Which graphics card is best? Macbook Pro v iMac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by JazzJasper, Jul 28, 2010.

1. JazzJasper macrumors newbie

Hi,

I already own a Macbook (still works like new even though it's 3 and a half years old) but my wife keeps wanting to use it when I need to work on it so I'm thinking of also getting either a Macbook Pro or an iMac.

I was thinking that if I am getting a new computer then I may as well get one that I can play good games on. The problem is that they both have different graphics cards and because I have always owned games consoles I have no idea which is better/what the difference is. Below is what each machine has...

Macbook Pro - NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M with 512 MB

iMac - ATI Radeon HD 5750 with 1GB.

So basically which is best? I have no idea which is better and which is likely to last longer in terms of supporting games coming out over the next couple of years. Also what is the difference between the i5 intel processor and the i7?

Any advice/knowledge would be great.

Thanks!

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

ATI 5750 is significantly better, about 1.5-2 times faster.

ATI 5750 benchmarks (it's same as mobility 5850)
    NVIDIA 330M GT benchmarks

The 5850 iMac uses is even faster as it has 1GB of GDDR5, not GDDR3 as most in those tests

3. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

The iMac's graphics processor will blow away the graphics processor that is of the Macbook Pro.

4. JazzJasper thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your responses!

I'm a pro-musician so I like to be able to take my music and the stuff I've done on Logic with me, also Mainstage is a great application and I really want to start gigging it. As much as I hate to admit it the gaming would be a secondary thing.

Do you think that the MBP would limit me in terms of what games I could play? I'm not talking about the most demanding games out at the moment but good simulators and RPG's are great time killers in a studio. Will the MBP still run these sorts of games? Or should I just take my current macbook out with me (which isn't very powerful by todays standards) and have the iMac for at home? It's a genuinely hard choice!

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Both will play all games at at least low settings, usually medium-high. Do you need portability? If it sits on the table, the iMac is a better buy