iPad Which Air 2 capacity would you recommend at these prices?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by powerbook911, Mar 11, 2015.

1. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

Best Buy has a sale on iPad Air 2 this week plus I have a Movers Coupon to combine with it. Therefore, which one should I go for?

Air 2 16 GB - $404.99 before tax after discounts

Air 2 64 GB - $494.99 before tax after discounts

Air 2 128GB- $539.99 before tax after discounts

I feel the 64GB is normally the sweet spot, but the worse one in this deal because it has less discount by comparison.

128GB is a great deal, but I will never use that much storage, it would be good for resell, but I might never sell it.

16GB is very small, BUT $404.99 for an iPad Air 2 with all of its great performance, is a pretty sweet deal. It would make buying the next one not such a big deal, I'd only be out $404.99 on this one.

What do you recommend?

Thanks!!

2. g.t. rags macrumors regular

ithink the 128 is the best deal

That being said I use a 16, and have a 128gb 6+ that I use for on the go storage and file transfers.

Air drop is my friend.

3. jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

I'd go with the 128 GB, but that's because I have one. I've consistently used 75% of the capacity with various games, movies and tons of photos.

Not too difficult to load up for me :D

4. Mivo macrumors regular

Mivo

It mostly depends on whether you'll resell it eventually. You said that isn't likely, and you won't need 128 GB of storage (would be the same situation for me). Still: I wouldn't go under 64 GB (you won't have 16 GB after iOS and the standard apps), but if the price difference between 64 and 128 GB is only 45 bucks, I would probably go for the 128 GB device even if I didn't need it. If you plan to get the next model, there's still the resale option.

5. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

It really depends on your budget and how you use your iPad. I have always had 16gb models on my iPad's and never had an issue. My main uses for iPad are web, streaming Netflix, the occasional game, and face time. None of that requires hardly any storage so I would be wasting my money buying more than I need. When I do listen to music, I stream Spotify.

Some users play a lot of games which require space and like to have tons of videos, songs, and pictures. For that a 64 or more is required.

As far as deals go, I'd say the 16 is a great price point at just over 400. If you like to get a new iPad pretty regularly, as you said the 16 wouldn't break the bank.

6. DiCaprioAngel macrumors 6502

My recommendation would be to go for the 128GB iPad Air 2. The price for that amount of storage isn't all that bad (for my 128GB rMini, I think I paid close to $900 after tax), plus you wouldn't have to constantly worry about running out of space in the long run with the accumulation of songs, movies, videos, photos, etc.

7. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

If you can afford it, go with the 128.
    My 128 is by far the highest capacity iPad/iPhone I've had, and it's really nice not having to worry about running out of room.
    And if you do decide to sell it at some point, that extra space will bring you some extra bucks.

8. Rodster macrumors 68040

I would NOT get a 16GB tablet these days. You will regret it unless all you'll do is stream music, watch videos and surf the web. If not 16GB which is really around 11GB that's useable is not enough.

The price between the 64 and 128GB is under $40. That's the deal right there. So if I had to choose i'd go with the 128GB.

9. Fishels macrumors member

I recommend you wait. The battery life is pretty meh

10. powerbook911 thread starter macrumors 68040

powerbook911

I sure appreciate all the advice!

I am still torn. I actually know the 16GB would work for me now and $404.99 is such a good price for something that runs that well. However, what if I just have to have an App in a few months that is another 2-3GB? That might put me over.

On the other hand, I will never use near 128GB (I actually do on my iPhone have 128, but iPad I put zero music and video).

Thanks again, I will try to decide. Great price, or $140 more for 128GB, it's tough call especially as I want the Pro come the fall, but not sure I will want to completely give up the Air 2 at that time either.

11. mgipe macrumors demi-god

mgipe

16 is near useless. 128 is the best deal here.

12. powerbook911 thread starter macrumors 68040

powerbook911

I don't feel it is useless. I have used 16s in the past. I agree it's pathetically low, and I will probably go with your recommendation and the others who suggested it too, but I do think the 16 is still a great device, if you use it for streaming music, web, email, and several apps. It's fine for that. I put zero videos, zero music.

I wish the 64GB model has $75 off instead of $50 (plus my coupon) because that would then be the sweet spot for me.

I just can't stand to get the 64, when I can get the 128 for $45 more.

13. mgipe macrumors demi-god

mgipe

Yes, not useless, but near useless. iOS keeps getting bigger, leaving less space for your stuff. I have a family member who uses her iPad for streaming, web, email, photos, and a few small apps. No music, no video. Every time Apple pre-downloads an update, she runs out of room to take a photo, and runs to me to find out why her iPad is broken.

The price under your deal is very attractive, though. I also agree that it's too bad the 64 doesn't have the same discount, because that would be ideal.

Hard choice. Going up in capacity is less risky than going down, but you pay the price, and I understand that part of the motivation for the purchase is the opportunity for a bargain.

Good luck with your decision!

14. technosix macrumors 6502a

Apple's pricey, so forget price. You can either afford to or you can't.

I suggest buying the capacity one level above what you think you need. That way you won't regret not going bigger later on. Plus resale is proportional, you'll do just fine.

15. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

It sounds like you want to go with the 16gb. As I stated before, you should go with what YOU want. Everyone here is going to recommend 128 just like everyone recommends that every user needs 16gb of ram on their MacBook's when in reality hardly anyone does. If you can afford it sure, spring for the 128. But if that difference in price stretches your wallet, just go with the 16gb. I consistently have 5-6gb of free space on my 16gb. It's all about your usage habits. With cloud storage so easily accessible for pictures, and music can be streamed along with videos, 16gb is plenty for those that don't do a whole lot on their iPad.

16. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

That's like saying someone who can afford a $40,000 Mercedes should also be able to afford a $90,000 Mercedes because well, Mercedes are expensive so if you can't get the $90,000 model, just don't get one.

17. technosix macrumors 6502a

While I appreciate your vivid imagination you're off the mark... :)

18. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

Definitely not the 16GB, that's not even an option unless you don't expect to keep much on the iPad itself. But personally, with only a 40$ difference, I'd probably go for the 128GB. Even if you don't need that much, 40$ is a small price difference to double a units storage. It never hurts especially since apple now allows 4GB apps in the App Store now. You can always find stuff to store on there. But I highly advise avoiding the 16gigs

19. iPadDad macrumors 6502

iPadDad

20. RossMak macrumors 6502

RossMak

With those prices I would go with the 128GB for an extra $45 you are getting twice the storage it definitely seems the best deal.

However it depends on what you use it for at the end of the day.

21. madgibbon macrumors member

Depends what you are going to use it for. If's just web browsing, social networking and the add game save some money and get the 16Gb version. However apps are getting bigger, all my previous iPad's have been 16Gb, but I did get a 64Gb Air 2 and have no regrets spending the extra cash. But I do play a lot of games which take up a lot of space.

22. powerbook911 thread starter macrumors 68040

powerbook911

Thanks all. I ordered the 128. I think I could have been happy with 16 for the next year, but in case I keep the device long term, you never know what apps I might need someday, right? And the 64 in this sale wasn't as good of a deal.

Now my only regret is if I should have gotten a cellular version. Thing is, it would have been honestly 1 or 2 times per year I would need cellular version, 99 percent of the time, iPad does not leave my home. I hope I won't regret it.

I really want iPad Pro, so perhaps I can get cellular in that one if I have to have it.

I wonder how sales are in Wi-Fi versus cellular? Best Buy sorted by best selling shows Wi-Fi in the top 10 spots or so. However, if you look at ebay, a lot of the devices are cellular, they seem to hold more value too. Oh well.

Now I have to hope it comes mint. I tried to buy in-store earlier this year and both I bought had scratches right out of the box. The second one I opened in store so they would believe me. Fingers crossed this time with the mail order.

23. PowerBook-G5 macrumors 65816

PowerBook-G5

Excuse me? Are you being sarcastic or serious? My iPad Air 2 routinely gets 12-15 hours of battery life on a single charge. The battery life is probably only going to get even more "meh" with the next generation if Apple makes it thinner, regardless of the A9's potential power savings.

24. Fishels macrumors member

Serious. 9 hours is the farthest I have got . It's a proven fact the battery is smaller and the claims of the same life are laughable. You must be using apps that hardly use power at all. My air 2 gets 6 hours with just safari. sounds like you might work for PR if you say anything different. A quick google search will back up everything I have said including reviews, complaints etc.