Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 19, 2013
I searched and did not see a thread dedicated to this subject (if there is one, please let me know)

During my research it seems to fully realize my 4k tv, I will need an ATV 4k as well as a 4k HDMI 2.2 receiver to pass 4k source to the tv.

So which 4k receivers are everyone using and what's your opinion on them?

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
Since receivers tend to last a long time, you might want to consider one which supports HDMI 2.1. 2.1 supports 8K video, as well has high frame rate 4K/120 gaming, among other things.

Denon just released the first 2.1 receivers. Expect other vendors to announce as the year progresses. Yamaha announced 2.1 support CES in January, but hasn't yet shipped a product.

As for 8K, it isn't just a matter of the extra pixels. There are a lot of improvements over 4k. It will be a few years before content is readily available.

Last edited:

FarmerBob

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2004
Great topic! I have been shopping for ages and still am looking. I want to go back to Yamaha, since Onkyo has trashed Pioneer. But in looking at back panels I started see similarities and started searching and see that Marantz, Denon and Yamaha are the same on many levels as are areas of ownership. Even more so lost now . . .

I have 4 Pioneers, 1 Marantz and none of the others anymore. But am really leaning towards the new Yamaha line of RX-Ax (A8 & A6). Or a good price on a 3080. Just found out the 2080 doesn't have Pass-through.

PilotC150

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2015
I have the Sony STR-DN1080, really enjoyed this AVR for the price. I have it hooked up as 5.1.2 in ceiling speakers.
I've got the same one, and generally like it. The only problem is two or three (can't remember) of the HDMI inputs stopped working within a year of having it.

I've got two weeks left on my two year warranty, so if I want them to fix it it has to be now. Last time I reached out to them they wanted me to ship it off to the east coast to get it fixed. I need to get on the phone with them, though, because there has got to be a Sony certified repair facility somewhere nearby, considering I live in the Minneapolis metro area.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 19, 2013
Since receivers tend to last a long time, you might want to consider one which supports HDMI 2.1. 2.1 supports 8K video, as well has high frame rate 4K/120 gaming, among other things.

Denon just released the first 2.1 receivers. Expect other vendors to announce as the year progresses. Yamaha announced 2.1 support CES in January, but hasn't yet shipped a product.

As for 8K, it isn't just a matter of the extra pixels. There are a lot of improvements over 4k. It will be a few years before content is readily available.

I am impressed. But it took 14 years to upgrade from my 1080 Plasma (still going strong) to my current 4k TV. And I am only going to upgrade the receiver because I want to fully enjoy the 4k experience. 8k receivers are out of my price range at the moment.

What's your opinion on the Denon AVR-S540BT?

Last edited:

GrumpyCoder

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2016
You do not need HDMI 2.2 for 4k, HDMI 1.4 works fine up to 4k with 30fps. Most movies are shot at 24fps. If you want more, then 2.0 will be fine. There are also way's around this by adding an external HDMI splitter or audio extractor, that way you connect the ATV to the splitter/extractor, connect it directly to your TV for video and in addition to your receiver for audio, either via HDMI or S/PDIF for audio. It might not be worth it though, if you're looking at something as cheap as a Denon 540. If you already have something better audio wise, then it might be an option to consider.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 19, 2013
You do not need HDMI 2.2 for 4k, HDMI 1.4 works fine up to 4k with 30fps. Most movies are shot at 24fps. If you want more, then 2.0 will be fine. There are also way's around this by adding an external HDMI splitter or audio extractor, that way you connect the ATV to the splitter/extractor, connect it directly to your TV for video and in addition to your receiver for audio, either via HDMI or S/PDIF for audio. It might not be worth it though, if you're looking at something as cheap as a Denon 540. If you already have something better audio wise, then it might be an option to consider.

thanks. My current receiver is really long in the tooth. So upgrade to something newer has been on the wish list for a while.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
You do not need HDMI 2.2 for 4k,

Did you mean HDCP 2.2? I don't know if HDMI 2.2 even exists.

What's your opinion on the Denon AVR-S540BT?

Looks as a good basic receiver with limitations due to its budget price. Doesn't do airplay 2, Alexa, struggles with less efficient speakers and large rooms:

Are your needs totally fixed for the lifetime of the receiver? If you for some reason decided you wanted to add an Xbox or Playstation (maybe poor examples for you) then it wouldn't be the best choice as they are HDMI 2.1. As time goes on there will be more 2.1 input devices. It will be the standard in maybe 5 years, although it is downward compatible.

If this is going to be a fixed configuration which is going to be static for the next X years meeting your current and future needs (until it is replaced) then go for it.

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Onkyo TX-NR676. Unfortunately it was the most recent model that they didn't update with Airplay 2 and Homekit.

Has everything I need right now though. I'll consider upgrading if I get an HDMI 2.1 TV.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
AppleTV4k(obviously) -> Denon x3300 -> Samsung QLED

This setup works brilliantly with the CEC HDMI commands, powering the wholy chain up and off, and controlling volume with just the AppleTV remote. It's really nice for wife and guests.

IIRC the Denon X1000's have plenty of power and capability, if on a budget this is perfect.
The X2000's didn't really add any substantial features.
The X3000's had a higher level of room correction, probably unnecessary, but I splurged for it.
anyhing higher seemed unnecessary to me.

Last edited:

2010mini

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 19, 2013

Looks as a good basic receiver with limitations due to its budget price. Doesn't do airplay 2, Alexa, struggles with less efficient speakers and large rooms:

Are your needs totally fixed for the lifetime of the receiver? If you for some reason decided you wanted to add an Xbox or Playstation (maybe poor examples for you) then it wouldn't be the best choice as they are HDMI 2.1. As time goes on there will be more 2.1 input devices. It will be the standard in maybe 5 years, although it is downward compatible.

If this is going to be a fixed configuration which is going to be static for the next X years meeting your current and future needs (until it is replaced) then go for it.

Yes hdcp 2.2

I am a casual gamer, so no xbox or PS in the house. I don’t see us replacing the tv until it breaks so as for 2.1, my needs are pretty fixed.

doesn’t the Apple TV already handles AirPlay? The ATV is where all my media comes from..... Live OTA TV, streaming content (music and video)

Alexa? This is a Siri household. ?

Reactions: Baron Thompson

GrumpyCoder

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2016
Woops, good catch. 2.1 actually.

I wouldn't worry too much about image formats at this point. Just get what you need now. If you want to stay up-to-date when it comes to surround sound formats, there's always something new around the corner for which you have to upgrade anyway. The only way around that is to buy a Trinnov Altitude, which can be updated via software, also brings a whole new level of sound quality compared to mainstream receivers, but comes with a hefty price tag.

Get a demo of whatever you're interested in, if you like it, buy it now and stop worrying what's around in 6 to 12 months.

Reactions: 2010mini

mmomega

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
In my living room I bought my receiver several years ago. A Pioneer VSX-90. I probably won't be replacing this one unless it just stops working.
We actually do most of our TV watching these days in our bedroom, that is the LG SN9YG sound bar with the add-on SPK8-S 2.0 surround sound speakers.

I got that receiver discounted by $250 at the time and while I wish it had another 50-75W per channel, at least up front, it has been a very nice receiver for me. The best one I have ever been able to own.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
Currently using a Yamaha A-3000. Waiting for the HDMI 2.1 replacement. According to one website August is when most of the new 2.1 receivers will be announced. Denon just announced a cheaper $649 receiver with a lot of HDMI 2.1 features (8k, eARC). But they don't say that it is HDMI 2.1, which they did say when then introduced their premium line.

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
I don't have anything 4K compatible and am very happy with my Denon x1300 which I bought four years ago. If I were to upgrade I'd get another Denon.

I'm confused as to why most of the discussion on AVRs is related to what type of video signal they can pass. Arguments on avforums about which systems can pass 4K, 8K, HDR10 and/or Dolby Vision, whether 40Gbps is enough etc etc etc. The AVR doesn't display any video - it all seems pointless to me.

I don't understand why video signals aren't sent to the TV and audio to an audio decoder. Why the video signal needs to go to an AVR, only for it to be decoded and re-encoded to send to the TV .. seems a waste. "Oh, but then I can't see the audio volume bar on my telly!" - yeah, but to get that you've paid a fortune for a box full of copyright protection stuff and dolby licences just so it can over-heat decoding and re-recoding the signal for someone to complain that 40Gpbs isn't enough and where's the missing 8.

I'm obviously missing something here as everyone else seems to "get it". What am I missing?

Reactions: Menel

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
what type of video signal they can pass.

For gamers resolution and refresh rate are important. For the general public 8K is the specification which may drive interest in a few years.

I don't understand why video signals aren't sent to the TV and audio to an audio decoder.

If you are running native TV apps, you can route TrueHD, Atmos, DTS-HD, etc. audio from your TV to your receiver using eArc.

Reactions: adrianlondon

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
If you are running native TV apps, you can route TrueHD, Atmos, DTS-HD, etc. audio from your TV to your receiver using eArc.

I understand eARC. However, the recommendation is still to connect every device to the AVR and route video to the TV rather than the other way around. Or even easier, split the signal and connect the video output to the TV and the audio output to the AVR. Which I guess I'll then rename an AR :)

Currently, we need TVs to have eARC so they can pass through object oriented sound formats such as Dolby Atmos to an audio decoder, and an AVR capable of decoding 8K HDR signals so they can pass them through to the TV/projector. Sure, it's no doubt what I'll end up buying at some point in the future. It just seems overly complicated and doomed to be out-dated as soon as someone comes up with another deep colour format that requires one to buy a new TV to display it and a new AVR to pass it through. Ah well.

Reactions: V.K.

JasonHB

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2010
Warwickshire, UK
I’m using an Anthem MRX720 AVR with ATV4K, PS4 Pro and Sony BDP-1000ES Blu-Ray as sources.
[automerge]1593707019[/automerge]
I don't have anything 4K compatible and am very happy with my Denon x1300 which I bought four years ago. If I were to upgrade I'd get another Denon.

I'm confused as to why most of the discussion on AVRs is related to what type of video signal they can pass. Arguments on avforums about which systems can pass 4K, 8K, HDR10 and/or Dolby Vision, whether 40Gbps is enough etc etc etc. The AVR doesn't display any video - it all seems pointless to me.

I don't understand why video signals aren't sent to the TV and audio to an audio decoder. Why the video signal needs to go to an AVR, only for it to be decoded and re-encoded to send to the TV .. seems a waste. "Oh, but then I can't see the audio volume bar on my telly!" - yeah, but to get that you've paid a fortune for a box full of copyright protection stuff and dolby licences just so it can over-heat decoding and re-recoding the signal for someone to complain that 40Gpbs isn't enough and where's the missing 8.

I'm obviously missing something here as everyone else seems to "get it". What am I missing?

You’re missing a lot. Firstly, it’s ease of connection and use, one input on the TV and then the AVR does all of the audio and video switching simultaneously.

Secondly, and most importantly, you can only achieve the highest quality audio formats via HDMI so this has to go via the AVR first, things like Dolby Tru-HD, DTS Master Audio and the newer Dolby Atmos and DTS-X all need to use HDMI.

If you went directly to the TV, you’d lose all of these and really not worth spending the money on your high quality AVR and speaker systems.

Reactions: Menel

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
Secondly, and most importantly, you can only achieve the highest quality audio formats via HDMI so this has to go via the AVR first, things like Dolby Tru-HD, DTS Master Audio and the newer Dolby Atmos and DTS-X all need to use HDMI.

If you went directly to the TV, you’d lose all of these and really not worth spending the money on your high quality AVR and speaker systems.
Why? HDMI to the TV, eARC via HDMI to the AVR and it's all there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.