Which Apple displays works with 12" Mackbook Retina?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Turnpike, Oct 16, 2017.

1. Turnpike macrumors 6502

Turnpike

I know the 27" Thunderbolt display doesn't work with the 12" Macbooks, but these 12" Macbooks are what I use daily, and I'd love to find a display that's as close to my 2011 iMac as possible. There is something about even the newer LG or Dell monitors that is not as bright/clear/something as the Apple display, I can look at my non-retina iMac all day long (I do, for work) and end up preferring it over a LG 4K display that I have on another computer.

So the 27" Thunderbolt display won't work, but there is a 24" version I've noticed on Ebay that looks the same... do those work, with certain adapters? I know there is a Thunderbolt and/or cinema display, I don't know the difference and only realized there was a difference once I bought a 27" Thunderbolt display and it wouldn't work.

I'm happy to spend anything (time and/or money) on adapters or whatever to get even the smaller 24" version to work with these 12" Macbooks... or if I have to go farther back to an even older type or style, I'm open to trying that, too.

Anyone with first hand knowledge to the best choice of Apple brand monitor that will work with the 12" Macbooks, your input would be greatly appreciated. Again, any kind of adapters I'd need, I'm happy to buy those too.

Thank you!

2. EugW macrumors 603

EugW

3. robvas macrumors 68030

4. Turnpike thread starter macrumors 6502

Turnpike

THANKS EVERYBODY!!! I got the answers in time, so I 2nd day shipping ordered that adapter, after looking up just what the differences are, and my Thunderbolt Display is actually a Cinema Display. I'm THRILLED that I can use this monitor for this.... thanks so much for the quick replies and that link! JUST what I needed to know.