Which 17" Macbook Pro screen is better (9c98 or 9c99)?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jjahshik32, Feb 28, 2009.

1. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Just curious which screen are the best out of the two manufacturers that I've seen around here.

The consensus tells me the 9c99 is better?

2. NStocks macrumors 65816

I'm not sure which one is 'better'.. they have only just been shipped but I've got the 98 panel and it seems fine. Calibration wouldn't go a miss though ( if only I have a calibrator ! ) as the colors seem a little on the blue side.

3. amitdoc2b macrumors 6502a

Reading this thread, everyone seems happier with the 9c99.

I personally have the 9c99 and am pleased.

I do think all the screens are dimmer in the 17 UMBP's though compared to the previous model and 15 inch unibodies..

This is something rumored to be fixed in a software update next week.

4. NStocks macrumors 65816

This sounds good actually. I have the 98 screen and it's very nice however the extra brightness would be better.

5. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

6. Quu macrumors 68020

Quu

I have a 9c99 and it looks awesome. A friend of mine got his 17" on Friday and he came over this afternoon we compared screens his has a 9c98 panel they look almost identical. His was perhaps a little bluer but nothing that calibration couldn't fix (Which we did).

I'd be pleased with either myself they both look great.

7. thoryamaha919 macrumors member

I have the 9c99 and its looks great! Personally, I don't have any issues in the way of brightness. I don't even have my brightness up to the half way point. This display is the best I have seen on a laptop. :apple:

8. Thunder82 macrumors 6502

I also have the 9C99 and love it. I've compared it to a 9C98 and personally like the 9c99 better. The 9C99 seems a tad brighter and the 9c98 seems to have a slight blue-ish tint to it. Id be happy with the 98 too, but the 99 just seems a tad nicer in my opinion.

9. amitdoc2b macrumors 6502a

The issue isn't that the new 17 UMBP isnt bright enough, it definitely is great. Of course nobody has issues with that. The problem is that compared to the old 17 MBP and current 15 UMBP its not as bright in the same settings.

It should have even brighter options for those of us who prefer it in comparison to past 17 MBP and current 15 UMBP.

10. Quu macrumors 68020

Quu

So by your logic Apple should keep making the Display brighter with each revision just so on paper they can say its better then the old one.

At which point should we complain about having our faces melted off? :D

11. amitdoc2b macrumors 6502a

No not at all.. but atleast make its brightness options equivalent to last years 17 inch MBP and 15 inch UMBP. It is much dimmer at equal settings when putting it side by side to these old laptops.

I'm not asking for MORE than the previous laptops brightness, just equal!!

12. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I think Apple should set the options so that when your laptop is set to max brightness, the screen is as bright as the specification of the LED safely allows. It's a simple solution, no? Max = maximum that the LED can emit within spec. If that's why the 17" MBP's screen isn't as bright as the 15" MBP at max brightness, then so be it.

I don't think Apple should simply make both the 17" and 15" have equal brightness. That would mean intentionally limiting one of the machines so that one doesn't look brighter than the other. I think it sets a bad precedent.

If they need to set the LED to produce slightly more light than its specifications say it can, just so that customers feel that their screen is as bright as a 15" MBP, then perhaps people are being unreasonable.

13. Sir Cecil macrumors 6502a

Who will be using the new 17" side-by-side with one of last year's 15"?
    The only thing that matters is that the 17" is an ideal brightness match for the 24" LED monitor that many people WILL be using it with.
    My 17" matches my 24" LED display perfectly.
    Would you prefer it didn't, so that you could match it to another laptop that will never be used alongside it?

14. taphil macrumors regular

:confused:

He's just asking that the new 17" be as bright as the 15". What's wrong with that? Why are you drawing absurd conclusions where none is even implied? Or are you trying to belittle people who have reasonable complaints and concerns?

You obviously think your 17" display is bright as it should be and can go as bright as the 24" display, but there are 17" MBPs in stores that are so dim that they're hardly usable in a bright or moderately lit environment. The 15", on the other hand, is bright enough.

Just because you have a perfect MBP display doesn't mean that problems don't exist for other people.

15. amitdoc2b macrumors 6502a

you hit it on the nail, thank u!

16. amitdoc2b macrumors 6502a

my understanding is that the march and october 17inch mbp's from last year both had led displays with brighter screens than the current 17inch umbp from this feb.

17. iaymnu macrumors 6502

I got the 17" 2.66 with the 9c98. It has the annoying bluish tint out of the box and also is dimmer than my 15" uni. I'm going to see if i can swap for another 2.66 with a 9c99 screen.

18. NStocks macrumors 65816

I know what you mean. Have you considered calibrating it at all ? I don't own a calibrator myself but like with the 15" unibody several posters uploaded their color profiles and that drastically improved my previous 15" Unibody. The 9c98 screen is gorgeous, I feel that it is bright enough but it would be nice to know that it can go brighter, and like you said it's just a little on the blue side, but that can easily be fixed.

NStocks

19. iaymnu macrumors 6502

I tried calibrating it, but i don't have a hardware one. I used supercal and it is quite tough getting it correct. The snow storm just stopped in NYC and I am heading to apple to see if i can swap one. It is just frustrating. Also I have a pop noise when I delete or move files.....

20. ayasin macrumors 6502

Noob question: How do I figure out what display I have?

21. Minimoose 360 macrumors 65816

Minimoose 360

System Preferences > Displays > Color > Open Profile > Click on 13

22. ayasin macrumors 6502

Cool thanks! I have 9c98, perfect display, no complaints.

23. iaymnu macrumors 6502

Back from :apple: and I got my machine exhanged. I got the 9c98 screen again :( but this time it is way brighter but the screen flickers. It stops when I have 3 bars up for brightness plugged in and 4 bars running battery.:mad:

Annoying.....I am going to try another :apple: store

24. xpovos macrumors 6502a

xpovos

I'm disappointed to learn that this issue is also found on the new 17" models. It is (or at least was) extremely common on the new 15's---enough so that I got four in a row with this problem. Exactly as you described, the flickering occurred only below 3 bars. This and other issues forced me to abandon the model.

Last I checked, the thinking is that it's a firmware issue.

25. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

All I can say is that apple's quality has gone to *****.