Where to get GOOD Macintosh Plus RAM

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by cjbriare, Jul 5, 2010.

1. cjbriare macrumors member

cjbriare

I've looked all over, but it seems I cannot find the specific RAM for an old Macintosh Plus I am upgrading.

I am trying to get it up to 4MB of RAM, which must be installed in pairs, as four 1MB units.

It currently has 1MB of ram (Four 256k units)

From research, I know it needs 30-Pin SIMMs at 150ns or faster.

After looking, it seems that all places i looked had less than 150ns!! :mad:

So, does anybody know where to get this specific RAM type at?

(ive checked ebay, other forums, and a range of memory manufacturers, but..nuthin')

I'm not in any rush or extreme demand, but over the span of the remaining year or so, I'd like to get this thing running at it's maximum power.

Thanks for your help.

2. Kenndac macrumors 6502

Kenndac

Now, apologies if I misread this, but if the ns number of the RAM you've seen is less than 150 then that's the RAM you want — ns is a time unit, the smaller it is the faster the RAM is.

3. mward333 macrumors 6502a

mward333

I agree--you want 150ns or faster, which means 150ns or a smaller number is OK. (A "larger" number would be too slow!) So you want 150ns or smaller. Enjoy!

4. cjbriare thread starter macrumors member

cjbriare

Wow! After all those years in math...:rolleyes:

For some reason i thought the more ns the faster it was!

I found 70ns for about $1 ea.

Anyways, thanks for the help you guys!

5. mward333 macrumors 6502a

mward333

I hope that it works great for you! Let us know how it turns out! Good luck!

6. cjbriare thread starter macrumors member

cjbriare

7. re2st macrumors regular

Not to mean to spoil the party but, isn't this Macintosh Plus museum-graded already?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macintosh_Plus, look at the second picture (The Apple Macintosh Plus at the Design Museum in Gothenburg, Sweden.)

8. mward333 macrumors 6502a

mward333

There are still some folks who are proud to maintain their early Mac hardware.

To the OP: There are some folks on this forum who are experts on RAM.

For instance, CanadaRAM is one of the users on these forums who really knows many intricate details about RAM. I don't know if it is appropriate to contact CanadaRAM directly, but it's one possible solution. Good luck!

Here's the link to CanadaRAM's profile:

http://forums.macrumors.com/member.php?u=41707

[If CanadaRAM does not respond to direct messages, then I apologize.... The responses from this user are usually extremely helpful and kind! Just a suggestion.....]

9. cjbriare thread starter macrumors member

cjbriare

Some people buy old Mustangs to restore.

Me? i buy old Macs :)

Anyways, i found a site that has a guy selling the RAM i need that was pulled out of other old macs.

10. mward333 macrumors 6502a

mward333

OK, glad to hear that you found what you need! That's pretty cool that you buy old Macs. You're definitely in the right place by reading Macrumors. I always actually wanted to go back and buy one of those 20th Anniversary Macs. Some of the Macs made over the years have been so cool! There are entire threads on Macrumors dedicated to which Macs people think were the best designs over the years. Very neat! I've owned many Macs over the years myself.

Again, I'm glad to hear that you found the RAM that you needed. Way to go!

11. cjbriare thread starter macrumors member

cjbriare

Yes, i know.

Over the span of 6 years I have been collecting old Macs.

The first Mac i touched was a Power Mac 7100, but I was too young to remember anything else.

But, i have bought:

PowerBook 180
    Macintosh LC 550
    Macintosh Classic
    Macintosh IIci
    Apple IIe
    Macintosh Plus.

Now, (after most of them died) i have a Mac Mini (as my primary comp), the Plus, and a PBG3 wallstreet.

As you can see, I like Macs. A lot. :rolleyes:

12. mward333 macrumors 6502a

mward333

I actually grew up on the various Apple II machines (IIc, IIe, IIgs, etc.), as well as the many early Mac models too. I keep a list of all the Macs I've owned over the years (including all of their specs), over 20 of them now altogether. I don't hang onto all of them! We just don't have room for such things.

everymac.com is a fun site for looking-up specs on these old Macs.... it is very useful!

13. cjbriare thread starter macrumors member

cjbriare

Yea. the reason I like Apple is because of the history they have.

You know?

Those early Mac reviews that said the Mac was "toy-like"

They had no idea that the mac was setting the standard for all computers in the future.

14. mward333 macrumors 6502a

mward333

I have stuck with Apple over the years (decades actually, right?) because they are such user-friendly machines to use. Now that I'm a researcher/scholar/professor, I find it extremely useful to have all of the Unix tools that I need, directly on my Mac, with a very nice graphical OS-interface too. What else could I ask for? Mac OS X has evolved over the years into a dream-come-true for me. It's amazing how far that Apple has come since their earliest days.

This is coming from a guy who learned how to do VAX programming on a DEC machine back in the dark ages...... I'm showing my age here........

15. mlts22 macrumors 6502a

I will date myself with this as well, but it is funny to think about that the iPhone has more CPU and storage horsepower than the machines in college that had hundreds of users connected to at once on VT100 terminals.

16. monokakata macrumors 68000

monokakata

I'll jump on the dating myself thing.

I remember buying a 4 mb board for my PDP-11/23, yes, 4 big megabytes, count-em, and I paid $2000 for that board.

But -- it did exactly what I needed, and made certain things possible that just weren't possible without it.

I say if you've never done Fortran overlays on a PDP-11, you haven't lived.

17. cjbriare thread starter macrumors member

cjbriare

The RAM just came in and i installed it.

Its a pretty technical procedure if you ask me.

Having to snip a resistor out to make it recognize 1MB modules is very un-Apple.

Anyways, now i can use MultiFinder to it's fullest!!

18. mward333 macrumors 6502a

mward333

You said "MultiFinder"! Absolutely awesome!!! Wow, that brings back good memories, from a LONG time ago!

I'm very glad that you got the RAM installed, even if it was a pain. Very cool.