you can get AppleCare on them.

:apple::apple: