Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Daud

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 23, 2008
I would jump to order an iPhone6, preferentially unlocked or full price paid T-mobile (will be used on Platinum Tel) but would like to avoid tax. Do iphones ultimately show up e.g. on Macmall ? Or is there some buying trick at least to mitigate to rax, like using Discover card on the educ Apple site ?

diegonzo

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2014
I think you don't pay tax in Oregon... I ordered it through Opas.com which is a forwarding company (I don't live in the US, so I needed a US address to deliver it and then they send it to me). Besides being able to purchase my iPhone and having it send to me, another benefit of buying with them is that my "virtual" address is based on Oregon... where you don't pay any sales tax! :)

Important to mention this is my first time using the service... so I hope everythong goes well! haha.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Even if you buy in a state that is tax free, you are required to declare it in the state in which you bought it. Do people do that? I am sure some do, majority don't.

Either way, eBay and Craigslist is kind of a nonsense example seeing as how the end goal of the OP is to save money. That won't happen on eBay or CL...

Mahler12x

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2008
California
No he sounds like a quality citizen. Pay your taxes where the law says you have to.

LoL, what an ignorant thing to say. You pay your taxes because if you don't, you can be jailed, and if you resist, killed, not because you have some misguided illusion that it's for the greater good or something. If that were true, let all you believers in the State pay and leave the rest of us alone.

powerstrokin

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2013
Woo tax evasion! How neat is that?

You're going to pay tax on it. End of thread.

That's a pretty arrogant and ultimately incorrect response, champ.

There are five states with no sales tax, for one thing:

Alaska
Montana
Oregon
New Hampshire
Delaware

I'm not sure if this is still the case, but you used to be able to purchase things online and not pay tax IF the place you ordered from did NOT have a physical store in your state.

A little Googling should get some more information.

oscsjc

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2011
I would jump to order an iPhone6, preferentially unlocked or full price paid T-mobile (will be used on Platinum Tel) but would like to avoid tax. Do iphones ultimately show up e.g. on Macmall ? Or is there some buying trick at least to mitigate to rax, like using Discover card on the educ Apple site ?

Buy 2 iphones. Have them shipped to me in New Hampshire. I'll send you one.

powerstrokin

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2013
No he sounds like a quality citizen. Pay your taxes where the law says you have to.

But WHY? Taxes are just a tool to keep people under control. I'm all for saving money where possible. Excuse my language, but EFF taxes when possible.

Also I would like to add something I've been saying or a long time- Some laws are unlawful.

If you can't figure out what that means, then just keep living how you're living if that works for you. It doesn't work for me.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Even if you buy in a state that is tax free, you are required to declare it in the state in which you bought it. Do people do that? I am sure some do, majority don't.
Use tax kinda depends on the state. Some states only require it for businesses and not individuals.

shaunmed

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2010
Zurich_Duty_Free_shop.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.