Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ghost31

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 9, 2015
they seem to have completely disappeared since getting the new Apple TV. I just played X men days of future past which I remember very clearly had a menu with extras and now it's gone. What the hell?

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
I just checked on my aTV 4, and they're available on Age Of Ultron, Wreck it Ralph and Wall-E.

Ghost31

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 9, 2015
I just checked on my aTV 4, and they're available on Age Of Ultron, Wreck it Ralph and Wall-E.
I'll give those movies a try. Is it still like it's always been for you where you just click on the movie, it'll go to the movie menu with options and stuff? Or is there some other way to get to iTunes extras?

dugbug

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2008
Somewhere in Florida
You play the movie and it 'plays' the itunes extras. Just entering the movie's landing menu page with ratings and whatnot does not start it.

ajiuo

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
iTunes extras will not play via a Siri search page. If you click on the iTunes button and play from there or else go there from your purchases... You will get extras.

flashy-cat

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2007
UK
Slightly off-topic but, has the format of the extras changed? An older movie (Home Alone) has a separate extras file but the latest one I bought (Grease) doesn't seem to have an extras file.

dugbug

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2008
Somewhere in Florida
Slightly off-topic but, has the format of the extras changed? An older movie (Home Alone) has a separate extras file but the latest one I bought (Grease) doesn't seem to have an extras file.

Yes a while back. Maybe a year or so. The extras are streamed now I think? I thought they were now bundled within the file but lost net connection once and extras would not play.

Apple.Fanatic

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2015
Atlanta, Georgia
I'll give those movies a try. Is it still like it's always been for you where you just click on the movie, it'll go to the movie menu with options and stuff? Or is there some other way to get to iTunes extras?

On my Apple TV 4, iTunes Extras are below the play movie section. After selecting movie, scroll down below the normal play section. You should see iTunes Extra's for movie.

Ghost31

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 9, 2015
On my Apple TV 4, iTunes Extras are below the play movie section. After selecting movie, scroll down below the normal play section. You should see iTunes Extra's for movie.
I got it to work for a couple things. Just tried it with ant man and worked just fine. But then X men days of future past (which I remember having extras) doesn't have anything. Once I click on the movie it just plays. Wonder if they took extras away for some movies? Can't imagine why.

Is there anyway to see which movies in your collection have extras without playing them?

NameUndecided

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2011
Movies will have a blue "iTunes Extras" icon on their description page if they have them. At least, that's the case on my ATV3 and phone and iTunes store on the computer and all else.

And I searched for Days of Future Past in the iTunes store, and both Rogue Cut and regular version are still supposed to have Extras. So I don't know what's going one.

Edit -- Did you get this movie from a code that was included with the DVD or bluray? Because from my experience, Fox won't give you the full movie with extras and all when you redeem that free "digital copy" code. But if you purchased your copy through the iTunes store and know that yours certainly had extras before, then I am still at a loss.

Apple.Fanatic

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2015
Atlanta, Georgia
Is there anyway to see which movies in your collection have extras without playing them?

I'm unaware of anyway to filter to only show movies with extras. You would have to select movie and see the blue iTunes Extras icon. Most movies should have iTunes Extras. I noticed in my collection that Tron: Legacy and The Wolverine didn't have Extras.

-Gonzo-

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2015
But then X men days of future past (which I remember having extras) doesn't have anything. Once I click on the movie it just plays.
Have you definitely got the HD version as SD doesn't have iTunes extras?

ohio.emt

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
Ohio
I'm unaware of anyway to filter to only show movies with extras. You would have to select movie and see the blue iTunes Extras icon. Most movies should have iTunes Extras. I noticed in my collection that Tron: Legacy and The Wolverine didn't have Extras.
Maybe something is going on with the extras. I have extras with Tron: legacy. I don't have any showing with The Wolverine though. Both are from codes that came with the Blurays.

NameUndecided

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2011
Maybe something is going on with the extras. I have extras with Tron: legacy. I don't have any showing with The Wolverine though. Both are from codes that came with the Blurays.
Some studios give the full iTunes version with their codes and some don't. Disney will give the full version with extras. Most Fox films, like The Wolverine (but apparently they've changed this by the time DOFP Rogue Cut came out) only give the base movie, usually only in SD, even.

Or if it's from a code from the DVD rather than bluray, then it's probably the plain SD non-extras version, regardless.

Ghost31

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 9, 2015
Have you definitely got the HD version as SD doesn't have iTunes extras?
Yes. Just tried playing it again. No dice. Makes no sense to me. How is it I used to be able to see iTunes extras for this movie and now I can't? Strange

NameUndecided

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2011
Yes. Just tried playing it again. No dice. Makes no sense to me. How is it I used to be able to see iTunes extras for this movie and now I can't? Strange
iTunes extras and their menu will also show when you play the movie in iTunes on your computer (at least on Mac. I don't know if they do on Windows?). So if you have that option, see if the movie is without extras on the computer, as well?

I have no solutions. I'm just really curious, too. ;)

GizmoDVD

macrumors 68030
Oct 11, 2008
SoCal
I typically download all of my iTunes movies and stream them to my ATV3/4.

Do the extras no longer download as well?

i.e. Peanuts The Movie. My downloaded version goes straight to the movie, but the iTunes versions (played through the Movie app) has the extras). For some reason I thought I was getting a 1:1 copy of the iTunes version when I downloaded it, not just the movie.

-Gonzo-

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2015
I typically download all of my iTunes movies and stream them to my ATV3/4.

Do the extras no longer download as well?

i.e. Peanuts The Movie. My downloaded version goes straight to the movie, but the iTunes versions (played through the Movie app) has the extras). For some reason I thought I was getting a 1:1 copy of the iTunes version when I downloaded it, not just the movie.
Movie only, tells you in the movie description about iTunes extras being viewable online.
7e3dfa183745dc569a6d740490169185.jpg

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013

Contact Apple. If you bought this directly from Apple, then they will fix it immediately. If this was a code from a DVD/Blu-Ray, they might not be able to. How the code redeems depends the studio. I redeemed a HD version of Iron Man 2 but it does not have any extras.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.