Which do you hear? Yanny or Laurel

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by obeygiant, May 17, 2018.

?

yanny or laurel

1. yanny

35.3%
  2. laurel

64.7%
  1. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

FNYT

An 18-year-old high school student in Lawrenceville, Ga., Roland Szabo, was the first to post it on Reddit, where it quickly took off. At first, he claimed he had made the audio file himself. But on Thursday Mr. Szabo credited the students identified by Wired as creators of the Instagram post, saying he had been caught up in the media excitement.

Social media bragging rights aside, the source of the clip may frustrate some and vindicate others: the vocabulary.com page for “laurel,” the word for a wreath worn on the head, “usually a symbol of victory.” Sorry, Team Yanny.

Many audio and hearing experts have weighed in.

Jody Kreiman, a principal investigator at the voice perception laboratory at the University of California, Los Angeles, helpfully guessed that “the acoustic patterns for the utterance are midway between those for the two words.”

“The energy concentrations for Ya are similar to those for La,” she said. “N is similar to r; I is close to l.”

Patricia Keating, a linguistics professor and the director of the phonetics lab at U.C.L.A., said: “It depends on what part (what frequency range) of the signal you attend to.”

“I have no idea why some listeners attend more to the lower frequency range while others attend more to the higher frequency range,” she added. “Age? How much time they spend talking on the phone?”

Elliot Freeman, a perception researcher at City University of London, said our brains can selectively tune into different frequency bands once we know what to listen out for, “like a radio.”

“What one hears first depends on the how the sound is reproduced, e.g. on an iPhone speaker or headphones, and on an individual’s own ‘ear print’ which might determine their sensitivity to different frequencies,” he said.

While the experts theorized, online sleuths were hard at work manipulating the bass, pitch or volume.​

This is kind of and interesting take on how people can hear the same thing and perceive it different ways. I think everyone in the PRSI knows what I'm talking about.

2. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

Hmm. I hear Yanni. I can't hear Laurel even when I try.

I think as this thread progresses, we won't be talking about 1/2 of a comedy team or a musician that I can't name one song by.

3. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I hear laurel with three different sets of headphones (I figured I should try a couple since there's mention of frequency ranges).

4. Khalanad75 macrumors 6502

Khalanad75

I originally heard Yanni, but as I focused on only listening to the lower pitch, Laurel came out clearly.

None of my family could hear laurel.

I attributed mine to having played Tuba for 8 years. I have been able to focus my hearing to listen to different pitches of songs or arrangements for long time. I can generally hear bass lines even over a heavy guitar riff.

5. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

definitely hear yanni

not sure how folks do not hear the word ending with the sound of "E"

6. Glmnet1 macrumors 6502a

Definitely Laurel but my wife was sure it's Yanny. Funny thing!

7. ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

This is that stupid dress all over again, isn’t it? :p

It couldn’t be more obvious that it’s “laurel”. Anyone who hears otherwise is just plain wrong ;)

8. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

9. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

I hear both depending on the device it's playing on.

10. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

I hear something like someone with a French accent trying to say, “Larry”

11. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I hear laurel, clearly beginning and ending with an L.

Now my wife, she hears yanni.

May have something to do with the timbre of the voice. I played the word in the Merriam-Webster app, and even my wife heard laurel.

12. Herdfan macrumors 6502

Nor can I. Not even part of Laurel.

13. ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

This reminds me of this optical illusion:

[​IMG]

Is she spinning clockwise or counterclockwise? For a while I could only see clockwise and now it's switching constantly.

It reminded me even more of this gif once I used the NYT's slider to hear both. With the slider in the middle I hear "laurel". If I listen for "yanny", I can hear the "undertones" of it but I cannot hear it as "yanny" until I begin to move the slider to the right, however the point at which I first hear "yanny" varies. The first time I tried it, I heard it at about half-way between the middle and the right, but the second time I tried it, once the slider was only slightly past the middle, I immediately heard "yanny". It's as if my brain "latches on" to one of them and really doesn't want to hear the other until it's nearly impossible not to hear it.

14. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

15. Zenithal macrumors 604

Exactly my words.

16. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

17. ipponrg macrumors 65816

Phonetically "Laurel" and "Yanny" don't even sound the same. Maybe people are tone deaf, or I'm tone deaf.

18. millerj123 macrumors 65816

My wife found a site for this where they change the frequency or whatever. I never heard anything but Laurel, but at some point she heard “yannie”.

19. ipponrg macrumors 65816

I only hear Yannie at neutral. I can't even make out Laurel if I wanted to.

Using this site: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/05/16/upshot/audio-clip-yanny-laurel-debate.html, I had to slide to the 3rd leftmost tick before I heard a faint "Laurel"

According to the times article, it said that the original clip came from here: https://www.vocabulary.com/dictionary/laurel. From vocabulary.com, I hear "laurel"

20. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Clockwise at first. Looked away, still clockwise. Looked away, anticlockwise! Then I read the rest of the thread, scrolled back up here, and she's back to clockwise.

Optical illusions are fun :)

21. snowboarder macrumors 6502

I don't want to call this stupid, but how can anyone hear anything but laurel? It's loud and clear.

22. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

Neither. It just sounds like bad audio synthesis noise.