Bowxie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2017
Hello!
I've been trying to decide for quite a little bit on which Apple Watch to buy as I just can't decide between the more premium materials vs the huge jump in price.

Info About Me:
  • College Student
  • I workout and swim nearly everyday
  • I plan to start running (hoping the Watch gives me some "motivation")
  • Own iPhone X Space Grey
I'm not sure about the Stainless Steel model (Hermes or otherwise) as I'm not sure how nicely It would go with my iPhone X SG.. I know the SS has a wide array of bands available to it (without changing OG lugs).

Thanks for reading, If you'd like to vote: Press Here
I appreciate any feedback, have a great night/day peeps.

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
Hello!
I've been trying to decide for quite a little bit on which Apple Watch to buy as I just can't decide between the more premium materials vs the huge jump in price.

Info About Me:
  • College Student
  • I workout and swim nearly everyday
  • I plan to start running (hoping the Watch gives me some "motivation")
  • Own iPhone X Space Grey
I'm not sure about the Stainless Steel model (Hermes or otherwise) as I'm not sure how nicely It would go with my iPhone X SG.. I know the SS has a wide array of bands available to it (without changing OG lugs).

Thanks for reading, If you'd like to vote: Press Here
I appreciate any feedback, have a great night/day peeps.

I would suggest the Series 3 Stainless if it's in your price range. The regular stainless model would pair well with almost any band and you have the Sapphire dislay for added protection.

But if you're using the Apple Watch a lot for fitness, you might appreciate the Space Gray aluminum model, as it's lightweight and highly durable, especially for swimming and running.

orev

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2015
A college student should be getting the cheapest one (Sport). There's is no reason AT ALL to spend extra money on the stainless. You might even consider not getting an Apple Watch at all. It's really a luxury item and you can probably use $300 in much more productive ways at this point in your life.

This is a critical time in your life. Don't develop habits of buying things and possibly putting yourself in debt just for shiny objects and status symbols. Your future self will greatly appreciate the financially responsible habits you learn now. Don't ever use a credit card unless you already have the money to pay off the balance IN FULL every month.

Pseudo-Fed

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2017
Unlike some, I won't judge your spending choices since I don't know your situation or finances, or considering this could be a gift to you. Assuming the cost difference is not a consideration, I also recommend the silver or black stainless. I have a S2SS and a S3SBSS. Love them both. The silver one already has a million micro scratches, but screen is flawless. the space black stainless is still pristine after only a couple months, but a couple "oh crap" moments. I'm shocked at the durability of the finish. The silver model pairs with almost any band.

I will however say I don't get the "matching the phone" thing. You should absolutely have a case on that phone, which makes them all look the same.

I don't find the SS models heavy for running or weights, since you need to snug it up anyway if using HR sensor. The sapphire is critical. The AW weighs nothing compared to my Garmin Fenix series watches, which I also run in and DO have to snug down well to avoid annoying movement during activities.

Good luck with your first world problem!

Nell

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2012
London
I’d suggest an aluminium watch. Whatever your financial situation, I’d guess there are plenty of other things you could spend your money on and the stainless steel, though lovely, is a bit corporate looking. Stay casual!

Starship67

Suspended
Oct 28, 2017
LA
I would simply go for the SS version over the Hermes too much premium for not much different.
Pay no attention to others telling you how to better spend your money I nor they know your financials. So get the one you like.

AttilaTheHun

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
USA
I would suggest the Series 3 Stainless if it's in your price range. The regular stainless model would pair well with almost any band and you have the Sapphire dislay for added protection.

But if you're using the Apple Watch a lot for fitness, you might appreciate the Space Gray aluminum model, as it's lightweight and highly durable, especially for swimming and running.

SS is the way to go the Aluminum is a soft metal and will not last tuff use.

Bowxie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2017
A college student should be getting the cheapest one (Sport). There's is no reason AT ALL to spend extra money on the stainless. You might even consider not getting an Apple Watch at all. It's really a luxury item and you can probably use $300 in much more productive ways at this point in your life.

This is a critical time in your life. Don't develop habits of buying things and possibly putting yourself in debt just for shiny objects and status symbols. Your future self will greatly appreciate the financially responsible habits you learn now. Don't ever use a credit card unless you already have the money to pay off the balance IN FULL every month.
I don't plan to buy anything I can't afford, don't worry. I sparingly use my money and hence the long time deciding. I do feel it will help me though (AW) get into better shape (not too bad, but better)
[doublepost=1512165833][/doublepost]
Unlike some, I won't judge your spending choices since I don't know your situation or finances, or considering this could be a gift to you. Assuming the cost difference is not a consideration, I also recommend the silver or black stainless. I have a S2SS and a S3SBSS. Love them both. The silver one already has a million micro scratches, but screen is flawless. the space black stainless is still pristine after only a couple months, but a couple "oh crap" moments. I'm shocked at the durability of the finish. The silver model pairs with almost any band.

I will however say I don't get the "matching the phone" thing. You should absolutely have a case on that phone, which makes them all look the same.

I don't find the SS models heavy for running or weights, since you need to snug it up anyway if using HR sensor. The sapphire is critical. The AW weighs nothing compared to my Garmin Fenix series watches, which I also run in and DO have to snug down well to avoid annoying movement during activities.

Sorry for the stupid question :/ I know that I shouldn't be having issues over something so trivial... when people are slaving away to make payments..

It wouldn't be a gift to me, but I do have a decent amount saved up and feel like a "treat" for myself as well as to help push me further.

Bowxie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2017
Matching the Apple Watch to your iPhone is a thing? Who knew! I say get which ever one that makes you the happiest.

People match shoes to shirt, etc. I don't think it's odd to "match", but perhaps I'm odd.

andresandiego

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2015
San Diego, Ca
People match shoes to shirt, etc. I don't think it's odd to "match", but perhaps I'm odd.

Well I never said it was odd, I just didn't know it was a thing. I understand matching shoes, shirt, pants, etc, those are things you can see. Your phone is using in your pocket or purse so just didn't get the matching it with the watch. But hey it's your money and your decision. Do what brings your joy.

Nell

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2012
London

My first Watch was aluminium and it survived daily use for 2.5 years unscathed; it’s been bashed about a fair bit with no ill effects. In my experience, the aluminium watch lasts just fine.

Ultimately it’s all about personal choice but I’m glad I started with an aluminium watch; it got me used to wearing a watch again and, although I chose stainless steel this time round to have a change, I really like the more casual look of the aluminium watch watch.

Reactions: The-Real-Deal82

Bowxie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2017
I just noticed the Apple Store has the Series 2 SBSS Refurb. I wonder if thats worth it over a S3 SBSS/Nike+.

Thoughts?

DoubleFlyaway

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2017
My first Watch was aluminium and it survived daily use for 2.5 years unscathed; it’s been bashed about a fair bit with no ill effects. In my experience, the aluminium watch lasts just fine.

Ultimately it’s all about personal choice but I’m glad I started with an aluminium watch; it got me used to wearing a watch again and, although I chose stainless steel this time round to have a change, I really like the more casual look of the aluminium watch watch.

I know, I seriously don’t get why everyone thinks the aluminum is so fragile. I’m clumsy as hell, and I never left a single mark on my series 1. It looks perfect. It didn’t even occur to me to get anything other than the Sport for the Series 3 (I had rose gold this time and wanted the almost-rose gold this time.)

orev

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2015
I have a Series 0 received on first day and it is still in perfect condition. Of course it depends on what you do with it. I'm mostly use it as a watch in an office job. If you're rock climbing you might want something sturdier, or you might not want to have something so expensive that can be damaged.

Mikeeee

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2017
For aluminium
Which one is easy to pair with straps?

Silver or space grey?

I have the S3 Nike + space grey and have paired it with a back milanese, black leather and a Product Red sports band. All of thee look great. Many bands will pair very well but bands that are only available with silver lugs I avoid. This does take away a few styles.

Given this, I'd say the silver aluminum pairs with more bands.

DoubleFlyaway

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2017
For aluminium

Silver or space grey?

Any of them. :) Some bands, like the sport ones, don't show any metal next to the watch. For other types, but from vendors that match the attaching hardware.

traveltoromantis

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2017
I've had both the stainless and the aluminum models, and I definitely prefer the aluminum by far. The stainless is heavy - not to the point of annoyance, but heavy enough that you can feel it on your wrist during a cardio workout and it can take you out of the workout mindset. The aluminum, on the other hand, is so lightweight that it's easy to forget it's there. Much more comfortable, especially with the Nike band. I would recommend a Series 3 unless you're able to get $70 or more of a price difference for a Series 2.

JagSmith

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2017

So, the SS Silver shows more scratches than the Black SS? I've been debating trading in my silver aluminum for a stainless steel, but I certainly don't want to deal with scratches. That would drive me crazy. Lol. I'm too much of a perfectionist. Ugh!

Bowxie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2017
I've had both the stainless and the aluminum models, and I definitely prefer the aluminum by far. The stainless is heavy - not to the point of annoyance, but heavy enough that you can feel it on your wrist during a cardio workout and it can take you out of the workout mindset. The aluminum, on the other hand, is so lightweight that it's easy to forget it's there. Much more comfortable, especially with the Nike band. I would recommend a Series 3 unless you're able to get $70 or more of a price difference for a Series 2.
Nike Sport Band or Sport Loop you think is better?

traveltoromantis

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2017
Nike Sport Band or Sport Loop you think is better?

I've worn both, but I've only run with the band. I'd imagine the loop is better for running because it felt the most lightweight out of any band I've ever tried and very comfortable. I only tried the loop for a couple days and don't actually own it, however.

orev

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2015
For aluminium

Silver or space grey?

Normally for a watch I'd say silver, but since the AW always has a black screen on top, I think it looks better with the gray case so it all blends together better. Otherwise with silver you have silver and black which don't make such a uniform look.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.