Which Anti-Virus to get?

JCPH

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 11, 2007
Tannhäuser Gate
Hello everyone,

I need anti-virus software so that my school's IT department will allow me onto the wireless network.

Which software do you recommend? Are the free ones actually any good? Or should I go with something like Norton Anti-Virus?

The only thing I remember about my time using a Windows PC (many, many years ago) is the annoying anti-virus window popping up 24/7! I don't want that. I want something that does everything behind the scenes and only alerts me when I actually have a virus.

Thanks!

JCPH

Cameront9

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2006
How does the school check this, anyway?

Whatever you do, DO NOT install Norton! It can seriously corrupt your machine.

tartsquid

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2006
Reston, VA
Another warning against Norton. It's what my campus required that we install on our computers when using the school network, and it messed up my PowerBook enough that I had to wipe the drive to get rid of the problems.

Blubbert

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2006
Why would your school's IT department require you to install an AV for your computer? Its impossible for your computer to get infected and spread a virus around the network anyways.
My school has a sensible approach with AV software. Its a worry of the windows users, all mac and linux and other -nix users just register their MAC address and plug in the ethernet cable.

Corrosive vinyl

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2006
I also want to say NEVER USE NORTON ANTIVIRUS! I know someone who has a corporate edition at work and every day at a specific time it almost stalls her computer running a background process.

Free antivirus software is just fine, Like most people here I don't have antivirus software, but have 2 firewalls (the router and the computer), and don't surf everywhere and anywhere.

When I was in college, we had a T1 line, it was up all the time and I don't believe that AV software was recommended.

Poeben

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2004
Norton AV is installed on most of our macs at work. I am in the process of slowly removing it from most of the computers. Just curious, how will they determine if you are running virus software?

richardson.hila

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2007
CA Anti-Virus

One antivirus we recommend at work is the CA Anti-Virus for non-windows platforms. It's cheap, does the job, protects against viruses and malware, and there's a 24/7 support team there to help you with any problems. Having said that though, it's extremely unlikely that you will ever get a virus on a mac. Although with them becoming more popular, i'm sure someone could figure out a way of getting around it. Good luck!