Which 16GB RAM from Newegg.ca (all $109.99)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cwillie, Apr 13, 2012.

1. cwillie macrumors newbie

Newegg.ca has finally dropped their prices to a sane level for 16gb ram. There are 5 brands on their website.

The corsair, mushkin, and patriot are $109.99 and ship free, the g skill is $109.99 plus shipping, and the crucial is $169.99.

I have an early 2011 13" 2.7 MBP. I am looking to upgrade to 16GB. I have read reviews of some and they seem to be mixed.

What brand would you reccommend?

Thanks.

2. AppChat macrumors regular

i doubt you would even need 16gb of ram. 8gb would be more then enough

3. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

I use these and haven't had a single problem.

----------

Depends on what you do. The average person is fine with 8GB, though :)

4. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

FYI: I have a 2011 15" MBP 2.2 i7..

I bought 2 of these about 6 weeks ago.. They were $140/pr then, have worked flawlessly..

NO issues with Mushkin in previous Apple products for me, EVER.. :apple:

5. stevemiller macrumors 68000

not sure if this is just to provoke argument or not, but seriously... some of us do some very heavy lifting on our laptops, what is the basis for your assumption that it isn't needed?

to the op, thanks for this heads up, i've been on the fence about when to add memory, and this price drop/free shipping seems to be the excuse i've been looking for! the only thing i'm on the fence about is the tradoffs between the 1333 and 1600 speed sticks.

6. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Assume much?

OP, any of those should work fine. As long as you have the ability to return non-working RAM, you're fine.

7. Ohrstrom macrumors 6502

Ohrstrom

8. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

I would disagree a little bit. I use 1600 MHz memory that isn't "officially compatible" with this computer, but I know that the CPU supports it, hence I knew it would work. There is no Apple magic going on here. It's full of normal PC components. As long as you're buying the right components that are compatible with the bits that are already in your computer, you won't have a problem. Normally the issues reported when dealing with memory are due to either a faulty stick, or completely incompatible memory (CAS or timing etc)

9. Ohrstrom macrumors 6502

Ohrstrom

Either way Ive still seen some posts where people who have bought memory that arent mac tested, who cant get them to work and even had their memory tested in another computer where it does work. So yeah, like you say, normally its other issues, but I did say it was uncommon, but it still exists.

10. gpzjock macrumors 6502a

I bought Corsair RAM for 2011 MBP

No problems whatsoever, recommended.

11. user418 macrumors 6502a

user418

I found this Corsair kit on Amazon.

No tax and free shipping. Most importantly, works great so far in my MBP.

12. Spadoinkles macrumors regular

I reckon the brands are mostly subjective. RAM works as ram. I ordered mine just over a week ago, and chose Corsair over Komputerbay simply because I've had a good past experience with Corsair and would pay $8 for that peace of mind.
    IMO, 16gigs is hard to fully utilise unless you're into seriously demanding work. I'm already paging out with my 16s but unless you're seriously struggling, you'd be fine with 8..

P.S 16 ordered from Amazon

13. cwillie thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks folks. Ordered the Corsair. Came to $124.29 after that damn HST was added.