Where's the "Million Sold" announcement?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by CIA, Mar 23, 2011.

1. CIA macrumors 6502a

Either the amount of iPads being sold is super low, or Apple is changing it's tune about hyping sales numbers? They must have sold over a million by now. Are they waiting to hit 10 million before making an announcement? Last year they hit 1 million in 28 days.... Analysts were predicting 500,000-1,000,000 over launch weekend alone this year...

Thoughts?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yeah, that haven't reached that metric yet.

3. admanimal macrumors 68040

I wonder if they are allowed to count all of the unshipped online orders as sold units. I would think that even with the low supplies that over a million would have been ordered/sold by now, even if they haven't all shipped yet.

I also wonder if they are waiting until all of the other more important news stories quiet down a bit.

4. D12 macrumors newbie

5. dmaul1114 macrumors 6502

I'm guessing supply is lower than many think and they haven't sold that many yet.

6. hcho3 macrumors 68030

With shortages in parts, apple has low supplies.

7. KittyKatta macrumors 6502a

KittyKatta

Regularly I'm surprised with Apple numbers but this time when Apple (and their followers) do start bragging about sales numbers then I'll have to roll my eyes since a sizable portion of the post-launch US iPads were indeed sold outside of the US.

8. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Why should Apple pander to mindless curiosity?

As a public corporation Apple has an obligation to periodically report it sales in various categories. But beyond this, it has little interest in giving its competitors ANY information whatsoever as to how well its various products are doing.

If Apple announced - tomorrow - that it had sold 3 million iPads in the first week and a half of its introduction, all that would do is encourage more crappy "me too" products from the Samsungs, Acers, and Adam Inks of the world. And if, for whatever reason, it only sold 2 million during the "Black Friday" sales period, it would simply encourage iditiotic posts about how "iPad is losing its momentum.."

I have little doubt that by now Apple has well over a million iPad 2 units moved "into the channel" - and by that I mean in actual consumer's hands.

But beyond that, it is worth noting that this is a business. Its not a baseball game, where every development is recorded on some sort of scoreboard.

9. AppleScruff1 macrumors G3

AppleScruff1

Does Apple normally make an announcement when the million mark it hit?

10. dmaul1114 macrumors 6502

VrDrew,

That would make sense if Apple hadn't been regularly announcing sales milestones after the iPad 1 launch. I'd think if they'd hit 1 million they would have announced. Just now way there were 1 million units in the US already with the long ship times, long lines with not everyone getting one, and stock being held back for the international launch on Friday.

11. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

It took the first iPad 28 days to reach a million sales with a US and International release, its only been 13 days since the iPad 2 was released to the US only, other countries will begin selling it this friday.

Patience.

12. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

It might be worth restricting the initial launch of the iPad 3 to China. I wonder if you'd get gangs of Americans queueing up every day outside the Apple Stores in Beijing and Shanghai? ;)

13. MSUSpartan macrumors 6502

AAPL shares have been taking a beating lately. Hope they have some good announcements soon.

14. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

15. jddar macrumors regular

jddar

They'll probably make an announcement of how many were sold in April when they introduce iOS 5. I think that is when they made the first report last year.

16. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

17. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    I'm thinking it would be good to make the announcement on Thursday or Friday of this week. Just before the international release to get a little extra media bump leading up the the launch

18. bossxii macrumors 68000

They probably can annouce "1 Million Sold" but they would have to post a note below "Only 500,000 shipped."

Demand is there to sell that many, just not the supply.

19. vkramer macrumors regular

The announcement will be made during the iOS5 Event in a few weeks. I BET!!

20. WiiDSmoker macrumors 65816

WiiDSmoker

And you would be right in line congratulating them if they announced it.

21. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    surely Apple has sold 1 million iPads by NOW...

22. shen macrumors 6502

(to reference the two most insane threads on this board lately) they are not allowed to count the radioactive iPads, nor are they counting the ones bought by agents who bought them simply to return them to Apple so they could sell them again and hide their low supply numbers.

23. scottgroovez macrumors regular

One million is no longer the bench mark... 100 billion is.
    [​IMG]

24. Pballer110 macrumors 6502

Makes no sense for apple to hire agents to purchase ipads and return them to hide low supply. That would cost apple money. Trust me they want as many ipads in customer hands as possible. Once the customer has it they will then spend on accessories and apps that apple makes an even bigger profit margin on.