Which data plan will you choose?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by doubleatheman, Jun 2, 2010.

?

Which data plan will you choose?

1. 200MB: $15 (Additional data is $15 for 200GB)

18 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. 2GB: $25 (Additional data is $10 for 1GB)

24 vote(s)
    22.2%
  3. Unlimited (5GB?) $30 Grandfather plan from old phone

65 vote(s)
    60.2%
  4. 2GB + Tethering: $45 (Additional data is $10 for 1GB)

1 vote(s)
    0.9%
  1. doubleatheman macrumors 6502a

doubleatheman

2. doubleatheman thread starter macrumors 6502a

doubleatheman

For me it's simple,

I use about 400MB per month, but I have months where I will use more than 2GB, I know that 98% of users now don't use more than 2GB of data.. but in two years this will be a very different story. All of these companies that want to cap, want to screw us over in 2 years, not today. What will AT&T's encouragement be to ever make new data plans with more data in a few years. They will force us to a cap they mad in 2010. (Please prove me wrong, but thats what I feel is going on IMO)

I really see myself using more than 2GB per month in a few years. I don't want to be stuck to some cap in two years. I think the $30 unlimited may be a bad deal now, but hopefully will save me in the long run.

Although getting the $15 plan for my family users whom have very light use on the iPhone is a good deal! This might very well cause my mom to get an iPhone.

3. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Need to remove that (5GB?) from the unlimited option.

4. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Well, I voted for 2 GB but that's IF there are no surprises when the new phone comes out. So I'm waiting before I change.

I'm really kind of expecting video-chatting to be a Wi-fi only feature. If it instead turns out to be a 3G data thing then I may keep my unlimited plan.

So...probably 2 GB, but I'm gonna wait a while before switching.

5. doubleatheman thread starter macrumors 6502a

doubleatheman

it's confirmed there is no soft cap?

6. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Sometimes I use over 2Gb if tethering, so because I'll pay $30 if I'm between 2Gb-3Gb using the 2Gb plan, I might as well keep unlimited for the same price so I can tether and get unlimited data for $30 instead of $45.

7. doubleatheman thread starter macrumors 6502a

doubleatheman

You can't add tethering to the $30 unlimited plan.... (Unless your jailbroken, sounds like you are because your already tethering)

8. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

Even though I don't use alot of data I will be remaining with my $30 unlimited data plan. One of those you never situations when you may need it.

9. Vandam500 macrumors 68000

Vandam500

There is no cap

10. Fabienne macrumors 65816

Fabienne

I don't game so I can probably get by with the lowest level comfortably, I am SURE that AT&T would be delighted to upgrade me any time I like, too. But, I am going to start off at the bottom and work my way up.

11. iPhone3Gusr macrumors member

iPhone3Gusr

I completely agree. I will be keeping my unlimited data plan as well.

12. lovemyipad macrumors member

I really hope something bad happens to ATT. I don't know what, but out of business would be nice.

How the **** can not even OFFER unlimited data for a price even if its higher than 30?

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SO MAD! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

13. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

As long as the $30 doesn't kill me, I'll stick with it since I'd hate to downsize and then find I really need that extra data. I mentioned in another post about my 200 text messages not making the grade anymore and the same could happen with data--even though I don't use it much since I stay connected via wi-fi at home.

14. cdp1276 macrumors member

cdp1276

I'm currently on the original subsidized iPhone data plans of $20 unlimited + 200 texts and $30 unlimited +1500 texts. When I upgrade to the new iPhone I know that these plans are no longer offered. However, will I still be able to keep the unlimited plan as a current smart phone customer? I just don't want to be forced into one of these cap tier data plans.

15. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

Agreed. Idk what it is, but I must have missed the memo or meeting where everyone in the world was told that "Unlimited" now stands for "5GB limit". It's that type of stupidity that keeps incorrect information alive and well, and it sucks

16. iMrNiceGuy0023 macrumors 68000

im used to unlimited, I'll stick with unlimited

17. doubleatheman thread starter macrumors 6502a

doubleatheman

Hey I used a question mark :p

18. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

staying at 30. i get unlimited and tethering which is better than 35 for 2gigs with tethering and i plan on using my ipad with the same sim. so 30 is a no brainer

19. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

Lol, I wasn't talking about you, sorry! And it's not just this site, either. That little "fact" is like a virus, it's spreading everywhere. It is my job to eradicate it wherever it pops up next. You can call me, Mr. Penisillin (sic)

20. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

I'm keeping my $30 unlimited plan. Everyone is looking in the past with their data usage, I'm looking towards the future. With the new iPhone, there will surely be new apps and programs that will kill your data usage.

You can always downgrade later if you feel it's not needed but you can never upgrade back to unlimited again.

21. Maverick1337 macrumors 65816

Maverick1337

OP, this is a random question, was it hard to build your desktop? I'm thinking of building a total gaming beast and I was wondering on the difficulty. Your setup seems to be the one im leaning for. Was it pretty expensive? I noticed you have some crazy gadgets in that monster.

22. tnisatard macrumors 6502

im definitely keeping my unlimited

i could only see myself switching to the data pro if it was $20, or tethering was a 1 time fee of $20

but i guess ill just jailbreak and get tethering for free again

23. Mr. Chewbacca macrumors 6502a

Mr. Chewbacca

NO, you will have to use a new plan

24. ViPhone macrumors 6502

This sucks. I sell my first iPhone, to go back to Blackberry. Now that I once again want to go back to Apple, ATT screws me over. Why not just offer an unlimited plan? I'd estimate that although 98% of users only use 2GB or less of data, 50+% would buy the unlim. plan. Idiots! They could be making more money. This is bad for everyone. Way to go, ATT. I might just switch to Verizon now. :mad:

25. tnisatard macrumors 6502

you have a blackberry.... you can just add the blackberry data plan and thats fine