Which browser?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Blue-ThirtyTwo, Jul 24, 2008.

1. Blue-ThirtyTwo macrumors newbie

OK I'm a PC convert who uses Firefox on my desktop PC. After looking through some searches I learned about Camino. So I'm wondering how Safari, Firefox, and Camino all compare. For the PC, Firefox is hands down better/safer than IE. But how do the three mentioned above compare and rank among themselves for use on the MBA?

2. glitch44 macrumors 65816

I prefer Firefox because of extensions. Supposedly Safari renders pages faster.

Just so you know, you're posting in the dedicated Macbook Air sub-forum.

The Mac Basics and Help sub-forum is probably a better fit for questions like this.

3. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

I use Firefox, I tried Camino after hearing it described as the firefox optimized for the mac. I nevertheless much prefer firefox, and didn't notice a real difference using Camino. As for Safari, it does load webpages a bit faster, though I'm too in love with certain Firefox add-ons. I'd recommend Firefox, though Safari's a great browser too. Can't say I'm much for Camino.

And yes, IE still sucks.

4. Samarium macrumors 6502a

Samarium

Firefox with Ad Block Plus is 10x faster than Safari.

5. oacory macrumors regular

Firefox yet use safari most

Well I really do prefer firefox after trying it out for the mac and it is great to use one browser for both PC and mac uses. I have never used camino sadly but most of the time I find myself using safari only because it is what I started my mac experience on and has become second nature since they are both still in my dock and also I have not transfered my book marks yet.

6. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

try them all for yourself.

safari is good at system integration
    firefox is good at out of box functionality and addons
    camino is in the middle
    Opera is good at out of box functionality

on OSX, ~75% people use safari, I would think its the natural result of pre-intallation.

There are literally numerous post regarding firefox v. safari, do a search and you can find a lot.

Eventually, try them all for yourself.

7. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

There, corrected that for you :D

8. Savagestorm macrumors member

I actually use both Safari and Firefox. I think Firefox looks messy, and it is slower than Safari, but the plug-ins are still very useful. I tend to actually use both at the same time, even when in pure laptop mode. When my external is connected to the laptop firefox goes on the external. Perfect set-up for me, not for many others but for me it just works.

9. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

well i just go for Safari as it was already installed on my Mac, is very fast for me and integrates with OS X.

like Safari, Camino is based on the WebKit platform and Firefox is based on the Gecko platform.

if your used to Firefox and cant live without extensions id suggest you use Firefox.

but for some reason i have something against users who just download Firefox just like they would in Windows. Safari is a perfectly good browser but if, like i said, you need to use your extensions or browse in Firefox for somes sites then do that.

10. Sorkvild macrumors 6502

^^ both camino and firefox use the Gecko layout engine.

11. Olvenskol macrumors member

I also use both Firefox and Safari. One site I use doesn't support Safari quite right (Rally, if you must know, which implements Scrum tools for managing software development). But for everything else I prefer Safari's slightly cleaner look and standard features (I've not explored the wealth of Firefox add-ons).

12. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

I also use Firefox and Safari. I switch between the two regularly for no apparent reason. My default is set for Safari.

13. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

sorry! :eek: i was thinking of Shiira

14. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

well, OP can try out for him/herself. :)

15. e.m. macrumors 6502

I wish Shiira was still in development.

I use Safari since it syncs bookmarks with my iPhone nicely.

16. EspressoLove macrumors 6502

EspressoLove

Yeah, that's the ultimate TRUTH!
    coz safari might be faster rendering all this ads crap .... but with "slower" FF3 & AdBlock+, you are way faster .... in the real world, that is, not some test pages.

True you have some knock offs, usable on Safari ...
    But factor in huge amount of extensions (and no, you don't need them all, point is, variety let's you compile your own mix, 5-10-15 extensions, that change your life so much) that you never look back :D

17. EspressoLove macrumors 6502

EspressoLove

True also, I'm really jealous, bugging FF developers all the time, to add features like :
    - "drag tab out to create new window" (FF3 has it now, yet not that polished),
    - "hide repeating words/site host IDs on tab titles" (fantastic safari's exclusive!),
    - ⌃⌘D - brilliant also (achievable when FF3 will be truly cocoa, not just widgets)

Though even with all this features added, I'll probably will continue to use Safari as auxiliary browser, complimenting my work flow.

18. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

To me, Firefox and Safari are the best.

On a daily basis I use Safari (3 instances of it). Occasionally I use Firefox.

19. CJRhoades macrumors 6502

I've used Firefox 2, Firefox 3, Camino, Safari 3, Flock, and Opera 9.5. All of them were good for doing regular things but I like Opera the best. It easily has the most features and it has themes like Firefox does. It is probably also the most customiziable and has cool features like mouse gestures (not that you'll need them with the air) and history that remembers what's on each page you visit.

20. kuni45 macrumors newbie

kuni45

3 browsers for 3 different circumstances

I find it best, especially on the mac, to have more then one browser.
    For example, right now I am using Safari for this site. I also use it if i need quick http downloads.
    I use Camino because it is nice and fast with a cocoa gui. I utilize it mostly for light browsing (reading stuff, watching youtube).
    As for firefox, i use it whenever i need a specialized plugin (ripping flv, ect...)
    Out of these, I probably use Camino the most, Safari second and firefox third.

21. m1stake macrumors 68000

I prefer FF3. I use IE7 (Sucks), FF3, and Safari 3. My preference goes to FF just because I've always used it.

22. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

Mods have been alerted to perhaps move this thread to another forum.

As for the question, I prefer Safari. It's the fastest and most stable, imo. It also has the cleanest interface. It's all choice here...

23. Blue-ThirtyTwo thread starter macrumors newbie

From a security standpoint...

how do these compare with regards to pop-ups, malware, and internet security in general. I know most bad things out there are aimed at PC's, but every little bit helps.

Thanks for all the replies, they have certainly helped. And, sorry if this was in the wrong place, I just got the Air and I'm somewhat focused on this sub-thread.

Thanks again.

24. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

(Nice Avatar!!!)

I use Safari 4.0, and find Firefox to be slower booting up, shutting down and going page-to-page...

25. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

If security is your concern then Firefox 3 is your browser. They seem to be quickest at patching vulnerabilities and the like.

For pop-ups, web banners & other advertisements,

Adblock=Firefox
    Safariblock=Safari

Both do the same thing.