Which Car Would you Recommend from my Favorites?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by andreab35, Feb 20, 2009.

1. andreab35 macrumors 6502a

andreab35

Hey Guys!

I'm in the market of buying a new vehicle.
    I'm stuck on so many favorites that I just don't know what to choose!

Here is my list that I love:

• 2005+ Audi A4 or A6 (not the biggest fan for the A4's back)
    • 2009 Nissan Maxima (so beautiful in white!)
    • 2006+ Infiniti G35 Sedan
    • 2008+ Volvo S80

I'm so stuck between them! All of them are so beautiful!
    Money is not an issue here. I'm looking for style, performance, and I'm looking for something that will perform well in bad weather conditions (typical New England weather- snow, rain, ice, you name it!)

My eyes have been set on an Audi lately, but then I have fallen in love with the '09 Maxima.

I've added some photos just to show off the beauty and make my mouth drool:

2008 Volvo S80
    [​IMG]

2007 Infiniti G35
    [​IMG]

2009 Nissan Maxima

[​IMG]

2006 Audi A4
    [​IMG]

2007 Audi A6
    [​IMG]

For a woman, I'm looking for something with style, performance, and safety. I have grown up to love cars and I would love to get something very nice.
    Thanks for the help! I look forward to your opinions and discussion!

2. Vivid.Inferno macrumors 6502

Vivid.Inferno

I'm a fan of the 2007 Infiniti G35 in black. So sleek and sexy. My moms friend has one, and it handles the crappy Canadian winter driving conditions well.

The maxima is nice too (in all honesty they're all nice lol)

3. nissan.gtp macrumors 6502

You can't go wrong with any of those. Choice really comes down to what you like the best.

The Maxima would likely be the least expensive in terms of upkeep and repair (which all cars need at some point)

the Audi would have the best all wheel drive, which is a must in snow. traction control is good, but AWD is FAR better. The G35 is available in AWD, and maybe the Volvo.

make sure you get stability control (all those cars should have it at least as an option), it's a great safety measure

Have fun shopping, new cars rock. :cool:

4. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

I'd have to go for the A4... I really like it's looks

5. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

You could fit two A4s inside that Maxima. You don't have a size preference? I have a much older Maxima and I love it. It probably shares a lot of parts with the Infinti.

6. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

The Infiniti G35 is an incredibly comfortable car. It handles nice and just "feels" really good. Nice power.

I think the Maxima is a bit overrated. My Aunt has one. It's not a bad car but it just doesn't impress me as much as the Infiniti. It has a lot of interior space, though, if that's important to you.

I have no experience with the Volvo. So, no comment there.

The two Audi's are nice. But I've only sat in the A6. Never driven either. The A6 was comfortable...but I obviously can't comment on performance. I like the styling of the Audi's.

7. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

8. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

A4 or Maxima.

Either one. Both are peppy, sporty and refined. The A4 looks a bit more preppy and expensive (as it is). The Maxima looks sportier.

9. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

You seem to be all over the place with the model years - if money is no object, why not just buy new? Or do you prefer certain body styles?

I do like the latest Audis. One of those or the Infiniti would be my choice.

10. andreab35 thread starter macrumors 6502a

andreab35

Thank you for all of your opinions!

Money is not an issue, but I do like certain body styles on some vehicles... that's why some of them aren't new, new.

11. schizoidwoman macrumors regular

On top of a steep hill in West Yorkshire.
    I have to weigh in on the side of the A4; my dad's had a lot of these (he likes to exchange his car regularly) and it's a great vehicle!

12. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

In order-

1) G35. The complete winner, IMO.
    2) A4.
    3) Maxima
    4) A6
    5) S80.

Have you considered the 2009 Acura TL? Yes, the grille is subjective, but I test drove one last fall and loved the ride/performance. It has some serious tech packed into it too.

13. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

They're all good options, but do you want to emphasize sportiness and agility, or ride comfort? :confused:

If you're looking for a good blend of sportiness and ride comfort, but with an slight emphasis on sportiness and agility (there must be a sports transmission option or something on many of these cars, no?), I'd get the 2009 Maxima. I wouldn't get the 2007 G35 because I don't know how much more you'd get back in return when compared to a 2009 Maxima.

If you're looking for a good blend of sportiness and ride comfort, but with an slight emphasis on ride comfort, I'd get the Volvo as long as you get the turbo model. Otherwise, you may as well ride your bike. :p I've never seen the interior, but going by what I know about Volvo interiors over the years (my parents owned 2), it's probably stunning........well beyond what you'd get from the other cars. :) After arriving at your destination, you never want to leave the car. It'll handle well, as all cars do in its price range. However, it's no A4.

I have always liked the Audi A4. It's a great car. However, I've never liked the exterior of the A6. Saying that, I wouldn't get a 2005 A4, particularly not one that is in New England. How many harsh winters has it been through already, and are you willing to pay the high Audi maintenance costs that are coming up soon? :confused:

Anyway:

1. 2009 Maxima
    2. 2008 Volvo S80
    3. 2007 Infinity G35
    4. 2005 A4
    5. 2005 A6.

14. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

I've only been in a couple of A4s, but the interiors didn't seem to be comparable to the Maximas I've been in. Never been inside any of the others!

15. SteveMobs macrumors 6502

SteveMobs

You're buying used or new?

If you live in new England, Audi makes the best all wheel drive system in the world, period, no question. Quattro was among the first, if not the first and it's still the best.

Volvo, is the safest of the group, followed closely by Audi. Volvo engineers seem to put an excessive amount of time into their safety features, even back in the day when it wasnt that big of a buying point.

I would go with either the volvo S80 or the Audi A4,

This is a good example of Audi AWD, they drive straight up a snowy ski ramp.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhhwTQ9tPMk

As far as looks go it's a tough tie between the A4 and the S80, but I think I'd go Volvo S80, it's just so sexy!

As far as the G35 and the Nissan go, yeah the G35 is good looking but I feel like the Europeans are a safer bet, especially in New England.

Oh and as far as experience goes with each vehicle;

I've owned two volvos, one was back in the day, it was a 1990 Volvo 740 TurboWagon, I loved that car, it's one of my all time favorite "normal" cars. Just sold it though, I had to because of complex insurance reasons, I think it's the only material object I've ever loved.

Currently I have a 2005 Volvo V70, also a very nice car, good on gas and quick. Front wheel drive is fine for D.C. snow and other than that it's a quality car.

When I lived in Europe we had a 2000 Audi A6, also nice, completely different from Volvos but I liked it. The build quality was better than the volvos as far as pieces fitting together nicely on the dash and stuff, good power, nice on fuel.

Hope this helps.

16. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

I find that CNET's Car reviews with videos to be the best in car tech reviews going today. I urge anyone buying any car (new or used) to take a test drive (with the wife if you are married) before signing anything.

17. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Audi A4 definitely. A6 if you're feeling rich! I had an A4 rental last year. It was mine for a week. Nice car - handled well. Very precise. Good looks too.

I'm not keen on the Maxima's somewhat lumpen styling. The trunk / rear bumper is just a mess. Seems like a good family car. It's certainly big.

The Infinity looks a very competent effort. Styling a bit bland, perhaps?

I haven't driven either of last two, btw.

18. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

That is hilarious, Audi is known for having some of the best interiors in the business.

19. Mr. lax macrumors 6502

Nissan Maxima is a darn good looking car! Wow

20. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Was sitting beside an A6, 2-door, deep grey, today.

Very nice car, as I noted to those with me.

Unless you have deep pockets, you must consider the repair history. Is the warranty in the same ball-park as the Nissan??

21. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

Yeah, it could have been a trim level discrepancy, who knows. The ones i have been in seemed very cheap in comparison.

22. alexbates macrumors 65816

alexbates

I would go with a 2009 Audi A4 and maybe even a 2009 Audi A6 if you can afford it. I like the idea of getting a new car instead of a used one.

A few more cars you might want to add to your list are the Mercedes C300 and the BMW 328i.

23. ArmyKnight12 macrumors 6502

ArmyKnight12

24. BCains macrumors regular

2007 Infiniti G35 or 2009 Nissan Maxima

Going off www.cars.com this is what i gathered (IMO)

Looks:

1. 2007 Infiniti G35 ($32-$35K USD)
    2. 2009 Nissan Maxima ($30-33K USD)
    3. 2007 Audi A6 ($42-$56K USD)
    4. 2008 Volvo S80 ($39-49K USD)
    5. 2006 Audi A4 ($28-46K USD)

Fuel Consumption:

1. 2008 Volvo S80 (15-16 mpg - city) Premium Unleaded
    2. 2007 Infiniti G35 (18-19 mpg - city) Premium Unleaded
    3. 2009 Nissan Maxima (19 mpg - city) Premium Unleaded
    4. 2007 Audi A6 (18-21 mpg city) Premium Unleaded
    5. 2006 Audi A4 (17-24 mpg - city) Premium Unleaded

Performance:

1. 2007 Infiniti G35 / 5-spd auto / 6-spd man (275-306hp)
    2. 2007 Audi A6 / 6-spd auto / 7-spd CVT (255 or 350hp)
    3. 2008 Volvo S80 / 6-spd auto (235-311hp)
    4. 2009 Nissan Maxima / 2-spd CVT (290hp)
    5. 2006 Audi A4 / 5-spd auto / 6-spd man / 6-spd CVT / 7-spd CVT (170 - 255hp)

Happy car hunting!

25. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Fuel needs to be tempered with Premium vs. Regular.