Which HDD upgrade is better?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by supern0va, Sep 29, 2010.

1. supern0va macrumors newbie

Hi.

I have a 13" MBP (mid-09) with a 2.26ghz C2D, 4gb ram (just upgraded) and 160gb hdd.

I am thinking of swapping out the existing hitachi drive for one with better performance and capacity. An SSD is out cos of the price.

I am considering the WD Scorpio Black 500gb 7200rpm HDD. Does anyone have this and how does it fare? What other alternatives should I consider? I've heard good things about the Seagate Momentus 7200.4 too.

Any help will be appreciated. I intend to use Disk Utility to copy my OSX partition over, and use Winclone to copy my Win 7 32bit bootcamp partition.

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I have the WD Scorpio Black, and I love it. Great drive and WD quality too, I would recommend it

3. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

I currently have the 320GB WD in my 17" and I've been happy with it. Based on that, I'd probably check out their 500 when I'm ready to upgrade again.

Your migration plan is good. I've been using the same for years (for OS-X), and more recently, Winclone for the bootcamp partition.

4. nwbusa macrumors regular

I have the same base config as you, and will add another vote for WD drives. Although I went with the 1TB version for the extra space. Fits like a glove and very quiet and dependable.

5. akapaul macrumors member

akapaul

newegg.com currently has this harddrive on sale for $68 shipped if you use promo code EMCYXNP38.

Some reviews say that this hard drive runs hotter than the OEM hard drive.

Some people prefer WD and others prefer Seagate. Both are good in my opinion.

There is also the hybrid Seagate which has 4GB SSD partition. Not sure how well that would work. Still reading about it, lol.

6. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Seagate is garbage IMO. I opted for the Hitachi TravelStar in both my previous MacBook Pro and my current one. I am very satisfied with it.

7. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

That was the other drive I was considering. I have a friend who purchased one - have to see if he's installed it yet and what his opinion is. He mentioned reading reports of it running a tad cooler than the WD, and perhaps a bit quieter (though neither is noisy by any means).

8. Mac-key macrumors 6502a

^^^^ I just installed this one a month or so ago. So far, runs great, no extra noise, vibration, and I still get the same battery life.

9. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

10. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

I have two drives a little diff but both really good

WD 500GB 7200RPM

Hitachi 320GB 7200 RPM

I am thinking of getting a Seagate Hybrid 500GB 7200RPM to replace the Hitachi, but waiting a month or so to see if anything new pops up for the Holidays.