Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dirty Harry

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2004
Valencia, SPAIN
PTHD and PTLE need digi hardware. PT-M needs M-Audio branded hardware.

I use Avid Media Composer at work for video editing and if hardware is turned off ("Adrenaline") you can still use it as "software only", meaning you still can edit if media is available on your drive, you could even capture DV using firewire. Hardware is for advanced connections, like SDI, 8 audio channels...
I was wondering if Pro Tools would still boot without hardware and let me do some basic stuff on my laptop, then using hardware when I need to output.
:)

Dirty Harry

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2004
Valencia, SPAIN
No, it won't.

:eek: I see... Wich DAW for composing? I am headed for Logic Express then. Plus I discovered the new score editor in Pro Tools doesn´t support drum notation yet, unlike the real Sibelius.

Garageband is aimed to guitar/keyboard; I hope one day Apple realizes we drummers are also part of the (garage)band and adds drum notation to it. This could lead to "learn to play" lessons for drummers too.:rolleyes:

sfkele

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2009
Logic

LOGIC all the way. Once you learn the basics you find that there is so much more that it is really capable of. I currently am running logic 8 on a dual xeon g5 with an apogee x-symphoney card and rosetta 800. Its great and it sounds literally amazing.... Logic is an extremely powerful DAW and anyone who knocks it probably just doesn't know how to use it.

:cool:

wts

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2009
LOGIC all the way.

Logic is an extremely powerful DAW and anyone who knocks it probably just doesn't know how to use it.

:cool:

I agree: I cut my teeth on Emagic's Logic version 4. Actually it was a version that was programmed to use Roland's VS1680 hard disk recorder with Logic.

Using MTC you could record with the VS1680 and transfer audio to the computer for post/pre mixing and burn either from the computer or from the VS1680.

I still use my VS1680 for studio and out of studio work because it's portable and it just never crashes not unlike computers. Try dealing with a female vocalist after a computer crash/restart/setups and she has to re-sing her part again and just loses the mood.

I think you will admit that LOGIC is a monster DAW and takes some reading of the manual to master. It's really not Mac intuitive. Too bad that Yamaha/Apple have put such a high price tag on the software although sometimes that makes people think a product is more valuable the more it costs. C'est la vie, non?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.