Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
I recommend you wait. The battery life is pretty meh

Most asinine comment in this thread.....

The battery life on the Air 2 is better than any mobile device I own - which includes laptops.

I leave it off the charger for days and use it quite extensively for everything from gaming to surfing the web to reading textbooks and doing school work.

You won't get better battery life.

Fishels

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2015
Most asinine comment in this thread.....

The battery life on the Air 2 is better than any mobile device I own - which includes laptops.

I leave it off the charger for days and use it quite extensively for everything from gaming to surfing the web to reading textbooks and doing school work.

You won't get better battery life.

That last sentence had me rolling on the floor. The air one beat air 2 by an hour. Not to mention some tablets have 3-4 more hours.

Mivo

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2015
Germany
Serious. 9 hours is the farthest I have got . It's a proven fact the battery is smaller and the claims of the same life are laughable.

Your posts are becoming more troll-ish.

The numbers you report are unusually low and do not match my experience. My Air 2 gives me more battery life than my iPad 2 did when it was new, with the usage roughly being the same. Battery technology and optimization efforts have not remained stagnant over the past few years.

Right now, my Air 2's usage since the last charge (not just full charge, but any charge) says: 10 hours, 6 min , with 2 days, 12 hours standby. I have 24% left. Most used app: Chrome with 35%, which means web browsing with wifi on. So I'm looking at over 12 hours here, with the chief use being web browsing. The device runs at 40-50% brightness. I can take a screenshot if you'd like.

Those are hard numbers that I experience first hand and can repeat as often as I want. Now, you may well get absurdly low numbers while roughly doing the same as me, but that is representative only of your device, not of every other Air 2. If I got 7 or 8 hours doing this, I would have taken it back.

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 15, 2005
Hate to tell you but those prices are for the older iPad Air NOT the newest iPad Air 2.

No. I paid $539.99 for the iPad Air 2 128GB Wi-Fi. I also did in January but had to return it as it was scratched out the box (sealed from Apple).

Best Buy had $100 off all 128GB Air 2s last week, to knock it to $599.99, and I had a 10 percent mover's coupon that knocked it to $539.99.

Mine is arriving on Wednesday. I hope it isn't factory damaged this time and has a good screen. :) Wish me luck :apple:

I will do a final update if all goes well when I receive it.

I didn't mind all the comments regarding battery. I have actually used the Air 2 all day at work several times, work unit. I tried to stay away from it to enjoy my Air 2 if I finally got one. I noticed battery did drop quite a bit faster than my old iPad 3, but more than enough capacity for me. I guess some people could find that hit disappointing. I like that it charges faster as the battery is smaller though.

Fishels

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2015
Your posts are becoming more troll-ish.

The numbers you report are unusually low and do not match my experience. My Air 2 gives me more battery life than my iPad 2 did when it was new, with the usage roughly being the same. Battery technology and optimization efforts have not remained stagnant over the past few years.

Right now, my Air 2's usage since the last charge (not just full charge, but any charge) says: 10 hours, 6 min , with 2 days, 12 hours standby. I have 24% left. Most used app: Chrome with 35%, which means web browsing with wifi on. So I'm looking at over 12 hours here, with the chief use being web browsing. The device runs at 40-50% brightness. I can take a screenshot if you'd like.

Those are hard numbers that I experience first hand and can repeat as often as I want. Now, you may well get absurdly low numbers while roughly doing the same as me, but that is representative only of your device, not of every other Air 2. If I got 7 or 8 hours doing this, I would have taken it back.
I am reporting my experience and what I have gotten from tech sites like tablet face off and phone arena. They tested these devices like crazy and got the same thing. Now I'm not disputing your experience and I apologize if I came off rude but I'm trying to warn people. I called apple and they tested my battery and said my times and battery where normal. I would love a screenshot, not that I don't believe but because I wanna compare please. Thanks. I got about 7 hours my first week and now I'm getting 9 max with 30% brightness.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
That last sentence had me rolling on the floor. The air one beat air 2 by an hour. Not to mention some tablets have 3-4 more hours.

You're delusional....

I've had both - the Air 2 battery life is at LEAST as good, if not better.

What tablets get 3-4 more hours? I get over 12 hours of use on mine and that's with probably a day + on standby - everything from streaming video, gaming, web browsing, emails, reading etc.

Name a tablet that gets better battery life.

----------

I am reporting my experience and what I have gotten from tech sites like tablet face off and phone arena. They tested these devices like crazy and got the same thing. Now I'm not disputing your experience and I apologize if I came off rude but I'm trying to warn people. I called apple and they tested my battery and said my times and battery where normal. I would love a screenshot, not that I don't believe but because I wanna compare please. Thanks. I got about 7 hours my first week and now I'm getting 9 max with 30% brightness.

Those tests are nowhere near indicative of real world usage.....take those tests with a HUGE pile of salt.

Fishels

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2015
You're delusional....

I've had both - the Air 2 battery life is at LEAST as good, if not better.

What tablets get 3-4 more hours? I get over 12 hours of use on mine and that's with probably a day + on standby - everything from streaming video, gaming, web browsing, emails, reading etc.

----------

Those tests are nowhere near indicative of real world usage.....take those tests with a HUGE pile of salt.
Why not? They used the device in the real world with plenty of tests carrying it around. I'm not delusional at all. Read the tests. Smaller battery. Every test shows air one on top and that the air 2 battery is behind. Read the complaints. Tell you what. I will screenshot my results and show you. Apple has confirmed my battery is fine. I've even done the hard reset and cleaned out the device.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Why not? They used the device in the real world with plenty of tests carrying it around. I'm not delusional at all. Read the tests. Smaller battery. Every test shows air one on top and that the air 2 battery is behind. Read the complaints. Tell you what. I will screenshot my results and show you. Apple has confirmed my battery is fine. I've even done the hard reset and cleaned out the device.

Sounds fair - would you also mind providing the names of these tablets that get so much better battery life? 3-4 additional hours seems like a lot and I'd love to find out what these tablets are.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013

iPad 4. That thing's got an insanely huge battery, though (43Wh). Apple had to beef up battery on the iPad 3 and Apple just kept the chassis and battery size the same for the 4 even though the 4 seems more power efficient. I regularly get 15-16 hours of use out of it. Sometimes even 20 hours with brightness on dimmest (which is my preferred setting for nighttime reading).

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
iPad 4. That thing's got an insanely huge battery, though (43Wh). Apple had to beef up battery on the iPad 3 and Apple just kept the chassis and battery size the same for the 4 even though the 4 seems more power efficient. I regularly get 15-16 hours of use out of it. Sometimes even 20 hours with brightness on dimmest (which is my preferred setting for nighttime reading).

I had a 4 (granted that was some time ago) and I don't remember it lasting any longer, but obviously I don't have side-by-side comparisons.

I'd guess if I kept my Air 2 on the lowest brightness I could squeeze more like out of the battery.

Once my iPad battery gets low I'll post my usage.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I had a 4 (granted that was some time ago) and I don't remember it lasting any longer, but obviously I don't have side-by-side comparisons.

I'd guess if I kept my Air 2 on the lowest brightness I could squeeze more like out of the battery.

Once my iPad battery gets low I'll post my usage.
The thing I love the most about my iPads is that I rarely have to worry about battery usage. Even with daily web browsing, email, etc, I still only need to charge my iPad every 3-5 days so it's easy not to notice how long battery life (as far as screen-on time) really is. To be honest, if it wasn't for a poll/thread somewhere, I wouldn't even realize I was getting up to 20 hours screen-on time on my iPad 4. :)

Seriously, you can leave these things on standby and pick it up after a couple of months and it'll still have charge. ;)

Fishels

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2015
Sounds fair - would you also mind providing the names of these tablets that get so much better battery life? 3-4 additional hours seems like a lot and I'd love to find out what these tablets are.

Not all of these are tablets, of course which I don't count. I'm looking for another few tests i saw and will update when I find it.
69042.png

nj-morris

macrumors 68000
Nov 30, 2014
UK
Regarding battery life, I do think Apple will improve it in the next gen, for a few reasons:
1: They have had the same advertised battery life since the original, I think it's time for an update
2: They've made it thinner than needed, there is no need to shrink the battery anymore
3: the iPad Air 2 battery has been a strong complaint
4: They don't have much else to improve
5: They are making more power efficient chips
6: People want battery life on their iPads

I think if the do improve it, it should be significant. I say a stretch goal of 18 hours

Fishels

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2015
Again, those tests dont reflect actual real world usage. I get more than 9.76 hours out of mine.

well i don't. Pics please. I will also provide a pic of mine when it runs out.

----------

Regarding battery life, I do think Apple will improve it in the next gen, for a few reasons:
1: They have had the same advertised battery life since the original, I think it's time for an update
2: They've made it thinner than needed, there is no need to shrink the battery anymore
3: the iPad Air 2 battery has been a strong complaint
4: They don't have much else to improve
5: They are making more power efficient chips
6: People want battery life on their iPads

I think if the do improve it, it should be significant. I say a stretch goal of 18 hours

love your thinking but never gonna happen lol. Everyone is obsessed with thin. Wouldn't be surprised if the life of the next one is a tiny bit smaller to be honest.

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
It mostly depends on whether you'll resell it eventually. You said that isn't likely, and you won't need 128 GB of storage (would be the same situation for me). Still: I wouldn't go under 64 GB (you won't have 16 GB after iOS and the standard apps), but if the price difference between 64 and 128 GB is only 45 bucks, I would probably go for the 128 GB device even if I didn't need it. If you plan to get the next model, there's still the resale option.

But the 128GB models are the ones with the worst resell bang-for-buck.

TechZeke

macrumors 68020
Jul 29, 2012
Dallas, TX
The 128GB is a no brainer. You are literally paying $40 for an 64GB of storage.

----------

But the 128GB models are the ones with the worst resell bang-for-buck.

But this is moot because he's literally paying $45 for 64GB of extra storage. Who cares? :p

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 15, 2005
Update -

Like the one I bought in store in January, this one has a scratch out of the box near the iPad logo on the bottom back of the iPad.

During manufacturing, something must grip the iPad in this area or something and put scratches in it. They are perfectly straight vertical lines, near the iPad logo, both times.

uiop.

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
If you won't ever use the space, don't get the 128GB. The resale value won't be benefitted as much as you'd imagine it would be by having the extra 64GB of space.

16 is near useless. 128 is the best deal here.

Not really...I don't store anything locally on the iPad other than a handful of apps. 128GB iPhone (stores all my pics and music when not streaming) + 16GB iPad. Works for me.

Mivo

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2015
Germany
Now I'm not disputing your experience and I apologize if I came off rude but I'm trying to warn people. ... I would love a screenshot, not that I don't believe but because I wanna compare please. Thanks. I got about 7 hours my first week and now I'm getting 9 max with 30% brightness.

I've attached a screenshot. It's with about 40-50% brightness, mostly using Chrome for forum browsing, online magazines, and random web stuff. The day before I also edited text in Google Docs (the app) and played a bit of Puzzle & Dragons.

Attachments

• IMG_0037.PNG
    IMG_0037.PNG
    220.1 KB · Views: 76
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.