Which converter from FLAC to ALAC?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by Giuanniello, Dec 2, 2018.

1. Giuanniello macrumors 6502

Giuanniello

Hello everybody,

I am restoring an old Mini A1176 to become a little music server and as such I want to convert my FLAC library to ALAC so that I can play it through iTunes because it is the best way to arrange playlists and being built in into the OS I won't have to deal with software not running on too old of a machine.

Question being which converter should I use to convert the library to ALAC (or is it better to convert to AAC?) without to bother too much about settings? I mean, once I decide the target format to make so it uses the same settings as the original file (bitrate etc).

Grazie for your suggestions

Giovanni

2. mikzn, Dec 2, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2018

mikzn macrumors 65816

mikzn

I use MAX - See Link here

Disclaimer - it has not been updated in a long time but I still use it and it works great for me.

EDIT: Opps - sorry does not convert to ALAC

3. Giuanniello thread starter macrumors 6502

Giuanniello

No problem, thanks for the reply

4. eddimax macrumors member

I am using this one
    https://www.mediahuman.com/audio-converter/

its free and easy. On output format i am using ALAC 44100 Hz and deselect "search cover art automatically" options because its not working well. Anyway, great software.

5. Giuanniello thread starter macrumors 6502

Giuanniello

I found out I already had XLD on my computer and am using that one, many a times it can also retrieve data off the music database to add covers where not already built in, so far seems to be working nice but I will give a try at the one you suggest.

By the way I gotta skim the collection, found out it being about 100GB most of which being stuff I won't listen at all, I just hope that m4a can be easily handled by the old Mini Core Duo 2 I am restoring to work as a media player.

Grazie

6. anaudiopro macrumors 65816

anaudiopro

7. mikzn macrumors 65816

mikzn

LOL

Attached Files: