Which ad made you switch?

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by ClassicMac247, Jan 1, 2008.

1. ClassicMac247 macrumors 6502

ClassicMac247

Which apple advertisement introduced you to the world of macintosh? Was it a print ad in the paper? A switch ad with ellen feiss? or one of those ads from the think different campaign? Feel free to post pics! Heres one of my favorite ads...:apple:

Attached Files:

2. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

This one got me.

Introducing the Power Mac G5. The worlds fastest - most powerful - personal computer...
    [​IMG]

3. dave@toastmedia macrumors member

It was a game for me, wizardry for the apple II :)

If I had to choose an add I still like the 1984 one many years ago.
    I use win/apple/unix/linux all side by side, whatever gets the job done and whatever has the best software at the time.

4. thesdx macrumors 6502a

For me, it was the early Get a Mac ads. I don't think there was any one specific ad that made me switch, but it was the Get a Mac ads, plus the whole Get a Mac section of Apple.com.

5. macEfan macrumors 65816

macEfan

Forbidden, you do not have access to that server
    Well I liked the "Here's to the crazy ones" commercial, but I had already switched... in 1997 I got a Performa 6400

6. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

I never "switched." I've been Apple since Day 1, some 29 or so years ago. It was that, or pretty much build my own (and I mean the Heath H-8, kiddies!).

Attached Files:

7. Lixivial macrumors 6502a

Lixivial

The power of parental/school influence is what made me "start" with Apple. But if there ever were an ad that would have made me switch, it'd have been:

[​IMG]

Of course there is now some irony here with Mac OS X, but that's another matter.

8. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

The day I "switch" would be the day I move to the windows pc platform,
    but seriously you guys.. why degrade one self and give oneself a huge headache?? :p

9. RacerX macrumors 65832

The ad that made me start using Macs wasn't an Apple ad at all. Back in 1989 when I was a physics major, I came across an ad for this amazing software called Theorist in a Physics Today magazine. I had never seen anything like it before and it only ran on Macintoshes.

Well, that was all it took to get me hooked.

This is a 1990 version of the ad from a MacWeek magazine...

[​IMG]

And this is what it looks like running on my PowerBook Duo 2300c...

[​IMG]

10. ClassicMac247 thread starter macrumors 6502

ClassicMac247

This is very cool, I have never seen this before.

11. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

It wasn't an ad, it was this screenshot from MacPaint. I wanted a Mac as soon as I saw it (maybe in a computer magazine), but I didn't manage to get one until three years later.

Attached Files:

12. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

No specific ad per se more of the actual products in use by people. I would've switched earlier when the Titanium PowerBooks were released but they were TOO expensive for me at the time so i waited till things became somewhat reasonable

I saw the 12" PowerBooks at a store and in use at a cafe and i just thought "I HAVE TO get that". Both hardware and software were so pretty and the price was within my reach if i jumped high enough.

So i did and it was my first mac 12" PB 1.33GHz G4. I still regret selling it to date. Urgh.

13. MacNewbie03 macrumors regular

MacNewbie03

I got my first computer in 1994, a //e. I had this for 5 years and then we switched to Windows (Gateway), software was easier to find for me and it was cheaper than the Mac. This was the Family's computer, so in 2002 I got myself a laptop, again software influenced it so I got a Gateway. In 2004 I had a Pc custom built. Again Windows. Finally in 2006 I started back towards a Mac. I got a Macbook. Then in October when the custom built PC died, I got a iMac. I really don't see me buying anything for a while but I am fairly certain it will be Mac. I really like how it just keeps working and coming back for more! :)

14. ppc_michael Guest

ppc_michael

It wasn't a single ad as much as it was a product line. It was right when the first iBook came out (and your only options were blue or orange). I was pretty big into PCs (I knew a lot of Windows programming and whatnot) and I wanted to broaden my horizons. In addition, I wanted a notebook since I had never had one before. There was the iBook, and I had to have it.

15. Maldini macrumors regular

Maldini

I didnt need an ad to switch...
    Vista did the job :D
    Thank you Microsoft for making me switch...I'm using the MBP for the past 5 months and this is the longest time without a system crash and i never had to restart the OS...life is much easier now...

16. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Hey, read about that "Welcome, IBM" ad in iWoz, cool to see it! The first computer I got was a very old Windows 95 PC (it was even old then!) so after I got my iBook, its all I needed! Macs FTW!

17. fistful macrumors 6502a

fistful

Not an ad but the tv movie Pirates of Silicon Valley back in 99. I wouldn't say it switched me initially but it planted the seed.

18. ::Lisa:: macrumors 6502a

::Lisa::

I didn't switch because of an ad.
    I just switched after all the recommendations and all.

19. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Yep, that is a good movie, although somewhat inaccurate.

20. Sly macrumors 6502

Sly

Do adverts really influence people THAT much? I find it hard to believe that an advert, how ever well produced, would make one switch to a new computing platform, which is a pretty big decision. I suppose they must or Apple wouldn't spend so much on marketing.

The radical design (at the time) of the original iMac blew me away and persuaded me to switch from the beige Win 95 hell I was in. I do have a soft spot for the Jeff Goldblum iMac ads of the period, I only really noticed them after I bought the computer though.

21. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

They caught me early, although it was 3 years before I could afford one ;)

Attached Files:

22. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

There wasn't really one specific ad that made me want to switch, but seeing all the multicolored iMacs and iBooks in TV shows and movies. The "Switch" and "Get A Mac" ads helped too though :p

23. Chanowitz macrumors member

Chanowitz

I fell in love with them back in 3rd grade in computer class using old OS 9

24. RacerX macrumors 65832

Well, I wouldn't say that I made a platform switch, but I did go from being rather indifferent about computers in general to loving Macs once I saw what could be done on them without having to learn a programing language (and yes, learning Mathematica was considered learning a programing language back then).