Which browser do you use on your iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by petvas, Jan 8, 2011.

?

On my iPad I am using:

1. Mobile Safari

78 vote(s)
    57.8%
  2. iCab Mobile

24 vote(s)
    17.8%
  3. Atomic Web Browser

28 vote(s)
    20.7%
  4. Other

5 vote(s)
    3.7%
  1. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

I was wondering, do you use the default mobile Safari or are you using one of the alternatives? Please post also your reason for your choice.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I use iCab
    I just like the look and feel of it and it works great
    I hide the menu bar and everything

3. 0815 macrumors 68000

Mobile Safari does everything I need - don't see the need to use anything else.

One problem with alternative browsers is that you can't change the default browser and click a link would open it in the 'wrong' browser - anyway I don't see the need for another browser.

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Doesn't bother me that iCab isn't the default at all
    And I will use Safari too
    But when I choose to open one, it is iCab

5. petvas thread starter macrumors 601

petvas

I have both Atomic and iCab but while I like their features, I find the performance of Mobile Safari to be better. Sometimes I experience lag in all alternative browsers. I would love to have Ad block in Safari. I don't care about downloading files. If iCab was more snappier, I would use it more.

6. temetrepo macrumors member

temetrepo

I use Safari, but recently bought Skyfire and am liking it. Used to use it a few years back on WinMo and liked it back then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. petvas thread starter macrumors 601

petvas

I agree but this is more of a limitation imposed by Apple. I would love to see in iOS 5 more choices and freedom. Extension support for Safari, Ad block and other serious browsers like Chrome and Firefox.
    Apple currently forbids the use of other browsing engines, which I find it to be a shame.

8. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

I use and love Atomic Web Browser. If Safari had Tabs and an Ad Blocker, then I'd consider using it..

9. doug in albq Suspended

doug in albq

I use safari, atomic, icab and terra

But use Atomic the most, by far.

10. Dragoro macrumors 6502

Dragoro

Almost totally atomic. Only use safari when forced to when necessitated by a link.

11. petvas thread starter macrumors 601

petvas

That is the problem with all alternative browsers. It is really something that Apple will have to allow. We should be able to change the default browser.

12. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Indeed, this part is a pain.

As it's just a small thing to do I was really hoping this would be added in the 4.2 upgrade when it came out about 6 weeks ago.

Now I'm hoping it will be in the iPad2 and/or the next upgrade.

they know full well many many thousands, tens of thousands of people are irritated by this, so the only reason not to allow us to change the default browser is going to be just to be deliberately difficult for the sake of is as a king of little punishment for not using their official browser.

So I have high hopes this will be changed soon.

I

13. petvas thread starter macrumors 601

petvas

It isn't a punishment. Apple is just afraid that by changing the default browser, there could be problems in the user experience. They just want to control the user experience and guarantee a certain level of functionality. Having said that, I would like to have the option to change the default browser.

14. HXGuy macrumors 68000

Atomic because of the desktop style tabs and full screen feature. I love being able to go to a site and while it's loading, change tabs and browse something else. It also does not reload the tabs like Safari does.

15. adnoh macrumors 6502a

adnoh

16. seajay96 macrumors 6502

Safari because it does everything I need very smoothly and I actively sync my bookmarks through MobileMe.

17. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

I use Safari because thus far it has filled my needs and I hadn't thought of installing another browser for comparison. Also, I love that MobileMe will update my bookmarks and passwords across all my Safari devices at one time.

18. Riskke macrumors newbie

I am using safari , actually I love the atomic browser but crashing a lot cause pain in the a** , also alternate browser experience is not as good as stock. Wait till they fix the crashing problem on atomic :mad:

19. HXGuy macrumors 68000

What crashing problem? Mine literally never crashes.

20. Wozza2010, Jan 9, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2011

Wozza2010 macrumors member

ICab
    Rock solid
    I need tabbed browsing
    Gestures :)

21. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

I mostly use Safari (70%), but I also use Atomic.

Have not had any crashing problems, but I also don't try to open 20 tabs at once either. The iPad is a Tablet, not a six core desktop with 32 gigs of ram.

22. err404, Jan 10, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2011

err404 macrumors 68020

I prefer iCab over Safari for three reasons:

1. Safari does a poor job of keeping multiple pages in memory, so content frequently needs to reload when I switch to a "tab". In iCab all pages are concurrently in memory so I can quickly switch between them (unfortunately due to this, iCab can crash if a large number of tabs are open).

2. iCab offers the option to load pages in background tabs. This allows me to open new links and have the content load in the background while I continue to read the main page. Safari only allows you to open a page in a new foreground "tab" and switching back to the parent tab frequently results in the issue from point 1.

3. This is where iCab also beats Atomic; Download Manager/Cross app integration. Being able to download files and videos and manage them with other apps on my iPad brings a more 'desktop like' experience to the iPad. This consequently makes many of the other tools on my iPad more useful. (GoodReader, DropBox, Pages, VLC, AirSharing, Cloudreader, Evernote, DocsToGo, iBooks...)

In the end, iCab allows me to spend more time looking at content instead of waiting for pages to load. Combined with all of other little things, iCab is the most used app on my iPad.
    I have been using iCab since I got my iPad. I have many other alternate browsers (Atomic, Perfect browser etc) and while some have very good tab implementations, nothing else compares to the download manager, plug-ins and cross application integration.

23. Jkazmeyer macrumors regular

I use icab exclusively. My iPad is jail broken, so I use browser changer to make it the default browser, and have hidden safari, so you can only find it with searchlight. Other then the occasional crash, icab does everything I want. The tabs function well, I like being able to download files, and frequently spoof other browsers to make sites work. Browser changer makes every link open in it, and works like a charm.

24. Zcott macrumors 68020

Safari. Ease of use and interface does it for me.

25. err404 macrumors 68020

While I like the idea of setting a default browser, I can understand Apples reluctance to implement it. While all iOS browsers are based on the same rendering engine, they do differ in some areas (filtering options and how pop-ups are handled). Many apps rely on Safari for certain functionality. For example the Kindle app uses Safari as its purchasing portal. If this portal was to opened in a browser other then Safari, it could have unforeseen consequences.
    Most users on this forum would know what to do if there were a conflict, but many people would not. For better or worse, Apple is taking a conservative approach and opening all links in a predictable browser.

I'm happy enough with a Bookmarklet that sends the current page in Safari to iCab.