Where would you go to show off the UK?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by seanf, Feb 6, 2012.

1. seanf macrumors 6502

If you wanted to show off the UK to a first-time visitor where would you go (bearing in mind the weather at this time of year)? My girlfriend is visiting me here for the first time and we want to travel about and spend a few long-weekends exploring and seeing the best of the UK. We have been to London, Manchester, Stratford, Chester and Shrewsbury so far and are thinking about where to go next. Any suggestions of where to go and the best attractions there?

Thanks

Sean :)

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

3. Tsuchiya macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya

You guys should give one of these a go, they are dotted around the country and you can find the closest one:

http://goape.co.uk/days-out/bracknell

A lot of fun, and they are always based in a huge forest with different trails to explore. I've posted Bracknell which is the last one I went too, but other locations are similar.

4. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

I was going to say the Cotswolds - but I guess you've kind of covered sort of villagey feel that if you drove around the Stratford / Shrewsbury area.

Snowdonia is amazing, as are the Brecon Beacons in South Wales. Hay on Wye has a lot of high quality restaurants and places to stay, to cater for the annual book fair. Lots of bookshops to browse too - so if she's into reading it would be a good centre for a walking/culture/food break.

The Lakes are another option. A long weekend in an old fashioned guesthouse up there would be great.

I'd also go down to the sea! Somewhere like St Ives, or Padstowe (if you're more of a foodie) are fantastic... there's nothing like a Cornish seaside town!

Along the coast a bit, I've always loved Lyme Regis. Go fossil hunting along the beaches. If you want some relaxation, Swanage is good... and the New Forest is nearby (lots of ponys roaming wild if she's into that sort of thing).

Or even go up North to see the sea. The Northumberland coast is beautiful - from Berwick down through Bamburgh and Seahouses. Visit Newcastle for the nightlife too! :)

5. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

6. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

So far you have only shown her England, not the UK. Go to Scotland. Edinburgh is a fantastic city. The highlands are beautiful.

7. AnimaLeo macrumors 6502

Derbyshire/ The Peak District. Full of natural beauty.

8. jeremy h macrumors 6502

I guess it all depends on what she's into...

AS Firestarter says Lyme Regis / Charmouth is a good choice for fossiling. (I've got tons from there). The best fossiling weather is after midwinter storms.

Also, if you'd like to show some history - I'd suggest missing Stonehenge (wonderful place but awful visitor centre - no magic as there should be) and instead go to Avebury. A very short drive (10 mins - or walk it) has you at West Kennet Longbarrow. You can look over the whole ritual landscape and see how it might have worked. There's also plenty of untouristy hill forts that are around that area and also the white horse. These places are also so much better in the winter. Get there early as the sun is coming up. (That's too early in the summer!)

If you do go to the Cotswolds - Bibury, which if you visit early on a misty morning in midwinter, when there's not too many people about, is probably as English Village as you can get.

I know it's obvious but the British Museum is probably my favourite London Attraction. (Free too!). Brick lane would be fun for the evening meal.

9. kolax macrumors G3

Edinburgh is definitely worth a visit, beautiful city. Can get cheap train tickets to go on a day trip to Glasgow or further north too.

10. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Even better – take her to Edinburgh and make a trip of it through some of England's nice bits. A stop over in York which is nice and historic, followed by a sojourn to the lovely Northumberland coast firestarter recommends, before finishing up in the Scottish capital.

11. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

12. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Brixton,by the way the country pile is near Bibury,it's OK in a Chocolate box fantasy sort of way but it's also high on the Japanese tourist see olde England list.Not recommended.

13. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

This is my recommendation for folks who visit the UK. I have done that trip at least a dozen times. London-York, stay a night or two, York-Durham, perhaps another stop over if she likes medieval cathedrals (although you can see it from the right side of the train), Durham-Edinburgh. I lived in "Auld Reekie" for a year so I'm biased too but I think its one of Northern Europe's most picturesque cities. Stark and foreboding in the winter and colourful and cheery in the summer. Can't beat the view from Princes' Street of the Old Town.

14. seanf thread starter macrumors 6502

Some excellent suggestions here, thank you for all the replies. I really want to head to Edinburgh now, but have left it too late to find flights/trains at a reasonable price for the coming weekend :(

Sean :)

15. bartelby macrumors Core

I was certain you were going to recommend East Riding!

16. JsR macrumors regular

17. oscillatewildly, Feb 6, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2012

oscillatewildly macrumors 68000

A bit windswept this time of year :) :

Dungeness,

Yorkshire Dales, and

The coast between Newcastle and Berwick-upon-Tweed. Edit - Oops! Skip read the thread - not very well - another vote for that piece of coast and Edinburgh.

Cheers,
    OW

18. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

A not very well known thing is Balham is a centre for the "defence industry" and as such is a big target for your looney war games bods.It also has the best southern India resturants in Europe and probably in the world.

19. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Peak District, Lake District, entirety of Scotland.
    Take your pick.

20. MasterHowl macrumors 65816

MasterHowl

Yorkshire!

Take her to the Yorkshire Dales National Park :) It's beautiful!

My favourite places there are Malham Cove and Ingleton (do the waterfall walk there, you'll both love it)

21. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

No, we're a little awkward to get to here. And just a little awkward in general. :p

22. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I think Southern UK is a good starting point. Drive down through Canterbury to Dover then Brighton and South Hampton. If you like castles and country homes, they are there...

23. northy124 macrumors 68020

northy124

London... outside of London? no where place is a dump.

24. Xcallibur macrumors 6502a

Xcallibur

Malham is an awesome little village, lots of limestone rockeries and great views from the hill/mountain top.