Which data plan is everyone choosing?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kenbrinkman, Jun 17, 2010.

?

Which data plan did you choose?

1. DataPlus – 200 MB of data for $15 per month

32 vote(s)
    12.7%
  2. DataPro – 2 GB of data for $25 per month

40 vote(s)
    15.9%
  3. DataPro + Tethering – 2 GB of data for $45 per month

4 vote(s)
    1.6%
  4. Unlimited - Unlimited Data for $30 per month

176 vote(s)
    69.8%
  1. kenbrinkman macrumors regular

kenbrinkman

Curious to see how many stuck with unlimited, or saved some money with the 200MB plan.

2. nccb macrumors newbie

I'm grandfathered in @ Unlimited but may actually switch to 2GB datapro - I never use more than 600MB.

3. waltermitty macrumors member

Unlimited, so I can keep tethering Netflix to my iPad. Also stream Netflix over 3G with my iPhone 4 when a jailbreak is released.

4. OOC macrumors member

I picked the DataPlus plan when I reserved. I'd like to see how I do with that before going with the DataPro.

5. -PsYcHoNoVa- macrumors member

I only use like 25 MB a month, so switching to 200 MB for $15 was a no brainer.

6. The Governor macrumors regular

only 25 MB :eek:

In all seriousness, why do you have an iphone? Seems like an ipod touch paired with a cheap flip phone would work better?

7. bobsentell macrumors 6502a

bobsentell

Unlimited. I've never broken 2GB, but you never know.

8. theonekcrow macrumors 6502a

theonekcrow

I'm going to keep a meter on my usage for a month or two after I get my iPhone 4. If my data usage is lower than expected, then I will switch to a lower plan. But we will see. For now, I'm keeping my unlimited.

9. TroyBoy30 macrumors 68000

TroyBoy30

+1

I use to average 30g a month when I worked third shift and streamed movies on 12 hours shifts!

10. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

I'm sticking with unlimited.

AT&T is a perfect example of "the wolf in sheep's clothing" with these new data plans. People think AT&T is doing them a favor. Just wait...

11. TurboSC macrumors 65816

TurboSC

Same here, it's just an extra $5, I'd rather be safe than sorry.

12. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I think AT&T and others should do data usage charging like they do minutes.
    You have a limited amount of any time data but unlimited N&W data usage. It is the peak data load that is killing them and that is more than likely during the day when people are at work. During the evening most people should be on wifi.

Besides wifi uses less battery life any how.

13. walala macrumors member

I've never had an iPhone before, so I really have no idea. I was going to do the 2GB for $25 but after reading a few of these posts, it seems like 2GB is a lot.

If I start off on 200MB for $15, how easy is it to upgrade to 2GB through ATT? Is there a charge, or can you just do it on the fly?

14. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

I'm staying with my unlimited for now, but may reduce it after a couple of months if my usage allows it. Right now its about 200 MB.

15. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I've had an iPhone for more than 2 years now. I have never even come close to hitting 1GB. I think I barely topped 500MB last month.

Yes, silly AT&T. How dare I save money for the same exact usage I've had over two years!

The only people I can really see needing more are the few people who use something like Netflix EVERY DAY away from WiFi. I'm betting Netflix will figure out some way to cache movies on the iPad and iPhone apps so you can use that data over WiFi and then watch a couple of videos during the day. Also, as this thread seems to be pointing out, most people don't need an unlimited plan. Even most of the people sticking with it don't seem to use 2GB per month.

16. Juan007 macrumors 6502a

Juan007

17. bli625 macrumors 6502a

bli625

I'm going with the 200MB and upgrading to the 2GB if I have to.

18. RC83 macrumors 6502

I wish I could get unlimited.. going with 2gb

19. lnferno macrumors 6502

I'm keeping my $30 unlimited plan, however, I looked at my past 6 months of data usage and I've never used more than 500MB in a month, so I could easily get away with the 2GB plan, but with the HD video and Netflix coming out, I could see myself using the data plan a lot more with the iPhone 4, so I'm keeping my unlimited.

20. palmerc2 macrumors 65816

palmerc2

def staying with unlimited

I browse the web allllll the time on 3G, even though I haven't gone over 2Gb you never know.....in a year from now, if 4G is available....I am sure I will be streaming movies all the time

Its def worth the extra $5 a month.

21. Bootsie macrumors 6502a

Bootsie

I am doing the same, I am a new AT&T customer so I can't have unlimited. But the few months that I have checked with my current iphone on T-mobile I am using less than 100MB, so even if my usage goes up, which I'm sure it will when I don't have to deal with my hacked T-zones not working half the time haha, I should be fine, and I can always upgrade if needed.

22. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Kept unlimited with my family plan b/c my son uses at least 3GB alone per month...:p

23. Lamarak macrumors 6502

Unlimited here unless i see a real need to tether. Ive never been a jail-breaker, just dont like taking chances on a 600 device. I have the kind of luck that if something bad going only to happen 1 % of the time, it will happen to me.

24. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

You forgot to add an option: Unlimited + unauthorized tethering

;)

25. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

Sounds like you're still gun-shy from all the stories of "bricked" phones early on. That was unlocking, not jailbreaking. Jailbreaking is totally reversible. Even if you have a problem, you just restore the phone to its original state. No harm, no foul.