Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BigJohno

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 1, 2007
San Francisco
Hey guys im going to be upgrading to a MBP and was wondering which Hard Drive to get. I want alot of storage but do not know if the 200 gig is going to affect the performance. Is it slow?

Thanks

iPhil

macrumors 68040
Hey guys im going to be upgrading to a MBP and was wondering which Hard Drive to get. I want alot of storage but do not know if the 200 gig is going to affect the performance. Is it slow?

Thanks

Yes .. the 200GB drive is rated @ 4200 rpm v 5400 rpm drive

The 4200 rpm is painfully slow .. If it was me thinking on the choice, I would go with the 5400 rpm drive even its little bit smaller in storage.. that's why they make externals

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
Although I don't believe the speed difference is night/day, it is slower and not all that much larger. If you don't absolutely need the extra 40GB internally, I would get the 160GB. There will be faster/larger 2.5" drives in the [near] future.

You'll probably get external storage for backup and expansion no matter what internal drive you have. And, if you need portability, you can get a bus powered model.

I went through the same questions myself when I upgraded to a 17" MBP C2D in November. It's a 160GB.

MacDann

macrumors 6502a
Samsung has announced new 2.5" 200GB 7200rpm drives to start production in mid-May. Cheers!

James :cool:

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=38867

Be aware that many of the latest high capacity 2.5" drives have an additional platter, making them too thick (12mm vs. 9.5mm) to fit in a MacBook or MacBook Pro.

FWIW, I went from a 5400 rpm 100GB drive to a 7200 rpm 100GB drive recently, and it made a substantial difference. I still use external FW drives for backup and scratch disks anyway.

MD

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.