Which City/Place keeps drawing you back?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Happybunny, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Happybunny, Jan 30, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2012

Happybunny macrumors 68000

Is there any place or city that you once visited, and over the years you just keep going back?

I 've been to the Grand Canyon and stood on the Great Wall of China, are both are really a WOW experience.

But they don't pull me back.

My place is New York City.
    First visited in 1985, (At that time I lived and worked for eighteen months in White Plains NY. I was on secondment from my Dutch Company - Heineken)
    Made frequent trips to NYC, and was totally fascinated. NYC population back then was 7,000,000, for a comparison my home town of 's-Hertogenbosch, back then was 85,000; The whole population of the Netherlands back then was only 13,000,000.
    NYC was so very different, It truly was my first 24hr city, still a bit dangerous, hell in some areas very dangerous. But it had a life like I had only ever seen in the movies, seeing the street where Bob Dylan and Suze Rotolo, made cover for Freewheeln' . Going around Manhattan seeing Times Sq, and 42nd St, just like Taxi Driver (You talking to me?). Central Park was bigger in area than my whole home town. John Lennon's Strawberry Fields Memorial had only just opened, Central Park was dangerous, and after dark VERY dangerous. But it didn't matter it was for me the most exciting place I had ever been.

Since then I have been back to NYC, in 1995:1997:2000:2003:2006:

I'm thinking of travelling again this year for the Comic Con, in October 2012.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Chicago. Some of the fondest memories I've had in my lifetime and they happen to be home to my favorite baseball team. :eek::eek:

I did love London as well but there is just something about Chicago.

3. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

London holds the title as the only city I've been to twice just for vacation (been to other cities multiple times for other reasons), and I would go back again in a heartbeat. Although there are other places I'd like to cross off my bucket list first though.

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I've lost count of the number of times I've been to Munich. Planning on going back for Oktoberfest with my girlfriend this year :D

5. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Strange...NYC is where I grew up, and where I want to return to soon....I haven't been back in over 30 years, but the call of home is getting stronger with age.

6. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

I've been to Tokyo three times, and I don't think I'd ever get bored of it. I can see myself visiting every three or four years for the rest of my life (I'm overdue a trip...).

Why? It's just so endlessly sprawling and fascinating. I'd say I'm more in to the idiosyncrasies of modern Japanese culture than the traditional stuff. It's actually quite a walkable city too.

Closer to home, I've visited Paris more often than any other European city, although primarily because it's so quick and cheap to get there (even for a day trip). It's good, but it's not completely won me over. I'd prefer to visit Madrid (just seems so much more vibrant - and a more exciting food culture) or Bruges (Belgium is culturally interesting, and there's a lot to see and do in either Bruges or Antwerp).

7. acidfast7 macrumors 65816

acidfast7

Мінск, Беларусь (Minsk, Belarus)

8. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

New York or Paris. Only been to Paris once but am definitely looking forward to going back. Just something about that city, not sure what it is.

9. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

Of all the cities I've been to, NYC is the place I want to re-visit. There is WAY too much stuff to do there.

10. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

NYC.
    I like Chicago and London too, but nothing is quite like NYC.

I think I'd like Prague too. Haven't been there though. Wish I spoke Czech - it might add to the experience.

Cities I want to see/re-see: Berlin, Prague, Sydney, London, Paris, Tokyo

11. tktaylor1 macrumors 6502a

tktaylor1

NYC is the obvious, but Boston always draws me back. So much that I plan on moving there after college. A lot different than Tennessee, just hope I can adapt fast.

12. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I, too, grew up near NYC. So it has that "home turf" pull.

However, I lived in San Francisco for three years, and no other city has the kind of pull San Francisco has for me, and I've been to many cities (and intend to be to many, many more!).

13. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

If Boston was filled with New Yorkers, it really would be an awesome city. ;)

Also a native NY'er here - living in Texas now - and I'd love to move back there someday. I've lived in a few cities and travelled to many others, and there's absolutely nothing like New York.

14. rick snagwell macrumors 68040

rick snagwell

all i know is the states. san francisco is the best city to visit by far!

15. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

16. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

17. BreakGuy macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

I want to go back to New York City and I haven't even been there once.

18. TheLegend macrumors member

TheLegend

19. sauced macrumors regular

I've only visited Paris once (about 4 years ago), but it is definitely a place I fell in love with/will be visiting again sometime in the future.

20. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Milford Sound, New Zealand.

I've only been there once but I think about it at least once a day and I've been browsing their residency page frequently looking to see if I match any skills they want.

21. rcepek macrumors newbie

Berlin, Germany

Of all the places I have ever been, Germany is place I would go back to over an over again. Berlin holds a special place for me