Where's the rush of iAds???

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mad Mac Maniac, Jul 21, 2010.

1. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    I know iAds are supposed to be a cash cow, but the only one I see is for the nissan leaf. I think Nissan is the real winner in this situation... Have you guys seen any others?

2. spades1412 macrumors 6502

I saw one today in pandora for dove soap I think.

3. Project-79 macrumors 6502

Project-79

I wish I could see an iAd! In Canada, it just loads a black square with an iAd logo in the bottom right. And I'm sure we were supposed to get iAds at the same time as you guys; Apple did say July 1st for North America!

4. M77 macrumors newbie

5. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

For Apple perhaps. With a minimum $1 million buy in, only advertisers with deep pockets are signing up. And of those that have been confirmed, very few have got their act together.

6. maddux2005 macrumors 6502

lol this made me laugh too

never have I before seen anyone excited to see ads, until iAds lol

7. KameronBriggs macrumors 6502

KameronBriggs

I usually see them when on Safari with my iPad and iPhone. They piss me off.

8. maddux2005 macrumors 6502

iAds aren't in safari are they? Safari is ad free. I don't recall ever seeing an ad in 3 years of using safari

9. admanimal macrumors 68040

Nothing you see in Safari is an iAd.

10. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

11. Rhonen macrumors member

Rhonen

Superbowl!

12. wingnut8 macrumors 65816

wingnut8

Devs get money too, I believe.

13. samcraig macrumors P6

Given that iAds tend to be more media rich than other types of online ads and that any advertiser wants to have a "cool" factor IF they are buying in - it's going to take awhile before ads start showing up. It takes time for an agency to create the ad and all of its assets and get approval. Plus there's the huge buy in required.

In other words - it's not that someone hasn't "gotten their act together" - it's that you don't spend that kind of money and just whip something up and throw it on the platform.

14. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

15. Mad Mac Maniac thread starter macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

and yet iAds have begun since March.... a little over 4 months. they haven't gotten their act together...

16. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Besides "nothing you see in Safari" the iPad doesn't have iOS4 yet so no iAds.

17. samcraig macrumors P6

The iPhone launched less than 30 days ago. How many companies signed on and BOUGHT placement in the last 4 months? Do you know? Do you know how long it takes to create a campaign. And one so specific to a new platform? Do you know each company's ad approval process?

Sorry to counter your original post with logic and experience in the field. No doubt that's your reason for again asserting a flawed hypothesis.

18. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

There's a lot we don't now. First, I thought Apple makes the sds, not the company. I don't know if each company has to approve the ads though. I would assume. I guess the only concrete things we know is that companies have paid Apple for iAds and iAds officially were released on July 1st.

19. Mad Mac Maniac thread starter macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

Actually the iphone launched about 3 years and 30 days ago. You probably meant to say the iphone 4. I don't in any way see how that is relavant... iAds are on more than the iP4... You don't need an iP4 to develop an iAd... Where's your logic in that?

I have no idea how many "BOUGHT" placement in the last 4 months... 0? 500? I don't think you really know either... So I don't see your point. but I do remember seeing Apple touting months ago how advertisers have already signed on for millions upon millions of iAds for the rest of 2010. So that seems like a lot of opportunity that is slow on the move...

Also they don't have to create an entirely new ad campaign... just transfer some existing ideas onto the iPhone. Spectacular iPhone applications can be made in less time, do you really think making an ad is that much more difficult?? You are right, I don't have a lot of experience in the field so I don't know how long the approval process is, but for the opportunity to jump on board and be an early adopter for iAds, I would think at least ONE company would be able to accelerate the process to realease an iAd within a month of the iAd launch date.

Right now EVERY single iAd app is constantly promoting the nissan leaf.. That's a pretty awesome deal for nissan. Don't these companies care about exposure? Right now they could easily be 1 of only 2 or 3 iAds out there. When people are still looking for iAds just to check them out. In a few months there will be dozens of iAds out there and people will tire of them.... wasted opportunity...

Maybe you disagree and think companies should just take their sweet time to churn out iAds, but I think that's ridiculous. And I don't care how much "experience in the field" you have.

20. hoogen macrumors regular

hoogen

when i first glanced at this is thought it said "wheres the rush of aids".

but yea, im pretty happy with how it is now. i really dont even notice pop-ups or ad's anymore

21. samcraig macrumors P6

Where's my logic? IOS 4 was launched when? That's more specific. AND relevant.

You don't need an iPhone4 to develop an iAd. True. So tell me when did the specs go out to the agencies on how to create the iAds. What size, format, etc were required by Apple to be compatible with their iOS 4 enabled devices?

Forgive me for not detailing every minute aspect - but the fact that you fail to see logic in my original post shows more about your lack of understanding of how things work in the business.

Like you said - you have no idea how many bought.

You also have no idea how advertising campaigns work. Let me enlighten you since I have over 20 years worth. You just don't spend a million on a campaign and just "just transfer some existing ideas onto the iPhone. Spectacular iPhone applications can be made in less time, do you really think making an ad is that much more difficult?? "

You're dealing with a whole new/different medium, audience and UI potential.

Did you see the Toy Story iAd? You think they just whipped that up in a week?

I agree that right now it's a wasted opportunity to NOT have them out on the iPhone. But corporate BS red tape can often make campaigns and buys get delayed or changed MANY times before they hit the air. That's the nature of the beast.

"very few have got their act together" - it's more complicated than that and that was my point.

22. Mad Mac Maniac thread starter macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

But you didn't SAY iOS 4 though... You said "iPhone". Very different. Semantics aside, iOS 4 is Relevant, but ultimately not indicative of how much long till iAds can be released. Sure that was the first moment that iAds could be in the wild, but that didn't prevent them from preparing the previous 3 months. So you can't really use that time as the begining of the iAd preperation timeline...

Do you know? Since you phrased it as a question I'm assuming you don't. My understanding is that all the tools were launched with the SDK for iOS 4. Unless you can prove otherwise that's the date I'm going off of.

So your argument for defending your original post is "I'm right, because I'm right. If you don't see my logic it can't be a flaw in my logic, it's because you just don't know" :rolleyes:

Neither do you. But from the magnitude of iAd revenue Apple mentioned I know there is least a few. But not knowing how many companies bought on is irrelevant. My point is that more companies should have bought in and have rolled out iAds already. My claim isn't that the hundreds of companies that bought in to iAds should have unveiled them, my claim is that some companies should have already bought in and completed iAds by now, over 4 months later.

I'm not denying that there is a learning curve, but I would have thought that some companies would have started rolling them out by now

Actually I have not. That's my point. I haven't seen ANYTHING besides the nissan leaf. But if Toy Story came out with some outstanding iAd that you are touting about here, surely a couple of other companies could have come up with some sort of iAds...

And that wasted opportunity is my main point. I'm not denying that things can take a while in the corporate world, I have seen a lot of that first hand, but I would think they would have created deadlines to try to push this thing out ASAP. And from my prior understanding there have been ZERO iAds created and completed thus far. But apparently there is a toy story one??

23. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Sorry, didn't mean to discount the complexity when I used that phrasing. All these factors that you talk about are, IMHO, part of the "act".

EDIT: P.S. Apple's press release on iAds debut lists a number of companies who we have yet to see iAds from: AT&T, Best Buy, Campbell Soup Company, Chanel, Citi, DirecTV, GEICO, GE, JCPenney, Liberty Mutual Group, Sears, State Farm, Target, Turner Broadcasting System and The Walt Disney Studios.

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2010/06/07iads.html

24. xalex macrumors newbie

iAds are the worst thing that ever happened to iphone.

iAds=Aids

25. gloomcookie1 macrumors regular

I think some people are also missing the fact that it's up to the developers to add iads into their applications, this is not about Apple or even the companies that have signed up for iads - if you're a developer and don't want to put an iad from Target into your application it has little to do with the company that actually does the ad.

I see plenty of apps still using admob. I'm sure that iads will come when developers submit their apps for updates.

I've seen the Nissan Leaf and the Dove one so far. They're both actually pretty cool - the Dove one has a couple of neat videos and you can send a voice mail from Andy Petite to someone from it - it's quirky if not a little neat.