Which car should i get?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by silbeej, Oct 19, 2008.

?

Which car should i get?

1. Outback 2.5i SE

13 vote(s)
    24.5%
  2. Legacy 2.5i SE

17 vote(s)
    32.1%
  3. Other (Please provide car in response)

23 vote(s)
    43.4%
  1. silbeej macrumors 6502a

So i'm going to be 21 within 6 months, and need to get a car for the upcoming summer. I will be using this for transportation to my internship, going on trips with my friends and various other things. I want to spend around the 20k barrier, and so far have come up with a 2009 Subaru Legacy 2.5i SE or the Outback 2.5i SE. Now the Outback is 2k more, but has storage space and roof rack bars. The legacy is more of a sporty guys car, where the Outback is more of a granny move stuff around car. My question is which one should i get? They both, or any car i get for that matter, must be a manual gearshift. I'm kind of looking for sport, but i'm a very conservative person, and need to keep insurance down. If you don't think i should get either, please provide a different car and why you think so.

Also, all wheel drive would be a plus for i plan on doing a few winter trips, but not necessary.

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I'd look at the base Mercury Mariner if you want something that will have low insurance, high MPG, and come in a SUV type vehicle.

The base Milan for a sedan to get the same MPG and insurance benefit in a sedan with the manual.

You can snag a VIN number of the Mercury and compare it to the Legacy/Outback at your local insurance company.

Might be an old fart nameplate, but with some of the models that really helps with the insurance ... dropped to about 1/2 of the insurance rate for more coverage when we went from a similar Ford to the same vehicle in the Mercury version.

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

im in the same boat but im leaning to get the 09 wrx

keep in mind all wheel drive is NOT the same as 4 wheel drive

4 wheel drive is what you want for winter months, not all wheel drive

4. naftalim macrumors 6502

Take a look at the 09 Honda Fit. I have one. Roomy, zippy, great on gas, great resale value, Honda Reliability. I have the Sport Version.

5. Bargsbeer macrumors member

Bargsbeer

The Subaru is the way togo I had one those things last forever.I would stay away from anything American.

6. silbeej thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well i've had a 99 Forester, and an 08 Outback, so i know how they are. Now it's time for me to get one myself, and i like the idea of having an outback, but they are just a bit too "old person" for me. But i've got a while, and i know how the subarus are, so i just need to decide/weigh my options.

7. bassproguy07 macrumors 6502a

bassproguy07

if you want a subie get a WRX ot WRX STi you wont be dissapointed, trust me!!!

8. da2005pizimp macrumors 6502

x2 i love the WRX's wish i owned one myself.

9. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

Of the two options you listed, I went with the Legacy. I thought I'd pick one rather than just choose 'other' and throw out another car to populate an already lengthy list of suggestions.

If I had to pick another one, though, I'd go with the a Nissan Altima. Zippy, roomy, good on gas, Japanese manufacture, good resale value, etc etc. [​IMG]

10. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

There's nothing wrong with AWD in the winter.
    Tell me where you can get a new STi for $20k and I'll give you a kidney. :p

11. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

Other:

A Jeep Wrangler, 2006 or older. Easy to maintain, and hold their value.

12. silbeej thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hate to break it to you, but it will absolutely not be a jeep. :D

They have a tendency to tip over, 4L straight 6 isn't great on gas, and not so good a ride.

13. yrsonicdeath macrumors 6502

Mine just rolled over 174,000 the other day. :D

I have an outback and I'm just about your age, 22 here. I don't see it as an old person car. Granted, I do have a 1997, but it has helped me out countless times. I moved myself out of the dorms two years without having to have my parents come pick me up, and it has also helped in moving into my apartment now. I am also looking to get a new car and it will most likely be a subaru, however I'm holding out to see if next year there will be something a little more fuel efficient as I can get the same mileage the new ones get in my 10+ year old outback (it does have a manual transmission though).

To sum it up, the outback has been a great car for me, and is what I voted for in the poll, but I do lust after the legacy. You can't go wrong with either car.

What about compromising with a hatchback Impreza?

14. silbeej thread starter macrumors 6502a

I was looking at the impreza, but to get a decent looking one, you need to go with the WRX, and thus the turbo motor, which is more fun, but insurance goes way up and fuel economy goes down. I will be getting a manual, i got around 26 MPG in our 99 Forester and get 27 MPG in our 08 Outback (around 80% city 20% highway) so i'm very pleased.

15. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

any form of a honda or toyota/scion/lexus

maybe an IS F :p

16. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

you do know that All Wheel drive is also known as full time 4 wheel drive.

Biggest difference is the transfer case is different. 4 wheel drive you can turn off. All wheel drive is just a full time 4 wheel drive.

17. RobLS macrumors member

I own an 07 Subaru Legacy GT, and its great, especially since I've gone stage two with it. Even as stock though its great.

18. iGav macrumors G3

Neither.

Stop being so tight, cough up another 5k and get a Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart pronto.

Why? Have you actually seen what 2009 Subaru's look like? :p :p :p :p :p :p

19. dextertangocci macrumors 68000

No car is better than a German car, IMO.

Get a VW Golf 6 TDI when they come out in October 2009.

20. silbeej thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, i am in love with Audi's but can't afford one right now. I've heard lots of bad things about the US VW's reliability which is the only reason i'm staying away right now, otherwise i would consider one.

21. twistedlegato macrumors 65816

twistedlegato

Seconded! My mum has a the 2008 model, and it's a great car. HIGHLY recommended :)

22. cerhard macrumors member

Get the Legacy GT with the Turbo and a stick. Way more classy than a WRX and just as fast.

23. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

Typically full time four wheel drive refers to a system with a manual center locking differential.

Four wheel drive is when you have the option of 2wd or 4wd

AWD usually refers to a system where the power is distributed to all 4 wheels, some have an automatic locking center differential, some do not.

Basically you want a center locking differential, which will distribute 50% of the power to the front wheels and 50% to the rear wheels. Without it the power will only go to the wheel of least resistance. This however can be "fixed" with traction control. Traction control plus a center locking diff = the best option.

I'm not sure what system the Subaru uses but really with a good set of tires, even a front wheel drive car with traction control can do very well in the snow. The AWD just gives you a little but more security from fishtailing.

I would definitely consider a Subaru. Everyone I know that has one loves it. I would go for the legacy too, just because I think its better looking than the outback.

Do not buy a VW product. Nothing but trouble with our Touareg.

24. garybUK Guest

garybUK

Your 21 why do you need a big 2.5l car? it's insane! no wonder the earth is so hot! :p

Get a nice little 1litre engined run about that gets 60-70mpg [​IMG]

25. iGav macrumors G3

Why do you need a big 1 litre car? ;)

[​IMG]