Which HDD for upgrade? Mid 2007 MacBook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by pai, Dec 27, 2013.

1. pai macrumors newbie

Hello! I have a Mid 2007 MacBook!
    It's working fine, but in the recent years my HDD has gotten more constantly louder and annoying, so I want to put a new drive in to shut it up!
    (It's not the fan, that's making noise, is it.....? How do I know? :confused:

Anyway, if it's the drive, there seem to be so many kinds of drives out there, I don't know how to go about looking... HDD, SSD, 5400, 7400, anything else I should take into account? Do you guys have any recommendations?

I'm looking to spend less than 100 dollars because when I upgraded my original RAM (512MB) to 4GB, I felt no speed difference, so I am not very hopeful about the hard drive upgrade improving Mac performance.
    (Or would it?! If I get a super fast drive, would running heavy apps like Photoshop become smoother even on this old Mac? I thought it was mainly RAM and Processor's job.)

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

2007 Mac will see a much improved speed bump with an SSD over an HDD. Of course, the capacity of the new drive will be (depending on the user) significantly or marginally lower than a conventional HDD.

3. pai thread starter macrumors newbie

cool! thanks I will try to get an SSD.
    What do you mean by "capacity" - like GB size? will be marginally or significantly smaller??? What do you mean?:confused: