All iPads Which do you choose iPad Air or rMini?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by noodle15, Dec 14, 2013.

1. noodle15 macrumors newbie

Wondering how many bought the air and returned for the retina mini? Or did you just wait for the rmini? Did you buy the air and keep it? Did you buy the rmini and return it for the air.

Have a mini and bought the air. I really love the air but the mini seems more portable. I have bigger hands so to use the air it is easier. Really love the crisp screen on the retinas and just want to see what everyone's preference.

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I went from the iPad 3 to the rMini. With the 3, I already had an experience with the full sized iPad and wanted to try out the Mini. So far I really like it, and like it better than the full size ones.

3. MisakixMikasa macrumors 6502a

MisakixMikasa

Ever since the first generation iPad mini, I have made my decision of not buying regular size iPad anymore.

4. RickTaylor macrumors 6502a

I never owned any iPad except for the mini. I bought the original soon after it came out, then upgraded to the retina.

The regular sized iPads never interested me, because if I'm carrying something that size, i may as well carry a laptop. The mini just fits into a sports coat pocket, and goes everywhere with me.

5. dsquarius90 macrumors newbie

I got the Air. I have owned every full-size iPad since the very first one, but I took a year off last year to use the iPad mini. I am a student and I like to use it as a laptop replacement, but the screen was just too small to touch-type on with the iPad mini. In short, if you don't have a lot of productivity tasks that you have to do with the iPad, and it's just for consumption, the iPad mini will probably work for you. However, in my experience with the Mini compared to the full-size iPad, the full-size is much better for word processing and reading PDFs on.

6. richardbb85 macrumors 6502a

same thread everyday, why can't people just search and read up

7. noodle15 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ipad

Yes there are a ton of similar threads. I am just curious as to what was purchased or returned and for what. Mine is used for personal as well as business so. Just like to hear others thoughts.

8. samiznaetekto macrumors 65816

Just like there are phones and phablets, there are tablets and laplets. :D

Air is a laplet, not a tablet. It's between tablets and laptops. Mini is a true tablet - larger than phones and phablets, yet still fully portable, carryable, even wearable without needing a bag.

What's YOUR choice? :D

9. shamash macrumors 6502a

shamash

I stopped using my iPad 3 when I got a Macbook Air. It seemed silly when they were about the same size.

Just got the Mini Retina and loving every second of it.

10. samiznaetekto macrumors 65816

Exactly same here. Laplets don't make any sense because ultra portable laptops now are so good. 13 hours on battery with real OS instead of 10 hours with toy OS.

11. Bokes, Dec 14, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2013

Bokes macrumors 6502

Depends on use.
    I use my ipad mostly for reading magazines/graphic novels/web surf.
    I also monitor stocks thoughtout the day. And play music/podcasts.
    Occasionally some netflicks when traveling- stuck on the road.
    Prefer the Air for that stuff vs my retina macbook (which I also love for the real work)
    They may be similar in size/ weight but they serve very different purposes.

Went from iPad 3 to mini and now I'm on the Air.
    The Air works because I enjoy the larger screen while reading.
    It's the perfect size for my needs.
    The mini required too much pinch and zoom.
    Weight is no longer an issue.
    Air just makes sense....for me.
    Good luck.

12. noodle15 thread starter macrumors newbie

I had an ipad 2. Bought an Mac Air and have a mini. Bought the air to replace the ipad 2. I would always catch myself using the mini more now I am on the air constant. I need a tablet for work and with the Mac air not having direct conncpectivity to Internet ipad seems best.

13. enzo thecat macrumors 6502

enzo thecat

Have an Ipad 3. Just bought two Ipad Airs (for my wife and myself). And also bought two minis for my 4 year olds. So I have mine hiding. Everyone else is getting theirs for Christmas. I CAN NOT wait for that.

14. Ladybug macrumors 65816

Ladybug

I got the iPad Air, love it, and I'm keeping it. After a year with the Mini, the font size was just small enough to cause me eye strain so I had to go back to full size. The Air is light enough to hold in one hand so I'm happy with my choice.

15. shamash macrumors 6502a

shamash

You are a wonderful husband and father :) :eek:

16. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

The mini is just too small for me. The Air is perfect sized. Nothing else to say on the matter. :D

17. xPad macrumors regular

Last year I had the iPad 4 and iPad mini. I'd enjoy holding the mini more, but using the iPad more.

This year I got an iPad Air, intending to get a retina mini as well (selling both my old iPads to fund the operation), but still haven't purchased a mini. I really like the mini, but just don't see any need for it myself when the Air is now so thin and light.

I don't think there's any correct choice here. It all depends on what you want personally, and I know I'd be almost identically happy with either, but that I'd be more disappointed in not having a larger screen (for those times when I want a larger screen) than I would be in the larger size and weight of the Air (for those times when bulk is an issue).

Some people would go one way here, and some the other. Both are acceptable choices.

18. adamgbiggs macrumors regular

adamgbiggs

I wanted the mini for ages, then was going to get one in August but as new ones was due to be announced I waited, now I've got an Air, I went with it coz of the trimmed down size, very happy with my choice :D

Adam.

19. PDFierro macrumors 68040

That's pretty much the reason I returned the rMini and got the Air. This was my first iPad, so I wasn't sure what my uses would be on it. But I do a lot of writing and reading PDFs, and the bigger screen really helps me be more productive.

20. mrgossett macrumors 6502

I've done just the opposite... I'm returning the Air to get the rMini. I had the first-gen Mini and loved it, even with the low-res screen. The Air is surprisingly light without a case, but adding one makes it heavier than I want, and I need a case because I do take it out and about. Plus, I can get a 64gb cellular rMini for the same price as the 32gb cellular Air that I had.

21. mrgossett macrumors 6502

I'm a teacher, so I guess I'm at least semi-smart, but I used the Air for about 6 weeks, and liked a lot of things about it. I just decided that for me and my uses of an iPad, the rMini might be better.

22. mrgossett macrumors 6502

Deciding which iPad to buy or use is not a major life and death decision. There are people around the world facing those today and every day. I know, because I've been there. It's just an electronic device, not a measure of anyone's IQ.

23. JackieInCo macrumors 601

My first iPad was a Mini. I now have a Retina Mini waiting for me at the Apple store that I will be leaving soon for to pickup. Mini = perfect size.

24. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

I have an iPad 1, my kids have the original mini.

I have no desire to use theirs... It's too small for what I do.

I still want a MacBook air (11 inch), but it would work at all for how I'm typing this post!

25. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

I choose the Air because it has a better screen in my opinion.:apple: