Which GPU for watching 720p/1080p video?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ronnoco, May 28, 2010.

1. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

Which one better handles HD video, the dedicated Intel HD or the nVidia 330M?
    I watch a lot of HD video on my i5 and it mostly handles it without a hiccup but on occasion there is some slight stuttering when there is fast motion (with 1080p, the 720p stuff is handled well)...I think the default chip for most video is the Intel HD but I would think the nVidia would better handle these bigger files...any thoughts?
    (of course with battery use I know the nVidia is a resourse/energy hog)...

2. miicah macrumors regular

I can only assume the 330M will be better, as the integrated graphics in most systems is terrible.

3. Ronnoco thread starter macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

That was the logical assumption I had as well but I was reading an article that mentioned that the Intel-HD integrated was optimized for HD viewing...That is why I was wondering if it might be the better choice for HD video watching...(also, it doesn't seem to kick the fans into gear as the nVidia is prone to do)...
    I have tried both (although not extensively) and haven't really been able to notice a discernible difference yet...there may be no diference at all...:confused:

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

5. G5Unit macrumors 68020

G5Unit

I'd expect every GPU on the currently available MBP to play 720p and 1080p just fine, as long as it's in a format like H.264 or .MOV. For full screen flash in 1080p, you may want to go for the 330.

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Full screen Flash won't even play on my iMac. No matter what GPU or CPU you have, it's not going to be smooth as Flash is piece of crap

7. Ronnoco thread starter macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

Thank you HH...unless I am pushing the HD video out to the external which automatically chooses the nVidia, the default GPU (Intel IGP) is what is used I suppose...

8. Ronnoco thread starter macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

Yes, I have had some serious stuttering with full screen flash...sux...

9. G5Unit macrumors 68020

G5Unit

I don't know if my Apr. 2010 MBP is an exception, but I've found it to run 1080p just fine from youtube in full screen...

10. Ronnoco thread starter macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

I seem to have intermittent problems with full screen 1080p YouTube video...sometimes it's fine and other times it is nearly unwatchable...
    I'm thinking some of that is bandwidth but not all of it...:confused:

11. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

One thing you don't see is the bitrate. Some 1080p have lower bitrate meaning that they are lower quality and will thus play better but on the other hand, some have higher bitrate which can really crash Flash.

Try downloading the latest Flash http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/flashplayer10/gala/

12. Ronnoco thread starter macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

Thanks, I'll give that a try...

13. dsprimal macrumors 6502a

dsprimal

14. Ronnoco thread starter macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

I have the gfx app force the IGP for video (and for battery use)...so far it seems to work well...I haven't noticed a great difference between the two as far as quality or frame rate...

15. dsprimal macrumors 6502a

dsprimal

16. Ronnoco thread starter macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

As I stated earlier, I was under the impression that the nVidia 330M would far better handle HD video (especially the 1080p stuff), but I just haven't noticed a difference between the Intel IGP and the nVidia...:confused:
    You'd think the better GPU would be the obvious choice but apparently Intel did a nice job of optimizing the onboard chip to work with the Core processor for HD play...usually the IGP's I have owned/used have been horrid, but this newer Intel seems to be a step or two above the rest...

17. endophilin macrumors newbie

My late 2009 Mac Mini with Nvidia GEforce 9400M does an admirable job.I use PLEX and VLC players. So any video card/GPU better than this should not pose any problems.

18. thesk1llerz macrumors member

thesk1llerz

i have a 2010 mbp 13' and it sorta lags when I play 720p and 1080p videos of youtube. But I am in the html5 beta version of youtube though...:)

19. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Try other than Flash. Even old GMA950 Minis can handle 1080p fine as long as it's not Flash.

20. dsprimal macrumors 6502a

dsprimal

did you try playing the 1080p videos on the apple site?

21. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

Plex, XBMC have GPU acceleration but needs NVIDIA 9400M, 320M, or 330M. This is for MKV h264 playback btw.

22. Ronnoco thread starter macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

That's a great suggestion...I'll try that as a test with each GPU and report back tonight...

23. Brandon263 macrumors 6502

Interesting discussion, I used the gfx app to play the Dark Night trailer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQ5U8suTUw0), which is 1080p and found stuttering with the Intel HD, while the 330M plays it smoothly. Yay for the 330M! (?)

24. Ronnoco thread starter macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

Yes Brandon. After some extensive testing I too now see a difference between the Intel and the nVIDIA on 720p and especially 1080p video...the nVIDIA is flawless while the Intel seems picky about certain videos (plays some fine and others with a slight stutter)...
    EDIT: That Dark Knight clip did challenge my i5 especially in full screen (using Chrome and the nVIDIA))...it played ok small but it def dropped a few frames in full screen...I was surprised that it had problems...:confused:

25. Brandon263 macrumors 6502

Hmm...that's a bit strange. Maybe try Firefox (after installing Gala). It worked fine for me.