Which 3Gs version should I get?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by zoomin6, Nov 11, 2009.

1. zoomin6 macrumors member

Some of you may know that I almost fell to a scam on ebay when looking to buy an iPhone 3Gs

Now, I'm just going to go to Best Buy and buy it for full retail price: 16GB-$600 32GB-$700....I'm pretty sure those are the prices.

Which one should I get? I'm paying full retail because obviously I don't want to get an upgrade with all of these rumors of a possible 4G coming out next summer, so I'll hold on my upgrade for that and get the 4G for a subsidized price :) then I'll just sell the 3Gs that I'm going to get this weekend and make up for some of the funds.

So question is....should I get the 16GB or the 32GB?
    And will I HAVE to activate my iPhone there at Best Buy?

Thanks,

Walter.

2. Daremo macrumors 68000

Daremo

Damn. If you're going to drop full price on a phone, what's a hundred bucks? Go for the 32GB!

3. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Why are you paying full price? Don't want full commitment or are out of upgrade status?

In any case, difference between both phones is only $100. You are already dropping $600+tax... so, for $100 more you get double space. Question is, do you really need it?

4. zoomin6 thread starter macrumors member

Yes that's very true, the $100 difference for double the memory is worth it..but like jav6454 asked, I don't think I'll really need 32GB...that's A LOT of memory. And $600 isn't exactly pocket change for anybody, maybe for millionaires but I do not have the pleasure right now to be in that league lol

Earlier this year I had my iPhone 2G 8GB and I was happy with that, so the 3Gs is a HUGE upgrade from my 2G and double the memory with 16GB, and quadruple the memory with 32GB :)

I don't think I am in upgrade status as I upgraded my 2G for a Nokia E71x(which is an amazing phone) earlier this year, but now that the 3Gs has features that I felt the 2G lacked, I'm going for the buy...but I am pretty sure I will be in upgrade status by next summer...and by next summer if the 4G does come out, i'll upgrade then, and I'm hoping that I can sell the 16GB 3Gs on ebay for at least $400?

Walter.

5. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Actually, if you have the 2G, just go to an AT&T store and boom! $299 32GB 3GS. 2G owners have insta upgradeability. I was a 2G owner from 2007 to 2009 (September'07 to August'09).

6. zoomin6 thread starter macrumors member

7. zoomin6 thread starter macrumors member

I was a 2G owner since early 2008 :)...but I actually gave the 2G to my aunt so that's not an option :( lol

How do you like the upgrade from a 2G to the 3Gs??

Either way, I'll just upgrade next summer if a new iPhone version comes out, possibly the 4G? At least that's what I'm hoping to do since I can't upgrade at the moment...

Walter.

8. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Next iPhone will still be 3G with a new chip allowing theoretical speeds of either 14.4Mb/s or 21.8Mb/s....

4G won't happen yet.

Also, 2G is 2G, it will be shown on your account. Just talk to the rep, I'm sure they can help.

9. zoomin6 thread starter macrumors member

Wait...so you think I can still upgrade to a 3Gs even though I don't have the 2G anymore

Also, is that "insta upgradeability" non-commitment where I don't have to sign a new 2 year contract? Or do I?

So really the next iPhone will most likely be a tad faster, and with a few small improvements over the 3Gs right? No drastic improvements like a 4G

Walter.

10. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

if you are upgrade eligible and take the offer it's a 2-year contract. Improvements over the 3GS? Not much, after all the 3GS is brand new guts and last guts (1st Gen and 3G) lasted 2 years and are still going.

Yes, you don't need your 2G with you. Remember, many people sold their 2G's when the 3G was about to be released.

11. zoomin6 thread starter macrumors member

Ahhhh ok ok I gotcha :)

I will try and see if I'm eligible at Best Buy this weekend, if not though, I will end up just getting it at full price...which one would you get?

I know that by next summer I will definitely be eligible for an upgrade so I'll take the advantage then

Walter.

12. greygray macrumors 68000

greygray

Just plonk down the $100 more for the 32GB. Twice the memory space allows more stuff to be stored.

13. zoomin6 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks everybody for the help....I couldn't resist anymore so I went out to Best Buy today, and got a 32GB 3Gs!!!!! :D

I couldn't be happier...I wasn't eligible for an upgrade, but was for an early upgrade, had to pay $200 more but total came out to $500 plus taxes and an incase slider case that I bought.

So instead of paying $700 I saved $200!

jav6454--you were amazing help, thank you so much!

Walter.

14. bjb.butler macrumors 6502a

bjb.butler

Really?

You're the new John Madden of macrumors