Which cell phone would you choose?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by SlovakApple, Apr 2, 2011.

1. SlovakApple macrumors 6502

So I want to buy a new cell phone and I cannot decide between these three (have read many reviews on the net):
    - Sony Ericsson Vivaz Pro
    - Nokia C6
    - Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 mini.

Therefore I would like to ask MacRumors users who have one of those (or all :D) about their experience. Sorry that this is not Apple related and thanks in advance.

2. sysiphus macrumors 6502a

sysiphus

None of the above. The Vivaz is running Symbian S60, which is a dying platform. Same story for the C6. The Xperia X10 mini is the best of the lot, but it's not going to be updated past Android 2.1 (the only X10-series phone that is will be the standard X10). All three are dead-ends for software support. If you must pick one of the above, get the X10 mini, though.

3. roadbloc, Apr 2, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2011

roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Out of them three... the Nokia has my vote. Nokia have always made solid, easy to use, durable phones that are well worth the money.

4. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

Wait for the XPeria Play.

5. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Not you particularly, but you guys are aware of the OP's country, I hope.

His (?) choice might be limited by the networks available.

6. SlovakApple thread starter macrumors 6502

I am not a tech buff like you guys, so I do not mind if the software is not state of the art. :) I was more interested in day-to-day experience (like if the phone freezes up every other day, how long does the batery last etc.)

Thanks.

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

People dislike Nokia touchscreen phones because they're not as intuitive as iPhones or Android phones. However, they have all/most of the features you want, and they're not THAT hard to use... not unless you're generally hard to please anyway. At least Symbian allows me to easily change between different usage profiles (eg: loud, normal, quiet, in car), which even an iPhone doesn't let me do (except ringer on, or silent). The menus aren't great, but neither are the iPhone's, IMO. Oh, and my old Nokia came with an earphone remote to play music, change volume, make handsfree phonecalls. It was a nice touch!

I like my iPhone more than my old Nokia 5800, but it wasn't a bad phone at all!

8. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

9. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

I have an Xperia X8 and I really like it (although there are much better phones out there, I think it is decent), so I would go for the X10 Mini.

10. bjoern75 macrumors newbie

11. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

I would ditch all three and go buy an iPhone 4.

It's a superior phone in all aspects :)

12. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

If he had the option to buy an iPhone, I imagine he would have said that in the original post. :rolleyes:

13. Young Spade macrumors 68020

Neither of those. I don't know how you intend on using the phone but it's better to get a top tier one; an Android phone with a 1ghz processor or dual core is exponentially better than anything under that. I would go with 800mhz at the lowest.

If you don't mind waiting, a lot of new phones are going to be coming out this summer... but if you want something now, the Galaxy S phones are great and are pretty cheap on contract.

14. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

Ah, you're one of those, eh? Those kids who buy based on what you call "specs." Doesn't matter in the least what it does or doesn't offer, but you only care about MOAR POWERRRR.

How about this. I'll **** in a box, tie a ribbon on it, and tell you it has extra powerful crap in it. At the end of the day, you've still got a box full of crap, but it's EXTRA POWERFUL. That makes it good, right? RIGHT??

OP - buy what you like. Anyone who tells you otherwise, tell them to screw off.

15. 7on macrumors 601

7on

If he has the X10 he's certainly geting the Play this summer.

I'd be more interested if he's picking these models primarily due to cost. These listed should be pretty cheap as far as handsets go.

And I think he'll be disappointed with the C6 unless he's a symbian fanboy.

If you need a phone now, my vote would be the HTC Mozart (WP7) or if you think Android might be up your ally, the Galaxy S.