Which cloud service do you use?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by nolankvn, Oct 29, 2015.

?

What cloud service do you use?

1. iCloud

26 vote(s)
    63.4%
  2. Google Drive

13 vote(s)
    31.7%
  3. OneDrive

15 vote(s)
    36.6%
  4. Dropbox

24 vote(s)
    58.5%
  5. Other

6 vote(s)
    14.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. nolankvn macrumors member

nolankvn

I've been switching back and forth between all the major cloud services lately. I can't really settle on one. Google Drive and OneDrive seem to have the best value. I prefer Google Drive's web interface to OneDrive's but for some reason it eats a ton of RAM on OS X (120-150 MB).

What do you use/why?

2. iphonedude2008 macrumors 65816

iphonedude2008

I use OneDrive because as an Office 365 user, I have 1TB of storage. Can't beat huge.
    I also pay 99cents a month for 50gb iCloud for iCloud Photo library.

3. Zenithal macrumors 68040

4. Meister Suspended

Meister

5. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

6. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Dropbox and iCloud. Will likely start paying some money for iCloud, just for iCloud Photo Library. Have 25Gb free space on Dropbox.

7. Silencio macrumors 68020

Silencio

Dropbox and iCloud for personal stuff. I only really use Dropbox for syncing my Transmit bookmarkets and 1Password database. I'd just as soon transition that stuff to iCloud or another service, but I don't have the App Store version of 1Password for OS X.

We're moving to Box for work. I have space on Google Drive and OneDrive but no compelling reason to use them.

8. Eileen89 macrumors 65816

I use Google Photos for storing all of my phones and Videos since it is unlimited and free. I use iCloud for everything else, though.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

iCloud and OneDrive.
    Well let me correct that, I use a .mac email account as I had that since Apple offered it back in the iTools days, but I really don't use the cloud storage/syncing in iCloud. I do use OneDrive since I have an office 365 subscription.

10. nolankvn thread starter macrumors member

nolankvn

11. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

I've been using Google Drive, Dropbox and One Drive concurrently for a long time. I have made three well spaced separate attempts to use and enjoy iCloud. I really would rather use just two. Google and iCloud. But after the MobileMe Debacle involving a small number (my luck) of users having more problems than I care to spend the time listing here I've avoided iCloud for the present. Notice I haven't condemned it and quit, just giving Apple the year or two it'll take if they choose to focus on it. They can be fast or slow, cloud services baffle Apple so it'll be awhile.

The good news is that Apple did take ownership of my MobileMe and iCloud cases and helped to retrieve some of my data after two months. Kind of slow but I always give credit for the help. That they didn't get it all is just the risk one takes with any such issue.

12. E3BK, Nov 2, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2015

E3BK macrumors 68020

E3BK

iCloud for Apple services & Photos. Dropbox for most of my files for back up. I somehow have a ton of free storage. And Drive for work. Dropbox & Drive are used so much in my field that you can't really just use one.

I still use my .mac email and have managed to survive all the changes Apple has made. I used to have iDisk as well before all the other services started to pop up. Not elegant compared to today's services but no one was doing that kind of online back up for personal use at the time.

13. Zenithal macrumors 68040

Saw that headline today and it floored me. I knew storage wasn't a big money-maker for MS, Azure is, but that did surprise me. Of all the services, DB seems to be the best for me. GDrive is a pain in the butt to use.

14. Alphazoid macrumors 6502a

Alphazoid

OneDrive (for productivity), iCloud for syncing my Apple ecosystem.

15. Crazy Badger macrumors 65816

Crazy Badger

Don't use Google Drive (although I have an account) but I use all of the others and more.

16. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Dropbox because it is the first one I tried and it was good enough that I didn't see a need to switch to anything else.

17. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68020

Ulenspiegel

18. Centris 650 macrumors 6502a

Centris 650

Paying for iCloud extra storage. This is my main Cloud Storage.
    I use Drop Box for pict back up from my phone and a few other items.
    I use Google Drive as a back up for important Pages/Numbers files I don't want to lose. (They are also locked so I don't accidentally modify them.)

I think I'll probably swtich Drop Box and Google Drive around. I have more storage on GD than DB which is nice for the pict back up.

19. Tech198 macrumors G4

The only reason i chose Dropbox, was iCloud doesn't do selective sync. but u still need to access to other devices...

Apparently, Apple IS different :p

20. Talukdar macrumors member

Talukdar

21. Dingster101 macrumors member

Another triple play user, iCloud, Google Drive and Dropbox

22. driftless macrumors demi-god

driftless

Triple play here as well. Dropbox primarily. iCloud and Google Drive secondarily.

23. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Dropbox is my primary cloud storage service and I use Google Drive sparingly, just to share files with a friend from time to time.

I also use TrueCrypt to keep an encrypted container inside of Dropbox where I store all my important files.

24. Jatheon macrumors newbie

Jatheon

Any of these clouds that you use, you will not use the wrong.