Which AMD processor should I buy?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Rob587, Dec 1, 2009.

1. Rob587 macrumors 6502a

Rob587

Building a new budget PC....

Which processor should I go with? I am confused by the advantages/disadvantages of each.

1. AMD Phenom II X3 720 2.8GHz 3 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Black Processor

2. AMD Phenom II X2 550 Black Edition Callisto 3.1GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 80W Dual-Core

3. AMD Athlon II X3 435 2.9GHz Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Processor

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I don't know much about AMD chips but we bought a "Black" version of an AMD for our newest desktop, and by jove that thing can be overclocked. But that's the point of them. A more techie friend told me they're great for overclockers and you get a good bang for your buck with them, but if you're not looking to overclock use a different AMD chip.

3. Rob587 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Rob587

yea, I dont think im going to get into the overclocking too much. Im really either thinking the the triple core 2.9 or the dual 3.0. Just not sure which is better.

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Just knowing the speeds and cores involved... I'd go for the 2.9 triple over the 3.0 dual. There isn't much improvement in raw CPU speed there but the extra cores would make multitasking and using apps much quicker.

5. TSE macrumors 68030

I would recommend either of the Triple core chips. There are virtually little difference so I would go for whichever is cheaper if you aren't doing anything too demanding.

I actually prefer AMD desktop chips because from personal experience they are a lot better bang-for-buck than Intel, and they aren't that much less energy efficient.

6. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I found this floating around. This was made at 4chan's /g/. Excuse the sorta rude language, but the guide itself is a great help, obviously the guide does in the end tell you to do some of your own research since everyone's needs are different.

The guide:

[​IMG]

Click to enlarge. PM me for full thing.

7. Rob587 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Rob587

Im seeing that the main difference between the dual core processor and the triple core (besides core count) is that the dual and the triple core black edition have 6mb of L3 cache. Is this important? I should I save $20 and go with the regular triple core?