Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

magimat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2010
Hi,

What's the best deal on an optibay? I thought owc was carrying it but I can't find it on their site.

There are several alternatives from china on ebay for about 25-30$, but I'm not sure if it's a good deal or not.

Anyway, 100$ from MCE directly really looks like a ripoff to me for a simple adapter, but I wanted to know where you guys get your optibay solution from?

Thanks!

nygfan80

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2010
PA
I am going to do this but I don't know if I am going to go with the OWC data doubler or the one that was linked above from mcetech. I kind of like it comes with a free enclosure. Just worried about things moving around and a lot of rattling. Is it pretty stable once it's installed?

laser71

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2010
Canada
For what it's worth, I got mine on eBay, $20 shipped to my door. It is coming from China and will take a few weeks, and is not very flashy - but it's an internal component I'll never see, and apparently they work just as well as OWC / MCEtech

Schuleit

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2011
Copenhagen, Denmark
For what it's worth, I got mine on eBay, $20 shipped to my door. It is coming from China and will take a few weeks, and is not very flashy - but it's an internal component I'll never see, and apparently they work just as well as OWC / MCEtech

Do you have a link OR a seller reference?

Thanks, Alex

Last edited:

nygfan80

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2010
PA
I bought the one from mcetech. I think it's a good deal and the data double looks more solid than the plastic one OWC sells. Now it's going to be interesting doing this myself.

Skybar

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2010
I bought the one from mcetech. I think it's a good deal and the data double looks more solid than the plastic one OWC sells. Now it's going to be interesting doing this myself.
Dude, OWC's optibay bracket is not made of plastic. It's aluminum.

daigohgoh

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2011
so what do i type in ebay search engine if i want to buy a case for the superdrive and attach it via USB?

mediasorcerer

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2010
has anyone here had any experience with max upgrades? and the usb case for dvd drive? thinking of buying one today,for ssd .id rather pay bit more n get quality,not all electrical components are the same,there is things like quality of pc board,soldering,and components too,any ideas if maxupgrades is worth it?

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2008
wondering what the MCEtech superdrive encloser looks like Anyone have a pic or review on its quality?

mediasorcerer

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2010
wondering what the MCEtech superdrive encloser looks like Anyone have a pic or review on its quality?

ive heard its crap,and also that mce is overpriced and cheapish ive read here and there,im going for the maxupgrades one ,after researching for ages,my next bet would be owc d/doubler,but the maxupgrades has great looking usb external enclosure that looks similar to apples air ext superdrive,and an apple like usb plug too.i like the idea of the frame ones too for airflow,like owc,s or maxupgrades,id recommend stay from cheap ebay ones,some have had probs with em,

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2008
ive heard its crap,and also that mce is overpriced and cheapish ive read here and there,im going for the maxupgrades one ,after researching for ages,my next bet would be owc d/doubler,but the maxupgrades has great looking usb external enclosure that looks similar to apples air ext superdrive,and an apple like usb plug too.i like the idea of the frame ones too for airflow,like owc,s or maxupgrades,id recommend stay from cheap ebay ones,some have had probs with em,

I've also done abit of my own research, a logitech dvd/drive goes for about 3000yen (US$40) here in Tokyo, + $10 optibay from ebay. thats $50.

I'm wondering if its possible to buy a portble bluray/burner combo USB drive and if this will work on a mac. hmmm

mediasorcerer

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2010
Ended up getting a $9. eBay version and found a buffalo cd/DVD combo drive for $42 roughly. Hopefully it all works, time to buy an SSD :)

yes,could you please post back here when you get it all rigged up,and give us the morning glory on it?

the only problem with the cheap stuff is-can be a waste of cash if it dont work,guess u can refund,but thats a hassle,still,it may easily do the job,hope it does for you,im doing this mod too,regs ms.:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.