Where to get student discount online

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ansabakhan, Mar 10, 2011.

1. ansabakhan macrumors 65816

ansabakhan

is there a site to buy macbook pro online with some kind of student discount , similar to what apple.com offer? thank you

2. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

Go to the Apple store and click on the education store link. It's on the left side of the screen.

3. ansabakhan thread starter macrumors 65816

ansabakhan

i am looking for some place other then apple.com to see if i have another option

4. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

You want a student discount, but from another retailer?

Sorry, I don't know of any other retailers that do that.

Have you tried your school? I know my old school has software and some hardware for purchase. Not sure how much cheaper it is than buying it directly though.

5. Tapiwa macrumors member

You're probably not gonna get the student discount from anywhere else.
    However Amazon offers MBPs at a good price, something to look into...

6. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Microcenter.com usually has Apple computers on sale too. Not student discount, but I've seen up to $200 off a 15" Pro.

7. ansabakhan thread starter macrumors 65816

ansabakhan

i need to buy this for a student who is abroad so i wanted to find him the best discount ... never bought any thing on student discount before .. so was not sure if apple is the only place which offers it ...

8. ma013851 macrumors newbie

need sme info..

I am about to order an MBP fron Apple store online with student's discount.
    I m keen to know how does Apple confirm that I am a genuine student at the university that I would select before placing the order?

-mA

9. Cantisama macrumors member

If you want custom options I think you have to go through the Apple education store. For standard configs the student may be able to pick it up directly from his/her campus computer store.

They do not perform any verification at time of purchase... you don't even need .edu email. They can randomly request verification later though which I think involves sending a tuition receipt for the semester at time of purchase (for students) or a pay stub (for school employees).

10. anonymouse99 macrumors regular

I have noticed for a fact that some of the school web sites have discounts that are bigger than what Apple offers. When you purchase a laptop from a school's computer store, do you generally have to be enrolled there? Or can any legit .edu student purchase from any school in the US?

11. Cantisama macrumors member

You have to be enrolled there. Each school has its own agreement with Apple.

12. 100Teraflops macrumors 6502a

100Teraflops

Does it have to be in online?

When I was looking at a Mac Pro at Best Buy, they were going to honor my student discount and match the price. However, this was in person, not online. I had this experience last month.

13. anonymouse99 macrumors regular

I actually spoke with an advisor at an Apple Store today. They just wanted to know the school name - discounts would be provided accordingly, no questions asked, they asked for my Driver's License info at the time of purchase.

14. 100Teraflops macrumors 6502a

100Teraflops

+1

I bought a 2011 MBP from an Apple store and it was a breeze. They asked for my drivers license and a student ID. No biggie! I went back a few days later and purchased Applecare.

15. falconeight Guest

falconeight

16. iMackPro macrumors 6502

best buy is the only other place i know of that does student discount, higher end 15 is a 200$ in savings! and if you order a SSD through the online store its 180$ so yeah i basically ordered a 2.2 with a free SSD. and its better than sex. well..........close