Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheAnswer

macrumors 68030
Jan 25, 2002
Orange County, CA
Personally, I'd check into buying a cheaper and fuel efficient car so you can spend more money on Apple products. Making high car payments and insurance payments every month is no fun, especially when you start thinking how much Apple gear you could buy with all that money.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
Ford GT - Pointless car that doesn't work

How is the GT pointless and doesn't work?

Ah right, a defender of ego driven consumers who merely buy automobiles as a status symbol (the same ones who are polluting our planet).

None of which will ever be as extraordinary or revolutionary as the cars before them.

Sorry that we love driving. We car enthusiasts who love cars apologize for polluting the Earth while we enjoy the driving experience of a Corvette or an Aston Martin. Sorry that we offend people who hate driving and buy appliances like the Camry.

Seriously, why do you care if I buy a Corvette or an Aston Martin? I love driving. I like the driving experience the Corvette and Aston's give you. The rare Aston, Lambo, Ferrari, etc won't kill the Earth. It is the dozens and dozens of SUV's that get 13 MPG that is doing it. Plus, other things that use fossil fuels.

Nauthez

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2007
Instead of going for those overpriced cars, go for this one:

2007_volkswagen_rabbit.jpg

The finest in German engineering! VW Rabbit

Mac07

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2007
Instead of going for those overpriced cars, go for this one:

2007_volkswagen_rabbit.jpg

The finest in German engineering! VW Rabbit

IMHO :p That's an oxymoron :) German engineering, made in Mexico! I would never wish a VW on anyone. Working for enterprise rent-a-car the vw dealership kept us busy everyday.

CEAbiscuit

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2006
The Kitchen
I've own a porsche 911, 2 audis, 2 benz's, and a tricked out (for 1996) honda prelude.

The most satifaction I have gotten from driving is having 2 cars that are paid off.

The second most satisfaction... renting a ferrari for a day a lotus for a day and realizing my back would kill me if I drove it every day, and how glad I was I didn't pony up the cash to own one.

nateDEEZY

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2007
San Francisco, CA
How is the GT pointless and doesn't work?

Sorry that we love driving. We car enthusiasts who love cars apologize for polluting the Earth while we enjoy the driving experience of a Corvette or an Aston Martin. Sorry that we offend people who hate driving and buy appliances like the Camry.

Seriously, why do you care if I buy a Corvette or an Aston Martin? I love driving. I like the driving experience the Corvette and Aston's give you.

I'm sure you don't even know what enthusiast means. You sound like a confused hobbyist. But there is a time and place to be a hobbyist, for example not taking a car like the corvette or the aston martin and turning into a weekend/daily commuting/grocery getter. The driving experience doesn't exist between home and work, between the grocery store or what errands you run.

I love driving, even while driving to work I practice something Jackie Stewart or was it Stirling Moss said a long time ago "Try to drive so smoothly that a passenger can't feel the transistions." (I thought I was the only one who tried to do that on a daily basis) And a quote from something I read a while back " When you can drift Grandma through the esses without making her looking up from her crossword puzzle, then you can talk about smooth"

What most of you classify as the driving experience, isn't smashing your gas to the pedel after a stop light.

My apologies I don't find it necessary to take "the driving experience" into day to day living just to pollute the earth. I'll keep my Honda Civic for day to day driving.

I find it more enjoyable when a group of me and my buddies take a day trip into the mountains of Northern California, with the sole reason to enjoy the experience. As well as places like Laguna Seca, Infineon Raceway or even a freakin' Auto X Parkling lot on the weekends where the driving experience is well suited.

Excuse me, that I don't love the driving experience as much as you do.

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
There are lots of challenges to be found in driving.

One is smooth driving. Yep, if you own a pretty fast manual car, then trying to drive very smoothly through a city is a challenge, and a nice one too.

But it is the added adrenaline of going fast. Also the knowlegde you can't drive fast all the time, making it more of a treat. Trying to drive smoothly is nice, but it is something you can do all the time.

If I am traveling only through Holland on our motorway (with the 120 Km/h limit), I also enjoy trying to set a new record for making the most kilometres before having to stop for fuel. But, again, that is not very thrilling or exciting. But it is a fun challenge.

Like I said, racing down the Deutsche Autobahn on the derestricted areas is so much fun. Not much thinking time when your doing >200 Km/h. But those excellent roads over at our eastern neighbours are up for it, the car is up to it (i.e. handling, good breaks etc.) and so should the driver.

But I also love just cruising along some mountainous road in the sun. Feeling the car's handling and performance on those twisty roads. Brilliant.

In short there is much fun in driving.
And if you want all the fun, you want a superb-performing car that makes you feel good.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
ErikCLDR just upset me with that post.

For what? Stating what we're all thinking, and stating what is the truth?

I understand that you're young and naive and have no grip on reality whatsoever, but if someone on the internet that you've never met and never will meet insults your post (if you can even call it an insult) that it upsets you so much, then you won't be able to get far enough in life to purchase any of those cars.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
I just really want a sports car and also want people jaws to drop when they see me in the car:eek: (My decision: Jaguar XJ-220 ).

It's nice to have dreams. :) Just remember that you'll be a very different person in the next several years. Who knows? You may never own a car. I used to love cars, but now, I see them merely as money pits. It'll be a very long time before I own one again, and if I do, it'll mainly sit in the garage and get rubbed with a diaper. :) But alas, living in the city is not conducive (if not impossible) to owning a car. My advice to you- wait til you see what career suits you before you worry about a car.

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
You probably own a large guitar...?

Come on. Cars are fun. Probably most men enjoy driving fast.
If I had the cash I would get a DB 9.... Simply the most beautiful car in the world, and boy it must be so much fun racing down the Deutsche Autobahn, or taking it for a spin in the Alps.

But if I had to choose just one car to own.... must be practical and fast: M5.

I don't own any musical instruments. I am tone deaf.

Cars are transportation and nothing more. I long for the day when the rest of the world grows up and realizes this.

nateDEEZY

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2007
San Francisco, CA
I just really want a sports car and also want people jaws to drop when they see me in the car:eek: (My decision: Jaguar XJ-220 ).

Lol, and what I said early still remains true.. "...ego driven consumers who merely buy automobiles as a status symbol (the same ones who are polluting our planet)."

iKwick7

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2004
The Wood of Spots, NJ
It's nice to have dreams. :) Just remember that you'll be a very different person in the next several years. Who knows? You may never own a car. I used to love cars, but now, I see them merely as money pits. It'll be a very long time before I own one again, and if I do, it'll mainly sit in the garage and get rubbed with a diaper. :) But alas, living in the city is not conducive (if not impossible) to owning a car. My advice to you- wait til you see what career suits you before you worry about a car.

Well said. I also like the "someday" in the OP's posts.

Me, personally- I wouldn't want any of them. I HATE the idea of buying something to make other people think you are cool. Ugggh. If money was no object, in all seriousness, I would still have my Prius. I LOVE that car. So much fun to drive. I also would buy a Mini Cooper. I hear they are working on a hybrid Mini. Hmmmm......

Oh, and this needed to be quoted:

People jaws? Run away!!!

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
This is like the whats your favorite color threads,:rolleyes: I like the Toyota Yaris, that would be MY PICK! Neat looking, fuel efficient,well made and doesnt cost a arm & leg and your next born plus can go way faster then the highest posted speed limit.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
I'm sure you don't even know what enthusiast means. You sound like a confused hobbyist. But there is a time and place to be a hobbyist, for example not taking a car like the corvette or the aston martin and turning into a weekend/daily commuting/grocery getter. The driving experience doesn't exist between home and work, between the grocery store or what errands you run.

I love driving, even while driving to work I practice something Jackie Stewart or was it Stirling Moss said a long time ago "Try to drive so smoothly that a passenger can't feel the transistions." (I thought I was the only one who tried to do that on a daily basis) And a quote from something I read a while back " When you can drift Grandma through the esses without making her looking up from her crossword puzzle, then you can talk about smooth"

What most of you classify as the driving experience, isn't smashing your gas to the pedel after a stop light.

My apologies I don't find it necessary to take "the driving experience" into day to day living just to pollute the earth. I'll keep my Honda Civic for day to day driving.

I find it more enjoyable when a group of me and my buddies take a day trip into the mountains of Northern California, with the sole reason to enjoy the experience. As well as places like Laguna Seca, Infineon Raceway or even a freakin' Auto X Parkling lot on the weekends where the driving experience is well suited.

Excuse me, that I don't love the driving experience as much as you do.

Sounds like you have confused site seeing with driving experience. Going around mountain roads enjoying the view while driving, isn't driving experience. Driving experience is performance, handling, how the car drives, etc. Pretty much you have FUN driving the vehicle. You don't give a damn about the scenery. It is just you and your car. I mean hey, if a Honda Civic gives you that, good for you. But, it won't for me. I love the feel of getting pushed into my seat when I push my dads BMW hard. I can't wait to experience what it will feel like having 400+ HP going to the rear wheels. Most of the time I do drive to increase my fuel economy. But, I do occasionally push my car just to get that thrill. As I said, the rare Lambo, Ferrari, Aston, etc won't kill the Earth. It is the dozens and dozens of SUV's and trucks on the road that is doing most of the damage and other things that use fossil fuels. I am all for moving forward and getting hydrogen or whatever is going to be the clean fuel of the future out there ASAP. I support Gore's message about global warming.

nateDEEZY

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2007
San Francisco, CA
Well said. I also like the "someday" in the OP's posts.

Me, personally- I wouldn't want any of them. I HATE the idea of buying something to make other people think you are cool. Ugggh. If money was no object, in all seriousness, I would still have my Prius. I LOVE that car. So much fun to drive. I also would buy a Mini Cooper. I hear they are working on a hybrid Mini. Hmmmm......

Oh, and this needed to be quoted:

People jaws? Run away!!!

If BMW made and AWD Mini Cooper, oh I would sooo be in love, but for now they'll remain up there on my list of favorite cars. :D

nateDEEZY

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2007
San Francisco, CA
Sounds like you have confused site seeing with driving experience. Going around mountain roads enjoying the view while driving, isn't driving experience. Driving experience is performance, handling, how the car drives, etc. Pretty much you have FUN driving the vehicle. You don't give a damn about the scenery. It is just you and your car. I mean hey, if a Honda Civic gives you that, good for you. But, it won't for me. I love the feel of getting pushed into my seat when I push my dads BMW hard. I can't wait to experience what it will feel like having 400+ HP going to the rear wheels. Most of the time I do drive to increase my fuel economy. But, I do occasionally push my car just to get that thrill. As I said, the rare Lambo, Ferrari, Aston, etc won't kill the Earth. It is the dozens and dozens of SUV's and trucks on the road that is doing most of the damage and other things that use fossil fuels. I am all for moving forward and getting hydrogen or whatever is going to be the clean fuel of the future out there ASAP. I support Gore's message about global warming.

Lol, there you ago again with your assumptions. Who says I go drive the mountain roads for site seeing? The good mountain roads are about performance, handling and how YOU drive the car not how the car drives you. Any chump with a deep pocket can buy a car that throws him into his seat while going in a STRAIGHT LINE. Talk about passion and driving experience when you drive 2+ hours to have a chance to drive on a mountain road that you heard through word of mouth that is secluded and safe from passer-bys.

But if straight lines do it for you, more power to you and your cheap thrills.

Lol, driving experience? Still getting excited about flooring the gas pedal in your dads BMW.

Heal toeing with your right foot while engaging the clutch with your left foot shifting gears with your right hand prior to entering the apex of a turn all the while trying to find the best line to follow. That’s what the mountains are all about.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
Lol, there you ago again with your assumptions. Who says I go drive the mountain roads for site seeing? The good mountain roads are about performance, handling and how YOU drive the car not how the car drives you. Any chump with a deep pocket can buy a car that throws him into his seat while going in a STRAIGHT LINE. Talk about passion and driving experience when you drive 2+ hours to have a chance to drive on a mountain road that you heard through word of mouth that is secluded and safe from passer-bys.

But if straight lines do it for you, more power to you and your cheap thrills.

Lol, driving experience? Still getting excited about flooring the gas pedal in your dads BMW.

Heal toeing with your right foot while engaging the clutch with your left foot shifting gears with your right hand prior to entering the apex of a turn all the while trying to find the best line to follow. That’s what the mountains are all about.

My bad I misread that part of the post. You are also making an assumption that all I care about is going in a straight line. Flooring it is half the fun of driving the car. The other part is pushing it through the curves. Which an Aston Martin, BMW( especially BMW since they're tested on the Nurburgring track), Corvette Z06( also tested on Nurburgring), etc which all will out handle a Civic on the curves.

iBenzin

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2007
Dodge Viper GTS-R
Ford GT
Jaguar XJ-220
Aston Martin Project Vantage
TVR Speed 12
Nissan R390 GT-1
Lotus GT1
Toyota GT-One

I am going to buy one of these cars someday and which one should I get. I am going to be using it as my main driving car.

Better start saving up for them.

GroundLoop

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2003
I will be a very happy man when I pick up my Toyota Camry Hybrid in two weeks. Actually getting it for below dealer invoice. That along with the $1,300 tax credit makes for a very good deal.

Hickman

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.