Where'd all the Power Mac G4s go?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by davidg4781, Jun 14, 2013.

1. davidg4781 macrumors 68000

I've been wanting a Power Mac G4 for a couple of years now. I almost bought one on CL about 4 or 5 months ago then totaled my car, so that took priority.

Now I'm looking for one and there's not a one on CL! I prefer a MDD, next a QS, but nothing! There's a few iMac G4s for around $70, so I may try that, but I was really wanting a MDD.

Is this what's going on in the rest of the country? This is in South and Central Texas.

2. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68000

I haven't checked there but in the past they were a bit more expensive than CL. I'll maybe have a look.

I really wanted one just to play around with it so the impulse of going to pick one up is gone with eBay, although I end up saving the money.

3. skinniezinho macrumors 6502a

you can put an ad here on macrumors.sometimes people give them away.

4. Zeke D macrumors 6502a

Zeke D

I've got 6 of them. I've had them listed on my local CL for over a year, renewing them every month. I started them at $40 and after a few months I changed it to $20. No takers.

5. archtopshop macrumors regular

You can't get $20 on CL for an MDD? :eek:

6. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68000

Would you be willing to ship?

And there's a few G5s. And an iSight I'm thinking of picking up since they're sort of rare.

7. WMD macrumors regular

Powermax has a bunch of them, but they want $200-500 for them. No wonder they aren't selling :p

I did find one on my local CL for $150 (dual 1GHz) and a lot of 3 for $95 (no specs). So yeah, short supply. But they are getting on in years....

8. AppleMark macrumors 6502a

AppleMark

I am hoping my old one, is burning in Hell.

9. Zeke D macrumors 6502a

Zeke D

Digital Audio G4s

----------

I willing to ship, but shippings like $50!

10. olsend81 macrumors member

Craigslist has tons in my area for some reason

11. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

I'm in the south central Texas area as well, and I know what you mean; older Macs are far and few inbetween around here, I guess this demographic didn't really start buying them until the iPhone halo-effect came around.

I've personally purchased all of my older macs off of eBay, due to the lack of selection locally. (That, or the immense level of ignorance these people display. A 12 year old iBook G3 is not and never will be, "A screaming-fast state of the art "Apple MACBook PRO" worth $750. :rolleyes:)

12. archtopshop macrumors regular

OK, that makes (a little) more sense. Sadly, it demonstrates most people in today's computing world consider our PowerPC's worthless.

But that's alright with me. My Powermacs still do everything I ask of them. I have installed Linux on a separate drive to securely handle all my online banking, purchases, etc., but everything else I can accomplish in OSX.

13. ihuman:D macrumors 6502a

I know, I've just installed Leopard Webkit with advanced settings and, honestly, it feels a good bit faster than my Dell Pentium Dual-Core running Windows 7 with Google Chrome, it's much nicer to use too.

14. Lil Chillbil macrumors 65816

Lil Chillbil

They're all over here on the west coast by san francisco where I am, you can't give these things away it seems, if you look on craigslist I see tons of macs including a graphite g3 for $10

15. MysticCow macrumors 6502a

MysticCow

Why get a Quicksilver when the Digital Audio is pretty close to the same (if not exactly the same) internals as the QS? It will probably be cheaper also.

I don't know about anyone else, but my heavily biased idea on G4 tower buying is as follows:

1. Mirrored Drive Door models, especially the 2003 model which is the fastest OS 9-only rig you'll find.

2. The G4 Gigabit Ethernet model, because it can hold 2 GB of RAM under OS X. RAM tends to be the great equalizer on OS X.

3. The Digital Audio model, since it shares pretty much the same internals with the Quicksilver.

16. archtopshop macrumors regular

I'm running the "unstable" version of Leopard Webkit that came out in May, I think. It runs very fast on my MDD's, too.

17. ihuman:D macrumors 6502a

I'm running the unstable version from 5 days ago. It's pretty stable but one thing I have noticed is that when I click on a thread here it can sometimes bork the website view then goes back to normal when the thread loads.

18. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68000

Yup, a lot of those. An you're right about late adopters. All the stores I've worked at I've only met one person who was a Mac lover. A few had MacBooks but didn't do much with them.

If you see an Accord driving around with an Apple sticker on the window give me a honk.

19. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Gonna have to be way more specific. :p

20. cgk.emu macrumors 6502

They kind of are worthless for even general purpose computing. I'm not sure why you'd want to even mess with them at this point. I have several old Macs, dating back to an Apple IIGS. They are fun to fire up every now and then, but...

21. ihuman:D, Jun 15, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2013

ihuman:D macrumors 6502a

:rolleyes: Go to the intel forum, we don't want your kind 'round here.

LOL @ "worthless for even general purpose computing"! I've been using my Powerbook for three days straight for internet browsing with about 3-7 tabs open and it works plenty fast, I'd like to see how well a quad G5 that is "worthless even for general computing" could do, probably more than 12 tabs on a good browser.

22. archtopshop macrumors regular

I already said why I'm using a Powermac. It still does everything I need it to do--simple as that.

I've been buying Apple products since '82, Macs since '87. Most were purchased new. Some models lasted longer than others, but as long as each one served the purpose for which I originally purchased it, I kept using it.

The same goes for my current G4's. When they stop being useful to me, I'll replace them. Until that happens, I won't.

As far as not being able to handle "general purpose computing", well that's just silly. A PowerPC is more than capable of handling this type of computing.

My wife and I both use Dual MDD's as our main computers. The Sawtooth in my signature is now only used as a test machine for Linux, but it serves this purpose well. My iBook G4 sits next to my recliner, and is used for web browsing and email while I watch TV.

But, here's my opinion. If you feel the need to replace your computer more often than I replace mine, that's great. It's your money. Spend it as you wish. And, your supporting the economy. :D

23. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

Mine is still lying around, reading to receive any bits and pieces from other computers that might die.

Other than that, I found a Sawtooth model with a missing power supply lying in shrubbery near my house a few months back. Perhaps take a stroll through some bushland ;)

24. ihuman:D macrumors 6502a

Why is it always you who finds these things lying around!? Next thing ya'know one'll fall on your head!!! :rolleyes: :D