Which do you use most PowerBook G4 or iBook G4

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by iModFrenzy, Apr 12, 2016.

1. iModFrenzy macrumors 6502a

iModFrenzy

Got curious on everyone's preferences (if you own them of course).

I own a PowerBook G4 1.25ghz 15in and carrying it around is no problem but I always find my self grabbing my iBook 1.33ghz for many tasks now.

Burning Windows iso? On my PowerBook never! On my iBook no problem all the time!

Movies? iBook seems more efficient.

Games? iBook does have less VRAM but I find games to run really well on it.

List goes on. BitTorrent clients never seem to work on my PowerBook yet my iBook is handles it well.

Not to mention, fans barely kick in which is nice! *turns head to PowerBook G4* meanwhile..

If there's one thing I wish was perfect that would be sound, I feel that sound is much nicer on my PowerBook G4. iBook is good too it's just the PowerBook is much better.

I do want to grab a 12in PowerBook G4 one of these days.

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I am sorry, but I lack much of an appreciation for iBooks. I traded three away to get a PowerMac and there is only one in our house because it belongs to my daughter.

So…I'd have to say my 17" PowerBook.

3. iModFrenzy thread starter macrumors 6502a

iModFrenzy

Why is that? I'm not gonna argue that they are better as everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but just curious why

4. bobesch, Apr 12, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2016

bobesch macrumors 6502a

bobesch

I'm dedicated to the 12" models ...
    Before I got my PB-G4 1.5GHz I started with 2 two iBookG4 1.2GHz.
    They are my companions on meetings: one connected to the beamer - the other to steer the beamer-iBook from the distance. My intention was to reduce the risk of USB-viruses.
    One (my personal) iBook holds an SSD, the other one the original HDD.
    I always wanted such an iBook, the first time I saw one - but that time all my stuff was Window-centric.
    It's really a pleasure to work with the iBooks and they do feel robust and handsome.
    The PowerBook is a bit more of a special kind:
    I like the klicking keyboard - but one needs to get used to the slight smell of it.
    The surface carries some bumps - it doesn't forgive any bad treatment at all...
    Then, there's a lot of heat coming from CPU/GPU and the mSATA-mod get tempeartur-controll out of balance and needs "G4FanControl" to stop the book's fan to run constantly.
    Now you can touch and feel the heat and power, that's under the hood, and temperatur rises up ot 65°/70°C (CPU/GPU) ...
    But it's a bit more responsive compared to the iBooks, boots up 10secs faster than the iBook and I didn't encounter tasks, that don't run on the PB compared to the iBooks. Sounds is much better on the PowerBook - I do already regret having them compared side-by-side. ("The better-one is the enemy of the good ones...")
    Currently the PB is my personal device at home and the iBooks are assigned to the "beamer-bag".
    Compared to the iBook tho PB's inside are a bit more of a hassle due to the separate BT and WLAN antennas compared to the iBooks Airport-card.
    Anyway - i like them all!
    Aah, and thanks for reminding me... it's time to check the CorePlayer on the iBook tonight ...
    Update - about CorePlayer: amazingly when streaming video to the iBook the performance of CorePlayer was as smooth as on the PB :)

5. eyoungren, Apr 12, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2016

eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Preference.

At the time I converted to Mac I had owned my TiBook for about a year or so. Coming from the beige/gunmetal gray plastic world of PC having a metal laptop was very different to me.

The more I used it at work and was able to compare what my boss could and could not do with his iBook it also occured to me that being a graphic designer there really was no reason for me to get an iBook.

Later on when I began to see how my metal laptop held up to time versus the various iBooks I saw out there I decided that metal trumped plastic. I also prefer black over white.

This is not to say there are no well taken care of and beautiful iBooks or any POS looking TiBooks out there after so many years. But generally it's been my experience that the TiBook has worn better over time than the iBook.

That said, I do rather like my daughter's iBook G4, but it's not a Mac I would use regularly on my own.

PS. My disdain for the iBook was reinforced after my TiBook died the first time. Around that time I had jury duty and I wanted to take something with me. My mom had let me borrow one of her old iBooks. In a room full of strong WiFi I had no signal and further I discovered I was trying to use the internet with Mac OS X 10.0.4. My mom had never upgraded the OS (Leopard was current then).

Later on I discovered that this iBook had a much larger hard drive than 10.0.4 reported but it's airport antenna was completely non-working. But the experience I had with it that day still stuck with me.

6. Gamer9430 macrumors 68020

Gamer9430

Personally, I have all 3 sizes of PowerBook G4s (Ti included), as well as two iBooks (600MHz G3, 1.33GHz G4) and I like to grab my PowerBooks more than the iBooks. I find that it's a more sturdy build than the plastic iBook and the keyboard is heads over heels better on the PowerBooks than iBook. I find my iBooks to be good "just toss it in a bag and forget about it" laptops since they are pretty durable. Comparing between 12ins, I still like the PowerBook even though it has less RAM and lesser graphics. In addition to reasons stated above, I like that the keyboard is edge to edge (much like a new 12in Apple laptop)
    [​IMG]
    Also, on the repairability front, the PowerBooks once again take the cake since I can actually open them with somewhat ease (I've become pretty quick at opening the 12 and 15in models).

7. Beavix macrumors 6502a

Beavix

I have both, although I don't use them much these days. From all the Macs I have, the iBook has the most reliable optical drive. Many times when I had a CD or a DVD which were unreadable on other computers, that iBook saved the day.

8. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Powerbooks all the way. Easier to work on plus better screens and keyboards.

The low resolution 4x3 screens on iBooks are, IMO, painful in today's world

9. 128keaton macrumors 68020

128keaton

PowerBooks, for the WIN! The iBook that I have feels VERY slow, even though its a higher-end 14" model. My 867Mhz TiBook feels MUCH snappier.

10. bobesch macrumors 6502a

bobesch

Hu, 4x3 screen and keyboard-haptic isn't that different, if you compare G4 12" iBooks/Powerbooks.

11. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I primarily use 15" PBs, but the 12" PB keyboard is miles ahead of the iBook keyboards