Which Mail Client in OSX

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Philgr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 27, 2005
Lakes - UK
I have a New Imac on order which i plan to use as my main machine.

Up until now i have always used outlook on a PC as my main Email Client

I have never used mail in OSX

What is the Email software of choice ?

Jimmieboy

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2005
Australia
Apple Mail is by far the best. I belive there is outlook for mac but it's no longer being updated. There is microsoft entourage but for me it was nothing compared to apple mail. Entourage is much like outlook. It comes with Microsoft Office for mac.

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Jan 28, 2005
American Riviera
I prefer Mail, but I think that Thunderbird isn't so bad either. If you find you have problems with Mail that you can't overcome, give Thunderbird a look.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Apple Mail.

Used to have GPG bundle, but figured out I didn't do anything that was sensitive enough to bother, and I tried the Letterbox bundle when I moved to a widescreen Mac, but I never really use mail preview, so that wasn't any fun either... ;)

slackersonly

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2006
Apple Mail.
Mainly for system integration and because nothing else has wowed me enough to put in the effort to change.

islandman

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2006
Out of curiosity, how many email accounts can Apple Mail handle? Can it connect to an Exchange server?

oblomow

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2005
Netherlands
islandman said:
Out of curiosity, how many email accounts can Apple Mail handle? Can it connect to an Exchange server?
don't know how many. It can connect to exchange however. I'm using that
right now.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
islandman said:
Out of curiosity, how many email accounts can Apple Mail handle?
Probably an academically high number...

It handles my 6 active (5 POP and 1 IMAP) + 1 disabled just fine... I don't have any more than that... :)

islandman said:
Can it connect to an Exchange server?
Yes.
An Exchange account allows you to connect to your Exchange server via IMAP, and if you enter text in the Outlook Web Access Server field, Mail filters non-email related content from the server. (You can get the text you need to enter from your mail account provider.) For Exchange to work with Mail, Exchange administrators need to configure the Exchange server for IMAP access. Some system administrators may refer to an Outlook Web Access Server as an Internet Information Services (IIS) server.
Link

thworple

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2005
Sussex, England
I did use Entourage for a while, but in the end I decided I just didn't really like it. I was only really using it for Hotmail reasons.

And those reasons weren't strong enough to stay with it. So I switched to Apple Mail. And now I'm mroe than happy. Its simple and fresh. :)