Where's the new 30" LED? Come on MacRumors, give me a RUMOR!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by rmpstudio, Mar 17, 2009.

1. rmpstudio macrumors member

I'm jones'in for the new 30" and i'm holding off on buying the new mac pro until i know whether they're going to come out with a MATTE version or if they're going to stick it to the photographers out there and make it glossy :(

Any RUMORS on release date for the new 30" or even a 24" matte?

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

It's somewhere, but we don't know where.

The end.

3. rmpstudio thread starter macrumors member

But is it a mac community wishlist item or is it actually going to be produced?

4. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Apple will stop using CCFL completely at some point so it is bound to be produced. When is another matter.

5. DeepCobalt macrumors regular

Nostalgia for the old Steve Jobs Days...

Unfortunately, Apple is slipping as Steve Jobs remains on sick leave...

We have ONE working choice for an external monitor for a MacBook/MacBook Pro/Mini-- the dreaded glossy-only 24inch. The 30inch is NOT COMPATIBLE with these machines. Don't let Apple tell you otherwise. The cable offered (the $99 Mini-display port to dual link DVI adapter) doesn't get the job done--flickering occurs *at best* or all kinds of other issues at worst.

The two monitors are not even in the same family! One is an LED unit with a short cable designed for laptops (that sit next to the monitor--good luck plugging it into a Mac Pro unless you want the tower on your desk :eek:), and the other is a nice, though 2-year old, no-iSight 30" LCD display. Weird. If this were a normal time, Apple would have a couple (or even three) choices for laptops and a selection for desktops that *match*, *work as advertised*, and make sense.

The Mac Pro basically has no new monitor available for it--just the old 30". So you're spending $6K on a new octad 2.93 and have to buy a 2-year-old monitor???

Steve??? Do you see this???? HELP!!!! :eek: :mad: :confused:

6. Flash SWT macrumors 6502

Flash SWT

I'm not sure Steve's absence is the problem. Remember, the all-glossy-all-the-time era started under Steve. The matte option for the 17" MacBook Pro technically didn't come around until Steve was on leave either.

I'm right there with you: where the hell is the 24" matte option Apple?

7. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

8. The Hammer macrumors regular

9. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

10. Aegelward macrumors 6502a

It could be prohibitively expensive to produce a 30" LED screen too, similar pro screens using LED backlights from NEC and similar run up at over £4k, even more expensive than apple's 30"

11. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

This should be the auto-reply message to anyone who asks about an LED 30" in the future.

We will be waiting a long long time -- and the current 30" is still a fantastic monitor.

12. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

I just bit the bullet and bought a current 30" ACD. I'm expecting a price hike on any LED 30" over the CCFL model (just like the 23" to the 24" was a jump), plus they may go glossy.

As it stands the current 30" is matte, looks great and is a decent price. Yes, it's CCFL, but give it a few minutes to warm up and it is still a fantastic screen.

13. Dreamail macrumors 6502

I don't really care about a 30" LED monitor.

But I do care about a decent, up-to-date monitor, especially if it's supposed to be top of the line...

The current version sorely lacks:
    - MiniDisplayPort - to avoid that crappy, rather faulty $99, huge dongle adapter that also eats a USB port.
    - HDCP support - so all those HD iTunes movies actually play on that thing, let alone Blu-Ray movies if/when that support ever happens.

Let's face it, the 30" ACD is just not up to standards in regards to current Mac hardware and current iTunes HD movie offerings.

Keep the look, keep the CCFL, keep the FireWire 400, keep the matte, forget about a built-in iSight.
    But please Apple, update it so it actually works well within the current Apple product universe!

At this point it's just a half-baked option, that is not really working properly with 80% of the Apple product line: no Apple laptops, Mac minis nor iMacs.
    And it will never play Blu-Ray movies ever. At least legally.

It is a dead end product.

14. design-is macrumors 65816

design-is

I've wondered about the 30" for a while. I'd love one...

But Apple doesn't even have a dedicated page for it any more. There used to be one with efficiency graphs and loads of useful information that helped to justify the expense... Now you just get re-directed to the new 24" screen or the 30" store page. This makes me think that there might... just might... be an update on the horizon?

I can't afford one yet anyway, so let wait and see :)

15. rmpstudio thread starter macrumors member

That's exactly what i thought. It's almost as if they're pulling PR away from the 30" in anticipation for the release of a new 30". There i go again... my wishful thinking has a way of taking over my logical and cognitive thought processes - the same thing happens when i buy a lottery ticket.

16. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

They'll sell a 30" LED when someone decides to make said panel. You can't possibly expect Jobs to go "Boom!" and a 30" LED panel appear out of thin air?

17. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

They do it with CPUs on a regular basis...

18. rmpstudio thread starter macrumors member

19. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Apple is a large hardware manufacturer in the sense that they sell a lot of computers, but in the monitor business they are very small, so if anyone were to get a newer panel first it would be a company like Dell or something.

20. hitekalex macrumors 68000

hitekalex

No, Apple won't announce Mac hardware upgrades at developers conference. The upcoming WWDC will be all about Snow Leopard and iPhone.

21. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Could be silent on the same day.

It's a developer conference, remember. Developers. Professionals. The 30" is a professional display.

22. skyline r34 macrumors 6502

skyline r34

I sure hope your right on this T.Skil, i've been waiting for a year and half for a LED 30-inch, Do you think they will give users a choice like they did with the 17-inch MacBook Pro's between a matt with the current design and Glossy with the new design, I prefer the new design with glossy for me.

23. hitekalex macrumors 68000

hitekalex

I don't believe we're going to see any 30" ACD updates this year, least of all LED panel. As it's been pointed out numerous times, there is no 30" LED panel being manufactured at a reasonable price range. I don't see Apple releasing a $5,000 monitor at this time. The technology just isn't there yet at the right price point.

24. macintel4me macrumors 6502

I saw this Samsung 30" LED display on sale for $2600.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001266

EDIT: Link to the $2600 sale on this 30" display: http://salestores.com/samsun201.html

25. skyline r34 macrumors 6502

skyline r34